Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6.4 power

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Guys, I'm only asking if the 6.4 is suppose to be equivalent to the 5.7 weight for cubic inch. I know I was spoiled with the ram sport 5.7 and I know the weight difference. I was just hoping to still have the same snap in 6.4 as the 5.7. I was mistaken. I love this truck, I was just hoping someone found some aftermarket option, like K&N, Cat Back that will make it a little more lively. I've never had a 2500, always been 1500 4x4's. As for the 35's, yes the width will cause drag but height maybe a 1/2" taller. I still have the stock wheels, I'll pull one out this weekend and measure the circumference for piece of mind. Thanks for the comments. Again, I'm not putting this 2500 down just have to get use to driving different.
2014 ram 5.7 (345) = 395hp/410tq
Current ram 6.4 (392) = 410hp/429tq

So, no. It does not make the same horsepower per cubic inch. The 5.7 makes more power per cid

The 2500 weighs the better portion of a ton more than the 1500.

whitexc

Reaction score
Lol coming from my 01 Cummins my Hemi feels like a drag truck! (More or less )
Ehhh, my 2002 QCSB hauled the mail pretty well and sounded so much better than this Hemi. I would say the old truck would beat the new truck in just about every aspect aside from interior comfort and noise. Do I miss her? Yeah, I do. I like the new truck too, just not the same.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

jetrinka

Reaction score
Maybe mine was tired. Had the HX35, 4” Banks exhaust w/power elbow and 40 horse sticks in it. Definitely woke it up but my PW is definitely faster and tows the same trailers better too. Overall I’ve been very pleased with the Hemi. AAAnndddd I don’t have to pay the “Cummins” tax every time I want a new part! I swear as soon as the word Cummins is attached to anything the price triples!!!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe mine was tired. Had the HX35, 4” Banks exhaust w/power elbow and 40 horse sticks in it. Definitely woke it up but my PW is definitely faster and tows the same trailers better too. Overall I’ve been very pleased with the Hemi. AAAnndddd I don’t have to pay the “Cummins” tax every time I want a new part! I swear as soon as the word Cummins is attached to anything the price triples!!!

Can you even begin to imagine what the Cummins Marine boat guys must pay for parts?

Speaking of, not seen @Brewbud around much now that I think about it. Must be boating.

woody284

Reaction score
I’m not knowledgeable on the matter but would a pedal commander helps the OP on feeling alone. Suppose to give better response right.

jdefoe0424

Reaction score
Guys, I'm only asking if the 6.4 is suppose to be equivalent to the 5.7 weight for cubic inch. I know I was spoiled with the ram sport 5.7 and I know the weight difference. I was just hoping to still have the same snap in 6.4 as the 5.7. I was mistaken. I love this truck, I was just hoping someone found some aftermarket option, like K&N, Cat Back that will make it a little more lively. I've never had a 2500, always been 1500 4x4's. As for the 35's, yes the width will cause drag but height maybe a 1/2" taller. I still have the stock wheels, I'll pull one out this weekend and measure the circumference for piece of mind. Thanks for the comments. Again, I'm not putting this 2500 down just have to get use to driving different.
The 6.4 was designed and built to be a true HD engine, it doesn't make a ton of power up top but it does make torque where it counts. In regards to pure acceleration, a 2500 will probably never beat a 1500 unless you put some aftermarket gears in it.
Now if you put a trailer behind the 2500 and then run down the highway, you can tell how much that extra displacement and design differences really helps it pull at lower RPM's when compared to a 1500.

One last thing, if you want the truck to respond quickly...you really gotta put your foot into it, that definitely took some getting used to.

@JC

Reaction score
2014 ram 5.7 (345) = 395hp/410tq
Current ram 6.4 (392) = 410hp/429tq

So, no. It does not make the same horsepower per cubic inch. The 5.7 makes more power per cid

The 2500 weighs the better portion of a ton more than the 1500.
Exactly, the 2500 6.4 is not the same as the Charger/Jeep SRT/Etc 392 Apache. In that guise it makes 470hp/470ft-lbs and the engine/8spd ZF tranny is programmed for speed and acceleration in a higher RPM range, our HD 6.4 is only 410hp/429ft-lbs but is supposedly tuned for better MPG and hauling power in a lower RPM range... ;)

PCT

Reaction score
Just saw a video on youtube last night talking about the twin turbo I6 possibly for '23.
They have 2 versions.
A SO to replace the 5.7. A HO to replace the 6.4
They did a comparison with the 5.7 and 6.4 in the Grand Cherokee. But that 6.4 motor has more power/torque than our 6.4.
They did talk briefly about the I6 going in the trucks.

I hope not!!! Just make the 6.4 more of a beast!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I hope not!!! Just make the 6.4 more of a beast!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I hope not only because it will likely be direct injection and high compression and all that stuff that makes new engines less desirable to me. Good old port injection keeps the valves clean.

New engines with 0w oil and high compression and turbos end up with oil vapor in the intake which collects as oil in the intercooler they just muck up quick.

In theory I love a straight six but I don’t like the modern efficiency number chasing game we’re playing. You end up with higher maintenance and lower lifespan

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope not only because it will likely be direct injection and high compression and all that stuff that makes new engines less desirable to me. Good old port injection keeps the valves clean.

New engines with 0w oil and high compression and turbos end up with oil vapor in the intake which collects as oil in the intercooler they just muck up quick.

In theory I love a straight six but I don’t like the modern efficiency number chasing game we’re playing. You end up with higher maintenance and lower lifespan

The lack of a hybrid injection system to keep the valves clean is unbelievable.

jdefoe0424

Reaction score

I agree, there's much left to do in terms of reliability for such a highly strung engine.
I believe I read there were rumors of a 3.7L for HD trucks...but still I think it's a bit small for an engine that would get worked all it's life. It would be around the horsepower and torque per liter of a 3.5 HO, so maybe not outside the realm of possibility but I can't imagine that bodes well for it's ability to hit 300k with little issue.

I said this before in another thread about this engine, it will be a hard sell until they can get fleet accounts on board. And that won't ever begin to happen if it costs more than the 6.4 and only gets 1 mpg better.

Lary0071

Reaction score

I had a 2017 1500 Rebel 5.7L 4X4 with the 3.92 gears ad it was "quick" as you describe your 1500. When I traded to the 2019 2500 6.4L 3.73 truck, like you I felt an immediate loss of that punchy power that the half ton has.

Here is my assertion as to why: The 6.4 has many variants, some making much more power than in our trucks. But as in most commercial powerplants, they are detuned or adjusted to be able to provide maximum rated output and RPM for extended time. I believe that the 2500/3500 6.4L is similarly adjusted to be able to perform more heavy work over time without failures. Yes, the truck weighs far more than the 1500 version as well, but they could have "Hell Cat" outfitted the engine to compensate and then some. But the result would likly be an engine found dead on the side of the road far to frequently. By adjusting the rev limits, and taking away power and torque they have a medium duty or commercial capable engine that can perform to its rated abilities for a far extended time interval before a replacement powerplant would need to be dropped in.

If you want to feel an even less fun to drive rig, try a 3500 Cummins S.O. truck. My 6.4L Hemi 2500 would eat the lunch right off the plate of this Cummins. I never drove a H.O. version, so maybe they feel a bit more sporty, but this is Cummins is the tortoise and my 6.4L was the hare.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
The 6.4 in the HD is not the same 6.4 in the cars or jeeps.

While the block, rods and pistons may be the same, the heads, cams, intakes are different.

As stated, the HD is built for towing and lasting. The car/jeep 6.4 is not.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
my other cars are a subaru impreza and a honda CRV so not power houses and I still say my 6.4 is a dog :). I have driven a lot of new 6.4's and they all feel the same (I have never driven a 6.4 with the 6speed only 8speed) my biggest mistake was driving my neighbor's new 7.3 gasser. One of my good buddies who I go to Moab with all the time has a Ford 3.5 and he really leaves me for dead and gets better mpg while doing it. I for one am excited to see how the new I6 pans out.

I had a 2011 F150 with that 3.5 turbo v6 and that truck absolutely flew. Surprising actually, how fast that truck moved.

I'd like to drive a 7.3 Ford super duty...

gimmie11s

Reaction score

2018+ Ford 5.0 coyote motors are dual injection. It's genius and the epitome of the ICE in my opinion.

VW does some of this in many of their offerings too.. wish some of the other OEMs would get on board.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
If you want to feel an even less fun to drive rig, try a 3500 Cummins S.O. truck. My 6.4L Hemi 2500 would eat the lunch right off the plate of this Cummins. I never drove a H.O. version, so maybe they feel a bit more sporty, but this is Cummins is the tortoise and my 6.4L was the hare.

Comparing a DRW long bed 3500 to a SRW 2500 in terms of "sportiness" is very similar to OP comparing a 1500 to 2500.

That said, in the theoretical drag race, your two trucks are MUCH closer than you think.

Christofo

Reaction score
2018+ Ford 5.0 coyote motors are dual injection. It's genius and the epitome of the ICE in my opinion.

VW does some of this in many of their offerings too.. wish some of the other OEMs would get on board.
Toyota and Subaru does this too.

Eatstone

Reaction score
I picked up a 2500 6.4 limited with 3.73 last week. I traded my 2017 5.7 limited on this one. I took the pedal commander out of my 5.7 seeing as it crossed over to my new truck. I drove 400km from the coast up and over Mtn passes. It was then that I pulled over, aired down my tires from 82 psi to what the door sticker said, 65/70 psi. Installed the PC and drove another 700km home. What a difference, I prefer this truck over the 5.7. Really wants to pull in sport 2 setting. I know it doesn’t add any power but it sure feels like another 50-60 hp. I also like the way this 8spd shifts vs my old truck.

Best part is, I put 2498 lbs of flooring in the bed on Friday and with the air suspension it rode like a dream. I don’t find it underpowered at all, for a 7-10k brick depending on payload.

Attachments

• ED075321-AD76-4161-A0E1-FE50C7392B92.jpeg
    ED075321-AD76-4161-A0E1-FE50C7392B92.jpeg
    766.8 KB · Views: 23

Users who are viewing this thread