Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

68rfe lugging

TLITT6981

Reaction score
Anybody else feel like the 68 should be downshifting sooner instead of just keep lugging anywhere from 4th to 6th? Or is it just me because I’m not used to these trannys ?

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
no other way than a tune or use the gear selector to lock out a gear.

#68lyfe

Jmar

Reaction score
Around town I lock out 6th gear and it works well. Stops it from shifting to 6th and being sluggish.

2500Ram

Reaction score
Its not so much that its lugging that it just goes into the highest gear that the engine still has power to keep you going. Usually if you slowly push in throttle the turbo will light up and take care of things and if you stab it you'll get a downshift.

jebruns

Reaction score
I'm almost in the other camp. Lugging means lower revs, which usually means better MPG. I'm good with that, and wish they'd hold top gear even longer. About the only time I use my truck, it's got a trailer behind it, so in Tow Haul mode most of the time. I don't think it will shift into 6th until you get up around 55mph in that mode.

I trust that Mopar engineered the system so that the lugging is doing no harm to the driveline, given how reliable these trannys are in stock trucks.

Calebsbighorn

Reaction score
Good to hear the lugging is something experienced by you all too. I just underwent a 68rfe swap from a blown 48re and the lugging on the interstate is something I virtually never felt in the 48. I bought the 68 tranny remanufactured https://reman-transmission.com/transmission-codes/?code=68RFE and it has been good so far other than the lugging. Gas mileage has been way better though obviously

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

AEV_CUMMINS

Reaction score
Tow/Haul makes it behave wildly better for what I imagine is the driving style of atleast 45% of us on here. I went the tuning route and it fixed the issue almost entirely.. except for the 37'' tires I have send the RPM to the floor in some cases before a shift happens. You may consider your tire size as well. But if I am wanting to drive on the harder end or do not want to be in 6th gear, I will either lock it out or engage tow/haul.

Users who are viewing this thread