Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

68RFE Shift RPM Flare, is this Normal?

Wilder

Reaction score
I haven't really been a fan of how my '22 2500 ( with 10k miles on it) shifts, especially on the highway. Talking primarily unloaded, or with up to 1500lb weight in the bed, but not towing here. First off, it really likes to drop from 6th to 5th when accelerating, when it really doesn't feel like it needs to. For example, if I am in 6th going ~70, and move to the passing lane and try to accelerate to 75 or 80, it will drop down to 5th. In the process, the torque converter unlocks, the engine speed flares up to the high 2000's for 2-3 seconds as the torque converter slips, then eventually settles back down to about 400-500RPM below the max RPM it achieved during the shift.

Is this normal? It seems excessive to me. I have heard some shift flare is normal with the 68RFE, but when it revs like that, it makes me want to take my foot off the accelerator - feels like that much slipping can't be good for the transmission. Thoughts?

jkempken

Reaction score
100% normal, you will see that, flares pretty high towing up hills. Don't take your foot off the pedal, just let her eat.

Wilder

Reaction score
Ok, glad to hear it's normal. Seems like it would actually be quicker if it would stay in gear. Is that too much stress on the transmission if it's towing?

Steevo

Reaction score
I know that one of the things I liked about my old 2004.5 RAM Cummins 6.4/68RFE was the ability to stab it on a grade and have it just move out without downshifting, brute-powering up the grade. I think the newer 6.7/68RFE setups are more tuned for efficiency and downshift sooner.

Firebird

Reaction score
Normal, just drive the fool out of it!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I know that one of the things I liked about my old 2004.5 RAM Cummins 6.4/68RFE was the ability to stab it on a grade and have it just move out without downshifting, brute-powering up the grade. I think the newer 6.7/68RFE setups are more tuned for efficiency and downshift sooner.
04.5 would be 5.9L and 48re….

Users who are viewing this thread