Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

67 Designs… wtf

pizzatots

Reaction score
Tried installing the 67 designs plug and play rail. Used their screws, hand tightened. I’m not a total doofas and have been wrenching for 30 years.

Right side radio fastener decided to just spin and wouldn’t come out. Wound up rounding out its hole. I’m miffed how this happened.

Ideas?

This is a 2023 truck with the 12in radio.

Attachments

• IMG_5700.jpeg
    IMG_5700.jpeg
    413 KB · Views: 208

Gear box

Reaction score
Time to brush up on your plastic welding skills.
small piece of an old front bumper should work for material.

pizzatots

Reaction score
Damn bud, you should only use a 1/2 impact on large bolts!

I am going to guess this is a manufacturing defect with the truck.

My guess is either the supplied screw was a touch too wide, compared to the OEM screw and it allowed the insert to start spinning - or the insert wasn't seated in properly. They have little wings on them that are supposed to expand.

Not a bad idea! I think the 4th gens used something like this.

Time to brush up on your plastic welding skills.
small piece of an old front bumper should work for material.

Good idea. For now, I'm just using the one screw to hold the kit and caboodle to the dash. With all of the snaps, the radio shoulllld stay in place. The 67 designs rail is held in place with some extra VHB I had around - and some tiny screws. What fun it was!

PepeLeDouche

Reaction score
Mine did the same thing installing last night. I am less than pleased. The supplied longer screws went in with a touch more difficulty than they should have, I suspect they aren't the same thread pitch as the OEM fasteners. It is cold here and my truck doesn't fit in the garage, but I will update with photos when I come up with a resolution.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Always test fit replacement parts before remounting the radio..

If those screws don't go all in by hand before you mount that back up, this is the stuff that happens.

When I fabricated my own mount, I dug some trim/panel screws out of the parts bin that had the same pitch and some extra length. Take the OE to the hardware store if you must and find a (longer) mate.

Those inserts in plastic are not meant to support a lot of torque OR weight. They're there to provide shear support for the radio bezel. I almost think they should provide a thin U shape bracket with nut to put on the underside of the radio mount. Or perhaps just a flat piece with a new nut to spread the load. As it is, the tiny flange of that nut is taking a large part of the load of all those levers you put above. I dunno, maybe it's more of a side load than a tension load that I'm thinking.

That said, I did find after running a flat plate for a while that if you don't fill that void below with washers or a plug or standoff of some sort, where the screw cup is, it will eventually warp and deform both the tray and supporting screw mount after time in the sun.

When I redid my setup and installed a Rubigrid, I designed and printed a 3D base to fill that void and angle the Rubigrid up enough that I didn't have to file down the corner.

1705168107404.png

1705168139702.png

Last edited:

pizzatots

Reaction score
Mine did the same thing installing last night. I am less than pleased. The supplied longer screws went in with a touch more difficulty than they should have, I suspect they aren't the same thread pitch as the OEM fasteners. It is cold here and my truck doesn't fit in the garage, but I will update with photos when I come up with a resolution.

glad it wasnt just me. 67designs just blamed me for using power tools, when I certainly did not.

Users who are viewing this thread