Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6.4L Hemi information needed.

Seth55

Reaction score
NO DIESEL REGUARDLESS THE ARGUMENT!!
So to the diesel fan boys or to those that want to talk diesel in this thread.... in all due respect, please stay out of the conversation or don't start talking diesel facts. I'm going gas no matter what.

I'm going with either a 2500 or 3500 in the Tradesman or the Big Horn package. But im looking for some information before ordering one. Please don't guess, I'm wanting factual information please. Thanks.

This year is the truck. Next year is the camper depending how impatient me and the wife get. Once the kids all graduate, My wife and I will be taking a month long trip every year. Then in retirement we will travel the south staying a few weeks here and there.

EDIT: No more more Dually.
Going with SWB LB or SB 4x4.
Reason for the tow hauler is the UTV and room.

Camper - Toy hauler in a tow behind or 5th wheel.
Weight - 10k or up to 14k max loaded.

Information needed
1. MPG 2500/3500 Empty and Towing?
2. What are you Towing? Weight, and terrain?
3. Advantages/Disadvantages?
4. Other? ( I know mpg would be better in a deisel, and easier to pull hills)

Edit: added to information needed.

Last edited:

Seth55

Reaction score
Sorry if I posted this topic in general discussion as well. It never came up.

Firebird

Reaction score
NO DIESEL REGUARDLESS THE ARGUMENT!!
So to the diesel fan boys or to those that want to talk diesel in this thread.... in all due respect, please stay out of the conversation or don't start talking diesel facts. I'm going gas no matter what.

I'm going with either the Tradesman or the Big Horn package in a dually or single wheel. But im looking for some information before ordering one. Please don't guess, I'm wanting factual information please. Thanks.

This year is the truck. Next year is the camper depending how impatient me and the wife get. Once the kids all graduate, My wife and I will be taking a month long trip every year. Then in retirement we will travel the south staying a few weeks here and there.

Reason for the dually is we might go 5th wheel, so I'd like the extra stability for side winds. Not to mention, I've always wanted one!
Reason for the tow hauler is the UTV and room.

Camper - Toy hauler in a tow behind or 5th wheel.
Weight - 10k or up to 14k max loaded.

Information needed
1. MPG dually Empty and Towing?
2. What are you Towing? Weight, and terrain?
3. Disadvantages? (Parking yes lol)
4. Other? ( I know mpg would be better in a deisel, and easier to pull hills)

Edit: added to information needed.
I don't have all of the info you requested, but here goes:
I had a 2019 6.4 with 4.10 gears, so as close as I can get for you.
Empty, 12mpg max
Towing 10,000 pounds, 7-8mpg
My 21 dually wasn't too terrible to park, but I pretty much had to always park in the back 40
My towing is pretty much in the southeast, with a lot in Florida and Georgia

Hope some of this helps. I'm now in a 2023 6.4 2500

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
For towing there aren’t as many advantages for the gas trucks in DRW (slide-in camper is a different story). The difference in tow rating is less than 500lbs, so if you don’t need the RAWR it’s not really worth it.

You can get the auto-level suspension on a SRW and that’s the same suspension as the DRW auto-level and that’s what most of your stability comes from. 4 extra sidewalls does offer some stiffness, but if you’re staying within the gas GCWR then it’s not enough to bother with for the hassle of a DRW.

I highly recommend the auto-level suspension, 50 gallon tank, dual alternators, wired tow mode camera, aux switches, 5th wheel prep, LED lights, and truck and trailer 360° camera.

Seth55

Reaction score
I don't have all of the info you requested, but here goes:
I had a 2019 6.4 with 4.10 gears, so as close as I can get for you.
Empty, 12mpg max
Towing 10,000 pounds, 7-8mpg
My 21 dually wasn't too terrible to park, but I pretty much had to always park in the back 40
My towing is pretty much in the southeast, with a lot in Florida and Georgia

Hope some of this helps. I'm now in a 2023 6.4 2500
Definitely helps. What are you Towing with your 2023 6.4 2500?
I'd take the info on that. I think I've saw a lot of people around 18 mpg hwy, and 22.2 is the highest I've seen empty on youtube if you can trust it.
I've also read a lot in a couple different threads in these forums. The only time I'd like decent mpg is empty. I'm kinda leaning 2500 SWD now.

For towing there aren’t as many advantages for the gas trucks in DRW (slide-in camper is a different story). The difference in tow rating is less than 500lbs, so if you don’t need the RAWR it’s not really worth it.

You can get the auto-level suspension on a SRW and that’s the same suspension as the DRW auto-level and that’s what most of your stability comes from. 4 extra sidewalls does offer some stiffness, but if you’re staying within the gas GCWR then it’s not enough to bother with for the hassle of a DRW.

I highly recommend the auto-level suspension, 50 gallon tank, dual alternators, wired tow mode camera, aux switches, 5th wheel prep, LED lights, and truck and trailer 360° camera.

I see your points. Sounds like I'll be sticking with a SWB then. We think we found the Travel trailer we like. So right now it looks to be under 12k fully loaded for sure. Probably more like 11k lbs.

It's got me thinking about the 2500 now. We're always goon stay with a 30 foot camper because of state parks. Hmmm.

Seth55

Reaction score
I edited the title and took dually out. So now I'm looking at going SRW Long box for the 50g tank. Or go the short box and get an aftermarket tank with a higher capacity that would work in the short box.

Last edited:

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
I don't really check the MPG as I figure it is what it is. I bought my truck for a purpose and it does the job. So, I have a 2020 Ram 2500 Limited MegaCab with the 6.4 Hemi, 4.10 rear end and air suspension. I tow a 30' 9000 pound TT. With the 4.10 rear end my truck is rated to tow just north of 16k. I have never lacked for power. I have towed through the Smokies out east and the mountains out west. And as I have over 2000 pounds of payload, there has been no problem there either. Absolutely love my truck and the performance of the big Hemi. Biggest issue are the gas stations (especially out east) that do not configure their gas pumps for a 52 foot land train. Find myself often times waiting for the pump on the end. And of course some fool fills his tank and just leave his vehicle there while he and his family go in to have some lunch. Other than that, I am sooo glad I went with gas over diesel.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Previously had a 2020 2500 Limited CCSB with 4.10s pulling a 9k lb 32’ Airstream that we lived in full time for just over a year. 36k miles on the truck in that time, with 20k of it towing. Now I have a 2023 2500 Rebel (also 4.10s) pulling a 7400 lb 26’ travel trailer. So far the truck has 18k on it since it delivered in February, with 6500 miles of that towing.

Both got around 12-13mpg empty most of the time, 14-15 if I’m nice to it, and as high as 16 if I really put effort into being fuel efficient. Towing is about 9-10 if I keep it under 65, about 7 if I do 70-80. I’ve seen as low as 4.5 mpg towing at the speed limit with a strong headwind. I also managed one towing tank at 11.5 mpg when we stuck to back roads at about 55 mph.

Most of my towing is in the mountain West (Idaho, Utah, Colorado), so lots of climbing in there. I try to keep to 65 to save gas, but sometimes we’re in a hurry to get somewhere and I’ve never had an issue towing at 80 for extended periods. The Hemi has no problem dragging 9000# up a mountain pass in Colorado at 65+ mph, as long as you don’t care about the fuel you’re burning. I’ve seen the instant read out say 1 mpg before, and that kind of hurts.

FYI, there are currently no aftermarket tanks available for the gas trucks. Transfer flow is considering building a tank for the Hemi trucks, but is still evaluating the situation. If you’re interested send them an email encouraging them to do so. I carry a pair of 5 gallon Wavian jerry cans in the bed as a just-in-case. I’ve never had to use them towing, but they occasionally get used while off-roading.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I edited the title and took dually out. So now I'm looking at going SWB LB for the 50g tank. Or go the short box and get an aftermarket tank with a higher capacity that would work in the short box.

SWB = short wheel base. I think you mean SRW, single rear wheel.

Are there replacement tanks for gas trucks? I thought they only worked for diesel truck, but I haven’t don’t much recent research on them since my 22 has the 50 gallon tank. I had a Titan in my 18 and liked it.

I’d probably stick with a long box and an OEM 50
gallon tank if I was ordering. The longer the wheelbase the better the ride and handling while towing too.
It's got me thinking about the 2500 now. We're always goon stay with a 30 foot camper because of state parks. Hmmm.

My 0.02, get a 3500 with the auto-level. Best handling and riding HD truck I’ve been in, loaded or empty. You won’t outgrow the suspension, or feel the need to improve the rear suspension.

Firebird

Reaction score
Definitely helps. What are you Towing with your 2023 6.4 2500?
I'd take the info on that. I think I've saw a lot of people around 18 mpg hwy, and 22.2 is the highest I've seen empty on youtube if you can trust it.
I've also read a lot in a couple different threads in these forums. The only time I'd like decent mpg is empty. I'm kinda leaning 2500 SWD now.

I see your points. Sounds like I'll be sticking with a SWB then. We think we found the Travel trailer we like. So right now it looks to be under 12k fully loaded for sure. Probably more like 11k lbs.

I pull a 35' travel trailer, but I just got the 23, and my first pull isn't until the first weekend of January

Seth55

Reaction score
Previously had a 2020 2500 Limited CCSB with 4.10s pulling a 9k lb 32’ Airstream that we lived in full time for just over a year. 36k miles on the truck in that time, with 20k of it towing. Now I have a 2023 2500 Rebel (also 4.10s) pulling a 7400 lb 26’ travel trailer. So far the truck has 18k on it since it delivered in February, with 6500 miles of that towing.

Both got around 12-13mpg empty most of the time, 14-15 if I’m nice to it, and as high as 16 if I really put effort into being fuel efficient. Towing is about 9-10 if I keep it under 65, about 7 if I do 70-80. I’ve seen as low as 4.5 mpg towing at the speed limit with a strong headwind. I also managed one towing tank at 11.5 mpg when we stuck to back roads at about 55 mph.

Most of my towing is in the mountain West (Idaho, Utah, Colorado), so lots of climbing in there. I try to keep to 65 to save gas, but sometimes we’re in a hurry to get somewhere and I’ve never had an issue towing at 80 for extended periods. The Hemi has no problem dragging 9000# up a mountain pass in Colorado at 65+ mph, as long as you don’t care about the fuel you’re burning. I’ve seen the instant read out say 1 mpg before, and that kind of hurts.

FYI, there are currently no aftermarket tanks available for the gas trucks. Transfer flow is considering building a tank for the Hemi trucks, but is still evaluating the situation. If you’re interested send them an email encouraging them to do so. I carry a pair of 5 gallon Wavian jerry cans in the bed as a just-in-case. I’ve never had to use them towing, but they occasionally get used while off-roading.

Thanks. That information is very helpful. Guess I'll be doing the same with the extra gas tanks.

I don't really check the MPG as I figure it is what it is. I bought my truck for a purpose and it does the job. So, I have a 2020 Ram 2500 Limited MegaCab with the 6.4 Hemi, 4.10 rear end and air suspension. I tow a 30' 9000 pound TT. With the 4.10 rear end my truck is rated to tow just north of 16k. I have never lacked for power. I have towed through the Smokies out east and the mountains out west. And as I have over 2000 pounds of payload, there has been no problem there either. Absolutely love my truck and the performance of the big Hemi. Biggest issue are the gas stations (especially out east) that do not configure their gas pumps for a 52 foot land train. Find myself often times waiting for the pump on the end. And of course some fool fills his tank and just leave his vehicle there while he and his family go in to have some lunch. Other than that, I am sooo glad I went with gas over diesel.

That's good info. We tend to go south for vacation in the spring. Last year we went to the smokies. I think we will be close to your weight. Trying for under 12k lbs.

Seth55

Reaction score
@ AH64ID

I guess there aren't any aftermarket tanks yet. But yeah, OEM would be better for warranty purposes.
Yes, I meant SRW lol
My wife hates the look of the CCLB. Lol I like the 24 to 25 foot long beasts!

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
2021 Tradesman, 3.73’s. MPG is pretty consistent, I get 7.5 towing on the interstate, little higher on backroads when speed drops. Around town in my area, 12-14, on the Hwy empty it’ll sniff 16 but usually lands in the 15’s. I don’t drive slow…….
I’m towing a 5th wheel, 34’ and right at 10k loaded.

I’d go Bighorn, 4.10’s, and long bed to get the 50 gallon tank. As stated, Transfer flow is kicking around the idea for the short bed trucks but for now, OEM is the only way to get a bigger tank. And truth be told, the range is my only complaint. The 6.4 and 8 speed are a great combo, truck will go as fast as I’m willing. Im primarily in the SE so not towing over the Ike but it sure isn’t flat.

slowindown

Reaction score
I ordered a 22 3500 bighorn 4wd srw crew cab lwb 50gal and 4.10 gears to pull our camper (~9000-10000#) with our golf cart in the bed. Unloaded I get 16 or so on hwy, depending on speed - usually 16.2-16.5 at ~ 72-75mph. It drops off above 75mph, inclines effect it too. Secondary roads yield around 15mpg. Towing the aforementioned load on the interstate I get 7.5-9 mpg depending on speed and inclines. I’ve not taking it to mountains yet. I’m in the SE.

It pulls the load with ease.

I may add airbags because there is the squat you see in the pic below. But it’s not too bad. And frankly I need to readjust my equalizer hitch because I didn’t think to do it with the golf cart in the bed. My payload is a bit over 4000#

IMG_4434.jpeg

Last edited:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I may add airbags because there is the squat you see in the pic below. But it’s not too bad. And frankly I need to readjust my equalizer hitch because I didn’t think to do it with the golf cart in the bed. My payload is a bit over 4000#

Go with airbags. You don't want to use a WDH to compensate for payload that isn't tongue weight.

sanda

Reaction score
I ordered a new 2021 especially for towing my 11960# fully loaded trailer. 8' bed, 50 gallon tank (best $300 I ever spent), 4.10's, Laramie package and other options that dont affect tow rating. I often tow 10K feet mountain passes in Colorado as well as flat lands of Arizona. I only made one long trip empty with this truck and realized 18.26 mpg (18.7 evic) over passes and speeds up to 75mph.
Towing mileage is usually around 8.5 (had calculated) with the occasional 5 mpg. (bad ass headwind.)
We tow about 10K miles a year and are very happy with the truck.

Clayinfl

Reaction score
2500 with 4.10 rear here. Tow a 7800 pound bumper pull. You can likely manage any bumper pull trailer that you are looking at with the 2500, but the Fifth Wheels that you are rated to pull with a 2500’s payload are much more restrictive. I have a Laramie, so my payload is a little less than a tradesman. But the only 5th wheels I can reasonably manage are the lighter lines. If you think you want a 5th wheel tow hauler, stick with a 3500.
I get around 12mpg around town and 9 mpg towing. Tow all over South East, including mountains in NC and Tenn. truck does the job with no challenge, Did not see a lot of variance in mileage in the mountains, dropped into the 8 mpg range on the uphill pulls, but made up for it on the down hills. More mileage impact from the wind than the grade of the road.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Go with airbags. You don't want to use a WDH to compensate for payload that isn't tongue weight.

This in spades. With that extra bed payload, add bags, don't use the WDH for that - you'll break stuff (meaning probably the trailer frame or WDH) and handling will likely be worse.

This is definitely a case where BOTH a WDH AND bags are warranted.

dieselscout80

Reaction score
I tow mostly my tractor and its not long enough hauls to establish a MPG for pure towing, but with close to 10k towed load the MPGs go down a noticeably.

With my 2500 6.4 2500 empty it can get 18 MPG on pure highway (hand calculated) at 70 mph. In daily driving 14 to 15 is possible and the driver makes a huge difference as I seldom if ever hit 3K rpms unless towing. More skinny pedal and aggressive application of it equals less MPG. ;)

Loads in the bed as long as they don't cause lots of wind resistance (think slide in truck camper) don't seem to change the MPG as much.

My truck is rated at 2822 lbs of payload and 16620 lbs of towing capacity and it weighs 7420 lbs empty.

I really like it, but I have only owned a bit more than 1.5 years and about 14k miles.

Attachments

• IMG_2691.jpeg
    IMG_2691.jpeg
    306.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2689.jpeg
    IMG_2689.jpeg
    478.3 KB · Views: 26

Users who are viewing this thread