Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6.4L Hemi information needed.

Seth55

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone's responses! They have really help to narrow it down. More so a 2500 or 3500 now based on what camper we're going with. I'm not going much over 30' and max would be 32'.
I'd like to stay with a bumpet/toe hitch pull.

Is this your first camper or are you experienced at towing a camper?
Campers I've pulled a couple times. 7000 lbs with a half ton.
Otherwise I drove tractor trailer for 3yrs with a 53" van and flatbed. An empty 53' van is like a sail when it's windy, will blow you all over in heavy wind. I always liked having 25k minimum in the box.

Seth55

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the information and suggestions. It's really helping me decide what I should do with my RAM build. I've found the camper my wife likes and walked thru it. It's a 4 season Grand Design Momentum 25G class. 30'11 and a Dry weight of 8484 lbs.

Edit: My other comment wasn't showing up when I refreshed. So I wrote another comment. So sorry for commenting 2x in a row

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the information and suggestions. It's really helping me decide what I should do with my RAM build. I've found the camper my wife likes and walked thru it. It's a 4 season Grand Design Momentum 25G class. 30'11 and a Dry weight of 8484 lbs.

Edit: My other comment wasn't showing up when I refreshed. So I wrote another comment. So sorry for commenting 2x in a row

You won’t ever be sorry you went with an auto-level 3500.

JohnandDonna

Reaction score

Grand Design is a pretty good brand. You should really enjoy it. A 2500 with the auto level air suspension would be perfect for what you are towing. Be sure the get the 4.10 rear end as well. And when not towing the 2500 will ride much better than a 3500.

Dewey

Reaction score
We have a 22 2500 bighorn 6.4 crew cab short bed with 4.10 gears. Also a Momentum 21G, truck pulls it well gas mileage is from 6 when at higher elevation 9000-12000 mostly 7-8 mpg. The trailer is tall and gets heavy fast. I think ours is 7600 dry. Then water all your stuff you take with you camping, then a 4 seat RZR. I bet I'm 11000 lbs. If we don't take the RZR the trailer feels much lighter and mileage is 8-9. Around town mileage is 11-12 highway has been as good as 19 it does not like stop and go traffic. Been happy with how well this truck pulls. I would not have a diesel just not my thing I like gas. I would recommend 4.10 gears and some kind of sway control hitch.

Seth55

Reaction score
We have a 22 2500 bighorn 6.4 crew cab short bed with 4.10 gears. Also a Momentum 21G, truck pulls it well gas mileage is from 6 when at higher elevation 9000-12000 mostly 7-8 mpg. The trailer is tall and gets heavy fast. I think ours is 7600 dry. Then water all your stuff you take with you camping, then a 4 seat RZR. I bet I'm 11000 lbs. If we don't take the RZR the trailer feels much lighter and mileage is 8-9. Around town mileage is 11-12 highway has been as good as 19 it does not like stop and go traffic. Been happy with how well this truck pulls. I would not have a diesel just not my thing I like gas. I would recommend 4.10 gears and some kind of sway control hitch.

Thanks for the info. Do you have the air suspension? I'm on the fence about that. I've been meaning to do some research it to see if there's any common issues.

Dewey

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Do you have the air suspension? I'm on the fence about that. I've been meaning to do some research it to see if there's any common issues.
No I do not. I feel like it just more to go wrong. But I do like the way a truck looks with air. They are level my truck had 2.5 inches of rake before I did a changed the spring s in the front. Now its 1.250 inches of rake.

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
@Seth55 Not trying to sway you either way on the factory air, just a pic for reference. We were loaded to the max for week long trip to the beach, all the camping gear we normally have plus all the beach stuff. Family of 5, im the only male and the other 4 have no idea what “pack lite” means…….just fueled up, truck sits perfectly level. Stock suspension, NO AIRBAGS.

Attachments

• IMG_1780.jpeg
    IMG_1780.jpeg
    565.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

jetrinka

Reaction score
NO DIESEL REGUARDLESS THE ARGUMENT!!
So to the diesel fan boys or to those that want to talk diesel in this thread.... in all due respect, please stay out of the conversation or don't start talking diesel facts. I'm going gas no matter what.

I'm going with either a 2500 or 3500 in the Tradesman or the Big Horn package. But im looking for some information before ordering one. Please don't guess, I'm wanting factual information please. Thanks.

This year is the truck. Next year is the camper depending how impatient me and the wife get. Once the kids all graduate, My wife and I will be taking a month long trip every year. Then in retirement we will travel the south staying a few weeks here and there.

EDIT: No more more Dually.
Going with SWB LB or SB 4x4.
Reason for the tow hauler is the UTV and room.

Camper - Toy hauler in a tow behind or 5th wheel.
Weight - 10k or up to 14k max loaded.

Information needed
1. MPG 2500/3500 Empty and Towing?
2. What are you Towing? Weight, and terrain?
3. Advantages/Disadvantages?
4. Other? ( I know mpg would be better in a deisel, and easier to pull hills)

Edit: added to information needed.
I’ll add my .02

1: Depends on my right foot. But unloaded I average 12-13 MPG mixed and 16ish on a nice flat road trip sub 70 MPH. Loaded I don’t have data for mixed really but get between 9-12 MPG on the highway depending on terrain.
2: The 9 MPG loaded is trips over Cascade mountain passes. 12 is 70MPH traveling relatively flat I-5 from WA into OR to visit wife’s family. Both towing our 5k loaded single axle TT
3: For my usage the gas makes sense. Going up the pass on HWY 2 I slow it down to avoid revving the piss out of it but I don’t mind. Might upgrade to a larger trailer at some point but since I don’t mind going slow over passes the extra weight won’t bother the truck or me. I enjoy the lack of diesel emissions.
Disadvantages are obviously slower doing the same amount of work as the diesel with less MPG.
4: I have a PW so payload is horrible but a regular gasser enjoys much better payload ( if that’s important to you). I’ve got a set of bags installed to combat the PW squat and it works great.

406Linetrash

Reaction score
Had a 2020 CCSB 6.4 4.10’s. Leveled on 285/75/18 all terrains. Went to gas from diesel as truck was sitting a lot and not going as far.
Live in the Rockies. Traveled all over.
Mileage empty 12. Multiple single digit tanks even empty.
Pulling Polaris ranger on double axle trailer. 10
Pulling 30’ 5th wheel. 9800 lbs. 1800 pin weight. 6-8 mpg.
Pros: cheap maintenance. Lighter front end. Warms up fast in winter
Cons. Fuel mileage sucks. Range when towing and short bed fuel tank is terrible. 150-200 miles.
Replaced it with another Cummins. Was going too far too often. I know you said you didn’t want to have that discussion. So I’ll leave it at that.

324nemt

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Ram 2500 crew cab 6.4 short box, with the air ride and 3.73 gears. 20-inch tires (just got some new Falkens Wildpeak AT3W's, that I haven't towed with yet). We pull a Grand Design 25G with a Polaris General 2-seater in it. We have a Weigh Safe WDH. Get 12 to 13 mpg empty and usually 6 to 7 mpg pulling. Can't wait for a larger fuel tank to come out as range is crap (really my only complaint). The truck has 39,000 miles with 4,000 of them pulling the 25G. In Eastern MT but have pulled some mountains in the west and trip to Black Hills. Truck pulls it great. Love the air ride and Weigh Safe combination. I think the only thing I might do over is maybe go with 4.10 gears. It is a daily driver mostly but do need to play every now and again.

324nemt

Reaction score

We love our 25G.

dbishop728

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone's responses! They have really help to narrow it down. More so a 2500 or 3500 now based on what camper we're going with. I'm not going much over 30' and max would be 32'.
I'd like to stay with a bumpet/toe hitch pull.

Campers I've pulled a couple times. 7000 lbs with a half ton.
Otherwise I drove tractor trailer for 3yrs with a 53" van and flatbed. An empty 53' van is like a sail when it's windy, will blow you all over in heavy wind. I always liked having 25k minimum in the box.
That is what I was getting at was the sway. I had a 39' Stryker Toy Hauler tow behind and pulled it with a 2018 2500 6.7 with no problems except sway. Went with a Propride hitch and no more sway. The hitch is salty at about $3000 but was worth every penny. Just know, you have options if you experience any problems with sway. A 2500 gas or diesel will do the job just fine for the size of toy hauler your described. Good luck and enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread