Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6.4L brand new Ram 2500 Laramie w/oil leak

SG184

Reaction score
:mad: My brand new 2024 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 L Hemi began leaking oil the first week I had it. Took it back to dealership and they added dye and had me drive it around for a couple days - took it back and they couldn't find the leak with a UV light. Now they are tearing the engine apart trying to find where it is leaking - Star case opened. Has anyone else had this problem with the 6.4 L ?

Units

Reaction score
Did you get a picture of underneath the truck where it was leaking? Would helpful to be able to put some eyes on it.

SG184

Reaction score
Yes I have multiple pictures but none delineate where the source of the leak is - there is a small amount of oil everywhere - seems to be coming from far back under the dashboard area where they can't see without dismantling the engine

Grey

Reaction score
Yes I have multiple pictures but none delineate where the source of the leak is - there is a small amount of oil everywhere - seems to be coming from far back under the dashboard area where they can't see without dismantling the engine
I wouldn't Panic, might be something so simple as a pinched O ring. Does suck that it has to be taken apart to find the problem. But overall it's a good engine. Do keep us posted.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
They should be able to see everything external with a borescope no need for tear down

gimmie11s

Reaction score
What a disaster. Brand new truck eh?

Ugh.

Ramsomair

Reaction score
So quick to tear it apart and other guys have to go through BS and months of RAM doing nothing. Strange

jetrinka

Reaction score
Tearing the engine down? Insane. After a good cleaning you can see everything on a Hemi using a flashlight and a mirror. The caliber of techs these days is….. disturbing….

Oil leaks are uncommon on the Hemi.

tim9lives

Reaction score
Yeah, as a past dealership tech…. I’d be afraid of more leakage after a tear down and reassembly. Especially today. Totally agree with Jetrinka

SG184

Reaction score
Apparently it was two solenoids that installed improperly - still waiting to get the truck back but service manager said I shouldn’t have any further problems after they replace them ‍♂️

jetrinka

Reaction score
Apparently it was two solenoids that installed improperly - still waiting to get the truck back but service manager said I shouldn’t have any further problems after they replace them ‍♂️
MDS solenoids likely. At least they'd only have had to pull the intake for that.

SG184

Reaction score
Not the solenoids - they replaced them and still leaking. They found a defect in the engine block from a pouring defect when casted. Needs entire engine replacement !

whitexc

Reaction score
Wow. Not sure how I would feel about this. Depends on the dealership I gather. Best of luck OP.

Sent from me

Enve46

Reaction score
Sucks to deal with but let’s be honest, these things happen. I wouldn’t mind a motor replacement if done in a timely fashion and my truck got back in my hands the same condition I dropped it off in. The problem is that rarely happens in today’s dealerships. Hopeful for you OP

Users who are viewing this thread