Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

66rfe to g56 swap

StevenKuhn

Reaction score
I have been looking into this recently for my 17 Power Wagon and have the mechanical side pretty much figured out as far as I can tell. 5.7 hemi flywheel and clutch, 5.7 g56 (for ease of installation, can use a cummins g56 by swap g bellhousing and input shaft) my bw 44-47 will bolt up no problem, modified driveshafts, a few custom brackets to retain sensor connectors and to make a set of fuel lines as the factory lines pass over the 66 right where the g56 shifter will go through the floor. Oh and a g56 cummins trans mount. I'm sure there are a few little odds and ins that will come up during the project. Tuning would be handled by Jay Greene at Greene Racing. He seems confident he can get it all sorted that way. Looks like I'm to the point of parts sourcing. Anyone have any input on this idea or possibly tried or completed this swap? Thanks boys.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
There was never a provision for the 4th Gen to have a gas manual transmission.

Many have tried and it ends at the computer programing.

If you can get someone to figure that out...the rest is just mechanics

Good luck!

StevenKuhn

Reaction score
There was never a provision for the 4th Gen to have a gas manual transmission.

Many have tried and it ends at the computer programing.

If you can get someone to figure that out...the rest is just mechanics

Good luck!
What do you mean by provision? The 2500 and 3500 cabs are all the same. Only difference from what I can see is the actual hole in the floor for the shifter.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
What do you mean by provision? The 2500 and 3500 cabs are all the same. Only difference from what I can see is the actual hole in the floor for the shifter.
The computer. There was never a gas manual in the 4th Gen.

I would gather all parts from a 4th Gen Cummins parts list...or a wrecked one if you get lucky.

Might as well use what fits.

StevenKuhn

Reaction score
The computer. There was never a gas manual in the 4th Gen.

I would gather all parts from a 4th Gen Cummins parts list...or a wrecked one if you get lucky.

Might as well use what fits.
Right 4th gen for the clutch assembly and clutch hydraulics, shifter boots and stuff like that. All my current trim pieces will work just fine. I could get a cummins g56 but would have to change the bellhousing and input shaft. As far as the computer goes, there is literally an option in the factory file to enable manual trans. That would lead me to believe it should be fairly straight forward with that enabled and mds disabled. Jay greene would take care of the tuning though. I'm trying to get a fabrication business started so this has taken the back burner for the time being.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Right 4th gen for the clutch assembly and clutch hydraulics, shifter boots and stuff like that. All my current trim pieces will work just fine. I could get a cummins g56 but would have to change the bellhousing and input shaft. As far as the computer goes, there is literally an option in the factory file to enable manual trans. That would lead me to believe it should be fairly straight forward with that enabled and mds disabled. Jay greene would take care of the tuning though. I'm trying to get a fabrication business started so this has taken the back burner for the time being.
If there is a provision in there...you need to sell that info...I am not currently pursuing this anymore...but if that is true ...I am interested again!

Users who are viewing this thread