Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6.7's First Oil Change - I did not see that coming....

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Only six months old 5000 miles. I thought filter were supposed to be changed at ever oil change. My bad I guess. I have trouble finding nderstanding things sometimes. Thank y’all for input

The filters and oil are on 12 month/15K mile intervals.

A lot of people like to do the initial oil change early, myself included. I did my first oil change at 1 month at 1500 miles. I’ll do the 2nd oil chains, and fuel filter change, when the filters come due at 15K miles which will likely be before one year. After that the oil and fuel filters will get done at the same time.

Mikeyram

Reaction score

A lot of people like to do the initial oil change early, myself included. I did my first oil change at 1 month at 1500 miles. I’ll do the 2nd oil chains, and fuel filter change, when the filters come due at 15K miles which will likely be before one year. After that the oil and fuel filters will get done at the same time.
I think I’m running 7500 miles on an oil change. Valvaline syn with molar filter. Fuel filter I less than 15 k. Not sure bout air filter. I’m running in a clean environment. Many thanks. First disel truck,

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I think I’m running 7500 miles on an oil change. Valvaline syn with molar filter. Fuel filter I less than 15 k. Not sure bout air filter. I’m running in a clean environment. Many thanks. First disel truck,

The owners manual has all the change intervals laid out pretty well. I’d read thru it, even if it wasn’t your first diesel.

Reaction score

What brand of fuel filters do you recommend?

22BlackBigHorn

Reaction score
I am about to do mine. I will be adding the drain valve, I've used those before and loved it. I never had an issue with it on my 2017 Ram Power Wagon.
I don't see it being an issue on this truck. I will not be wheeling this truck as hard as I did my Power Wagon.

I'll sticking to the Mopar Brand oil and fuel filters.
I'll be using the 5W-40 Valvoline full syntenic. Truck has 8K miles and the oil was changed by the dealer at 4K miles.
I plan on doing the change every 5-7K here on after.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I am about to do mine. I will be adding the drain valve, I've used those before and loved it. I never had an issue with it on my 2017 Ram Power Wagon.
I don't see it being an issue on this truck. I will not be wheeling this truck as hard as I did my Power Wagon.

I'll sticking to the Mopar Brand oil and fuel filters.
I'll be using the 5W-40 Valvoline full syntenic. Truck has 8K miles and the oil was changed by the dealer at 4K miles.
I plan on doing the change every 5-7K here on after.

Nothing wrong with the mopar oil filter, but there are much better options. The mopar filter is one of the least efficient options.

22BlackBigHorn

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the mopar oil filter, but there are much better options. The mopar filter is one of the least efficient options.
Really, least efficient? Wouldn't think that.

What do you recommend to use?

flan

Reaction score
Fleetguard LF16035 is the upgraded fleetguard filter.

JD2510

Reaction score
For fuel filters I have a 2020 Ram 2500 I changed to the FASS system with a BEANS sump. My 2018 Ram 2500 had a metal spin on fuel filter on the rear, the 2020 rear fuel filter is like the front one except turned upside down. I’m not a big fan of it.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
For fuel filters I have a 2020 Ram 2500 I changed to the FASS system with a BEANS sump. My 2018 Ram 2500 had a metal spin on fuel filter on the rear, the 2020 rear fuel filter is like the front one except turned upside down. I’m not a big fan of it.
The FASS is not good enough filtration you are doing more harm than good with that setup… OEM is far superior the FASS unless you are pushing 700+HP

flan

Reaction score
I've heard about the baldwins. Do they provide the same filtration as the Mopar for the rear filters..
Here’s a previous thread;

Users who are viewing this thread