Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6.4 oil change issue-question

adamsmith655

Reaction score
A quick question to the 6.4 owners. I’ve had my 22 PW in for four oil changes now and only one has been done where there has not been leaking oil residue from the cross member below the filter. I took it back each time because I was concerned that there was an active leak.

My most recent one was a couple of days ago, but my one before that apparently had a defective filter that had to be replaced after the change, so it appears there was an issue at least for one of them.

I just got back from the dealership after having them look at it due to the oil residue after this most recent one. The tech told me that oil can get into the cross member below and leak out over time and he said he verified that there was no active leak from the filter and that this was a design flaw issue in his opinion.

I agree with what he’s saying because the crossmember that’s directly below the oil filter can get oil and it has leaked out of that. I do know that to be true.

My question to everyone else is when you get oil changes, do you all deal with having to clean up some leaking oil residue after or are the techs at my dealership just particularly sloppy in their work?

Clayinfl

Reaction score
I have only changed my oil once so far, but I spilled a little and it pooled a little there on top of the cross member, and there is a little seam that some oil gathers in and dripped for a bit. Had to clean it thoroughly to avoid drips in the garage that I might confuse with a leak.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I put a funnel with a hose on it under the oil filter and down thru the OEM little "funnel". I put the hose in a bucket. No after oil change leaks. Got 10 oil changes on her now.
They just need to pay attention to what they are doing as well as clean up good when done.
One of the reasons I do my own work

Wanderlust073

Reaction score
Was told by the dealer ‘its really hard to wipe it off where it drips’. Such bs. Change it yourself one time and you will see they simply don’t care.

Under the oil filter is a cross member with a hole in it to allow the oil to drip through when it spills. You don’t have to be a professional maid to take one whole minute out of your life and wipe the hell out of that bar to get any residue off. I can’t believe the shop guy was able to keep a straight face when telling me how hard it is - and they had the whole truck up in the air!

Do that - no drips on your floor.

tchur1

Reaction score
This is why I do my own work. As others have outlined its just lazy on the tech's part to not clean up. Takes 2 seconds.

jadmt

Reaction score
I change my own oil. I had issues with spilling a little oil from the filter as I was maneuvering the filter out and spilling some on the cross bar. there are a couple of plastic fir tree push pins that hold the plastic funnel on and oil seeps under the pushpins and then leaks out the bottom of the cross over. once you get oil in it takes a while to get it all out. I took rvt and covered the fir tree pins so there was no place for the oil to seep into. I have been changing my own oil since the early 70's and have had at least 30 vehicles and this is one of the worst for not spilling a bit of oil when removing the filter.

areuriding

Reaction score
The just want you in and out. The tech could really clean it if he wanted to.

Darkside

Reaction score
My dealer always leaves me a mess….. I’m at the point where I’m going to start going to a different dealer, not only because the messy oil changes, I’ve had other issues with them…IMG_2920.jpeg

Lord muta

Reaction score
I changed my oil last night. There is no way to not spill oil from the filter. I expect it and plan for it. I let us drain out of the filter for several minutes and then replace with the new. Once done. The clean up is super easy. Wipe it down and then Spray it if with brake clean. No residual drips and keeps the under carriage clean as a whistle.

Ps. Make sure to check both the drain plug and filter after some miles to ensure they are PROPERLY tightened. Had one just ONE oil change by a quick lube. (And reminded myself why I don’t go to those places) filter was not even hand tight. It was just tight enough to not leak or blow the seal.

soaped22

Reaction score
The first time I changed the oil on a 6.4, I pulled the filter too fast and spilled a good amount of oil. The crossmember has built in drainage and is designed for it as long as it doesn't overflow. However, if it does overflow, you'll be cleaning oil seepage out of the seams for days.

I've learned since that you can wrap a plastic bag over/under the oil filter while spinning it off and it will prevent most if not all of that spill. There's also flexible oil funnels you can use to divert the oil forward and away from that member.

Users who are viewing this thread