Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6.7 differences 2018 vs 2022

mjb765

Reaction score
I had a 2018 2500 with the diesel and I am looking at a 2022 2500 diesel. Any significant changes to worry about?? I don't need the diesel and I do a lot of short trips and don't tow often, but this one may have just fallen in my lap--too nice not to consider. All things equal I would choose gas, but I don't have that choice right now. Loved my 2018 so is there anything new or different to worry about with the 2022??

BikePilot

Reaction score
The overall chassis and design is the same, but the details are almost all different. Generally most of the changes make the newer truck a touch quieter and more refined. In terms of stuff to worry about the motor is a new design and now uses hydraulic lifters. Some folks have had issues with these, I do not know how wide spread the issue is.

flan

Reaction score
A fair amount of engine changes. New changes I can think of off the top of my head; CGI block, hydraulic lifters, scissor gear on camshaft, 10 bolt crankshaft, larger turbo, cast aluminum pistons, forged connecting rods, different compression ratio and bigger head bolts if I remember correctly.

mjb765

Reaction score
A fair amount of engine changes. New changes I can think of off the top of my head; CGI block, hydraulic lifters, scissor gear on camshaft, 10 bolt crankshaft, larger turbo, cast aluminum pistons, forged connecting rods, different compression ratio and bigger head bolts if I remember correctly.

Some sound good--others not so much.........anybody have anything negative about the new one??

flan

Reaction score
The hydraulic lifters have been troublesome for a few, not a large number of reports but they are out there.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Some sound good--others not so much.........anybody have anything negative about the new one??
The engine differences have been covered. The only thing I would suggest avoiding on the newer trucks, if you can, is the 12" screen. It's a glitchy SOB. Maybe the truck you're looking at has the standard screen?

I keep hearing Ram is working on a flash to fix the bugs but not sure where that stands. I believe some updates have came out just not sure how many of the bugs have been fixed yet. I guess time will tell.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
didn't they move to 14mm head bolts as well?

otherwise, cgi block, scissor gear, injectors, turbo, lifters, 10 bolt cs

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
so the new cam starts its life as really heavy walled pipe?

phatboy64

Reaction score
The engine differences have been covered. The only thing I would suggest avoiding on the newer trucks, if you can, is the 12" screen. It's a glitchy SOB. Maybe the truck you're looking at has the standard screen?

I keep hearing Ram is working on a flash to fix the bugs but not sure where that stands. I believe some updates have came out just not sure how many of the bugs have been fixed yet. I guess time will tell.
I am not discounting any issue you have had, however sometimes the only feedback that gets reported is negative. I have had my 2023 Limited since the end of march and have had zero issues with the 12" screen, matter of fact I love it... That said others like you have had different experiences...i just would not be so quick to categorically tell other to stay away from it. just my 2 cents...

tchur1

Reaction score
I am not discounting any issue you have had, however sometimes the only feedback that gets reported is negative. I have had my 2023 Limited since the end of march and have had zero issues with the 12" screen, matter of fact I love it... That said others like you have had different experiences...i just would not be so quick to categorically tell other to stay away from it. just my 2 cents...
I have a 22 and share your thoughts. I love it and have had no significant issues. 12” screen was a selling point when I ordered and I would do it again without hesitation.

jebruns

Reaction score
I get what you're saying. Maybe they'd made improvements by '23. Seems like in '22 it was a fairly widespread issue. When I told the dealer shop my 12" screen was malfunctioning routinely, they said, yeah yours and everybody else's.
Not in my 22 2500 CTD. I like the 12" screen and would recommend it. The only issue I have is it will not retain my TTPMS settings. But there is a new update, so I'm hoping it cures that issue. Otherwise, a very solid product.

EDIT: The latest U5 software update (27.46) did fix this issue for me.
EDIT2: Maybe not.

I also owned an 18 2500 CTD. The 22 is nicer, but it was a jump from a Laramie to a Ltd Longhorn too. As far as the motor, no noticeable difference to me. New motor is slightly quieter though. The small number of lifter issues might be related to folks going by the old oil standard, like using Rotella T4 15-40 instead of the now recommended T6 5-40.

Last edited:

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Ok, I give. The 12" screen is not an issue. I deleted the post.

Aketay

Reaction score
I have a 19’ with 451,000 miles on it now. Parts and availability are extremely expensive and hard to find. Water pump lasted 416k and cost $715 to replace. New turbocharger remanufactured cost $6200 installed. Tie rod bar cost $600. Just looked up exhaust manifold bolt for $49 as one of mine is broken. A friend just replaced his motor with a short block because the lifter twisted in the block and shoved a valve into the piston. He converted it back to solid lifters for a total cost of $21,000. I run mine commercially and that makes it a little easier to justify the cost of maintaining it. But when compared to my 2016 at the same mileage, this one has cost me $12,000 more to run.

flan

Reaction score
I have a 19’ with 451,000 miles on it now. Parts and availability are extremely expensive and hard to find. Water pump lasted 416k and cost $715 to replace. New turbocharger remanufactured cost $6200 installed. Tie rod bar cost $600. Just looked up exhaust manifold bolt for $49 as one of mine is broken. A friend just replaced his motor with a short block because the lifter twisted in the block and shoved a valve into the piston. He converted it back to solid lifters for a total cost of $21,000. I run mine commercially and that makes it a little easier to justify the cost of maintaining it. But when compared to my 2016 at the same mileage, this one has cost me $12,000 more to run.
Those prices are outrageous, considering the actual part costs.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You can get an aftermarket drop in VGT for less than that thats a little crazy for pricing

Nick

Reaction score

I think the 12 inch screen is luck of the draw. I have had my 20 for 4 yrs and never a problem . I probably just jinxed myself

jebruns

Reaction score
I think the 12 inch screen is luck of the draw. I have had my 20 for 4 yrs and never a problem . I probably just jinxed myself
I think that used to be true. When I first started looking at ordering a 22 back in December of '21, I did a lot of research. uConnet5 issues where very common on these forums. Kind of worried me as it was very hit or miss. But these days, I'd say 90% of that traffic has evaporated. I think they have finally gotten on top of the major issues with the U5 systems.

techman

Reaction score
I don't need the diesel and I do a lot of short trips and don't tow often

I think you answered your own question and why are you moving on from the 2018?

BTW my 22 with a 12" screen....no issues 12k miles.

Users who are viewing this thread