Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6.4 hemi 3.73 3K payload 15K total ZF 5th wheel 8500 dry weight under 12K loaded 1250 lbs dry tongue weight...

Redfour5

Reaction score
What do you think? Truck will do 5K miles towing each year in mountains and 3500 K transfer station, light off roading, mostly Nat Forest roads, grocery runs.

jdefoe0424

Reaction score
I would put the models and specs in the body of your post, the title is confusing.
I'm betting that the loaded pin weight will be ~1800lbs, will mostly depend on where you store stuff in the camper. For two it's definitely doable, for a family it's probably still doable just have to run the numbers if you care about that sort of thing.

As for total weight, plenty of people hauling 10k+ with their 6.4 trucks. It mostly depends on where you're going to be towing most, flat or mountains.

BubbaWilkins

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the 6.4L Hemi, but you'll be limited to a 31g tank which isn't going to yield much range when getting 5-7mpg under load.

MtnRider

Reaction score
If you don't have the truck already I'd be looking at a 3500 Diesel given the ~12K and mountains mentioned. You are right on that tipping point (IMO) for going Diesel and the mountains would push me to that as well as miles towing.

Indiana88

Reaction score
I have a 6.4 3.73 2500 SB CC Tradesman with 3039 payload. I use that to tow a 38' fifth wheel that is around 12,500 loaded. I estimate my pin weight to be close to 2300-2500 pounds. The truck pulls the rig fine, but I've not taken it through any mountains. Fuel mileage is pretty low (around 7.0-7.5) when towing on ground that isn't relatively flat. I do feel the motor is plenty strong, but I know I'm close on my payload. Haven't hit a CAT scale so I cannot verify with certainty. Because of this I'm waiting to take delivery of my 3500 6.7CTD hopefully this month. Just wanted the piece of mind knowing I'm well within my numbers and would have zero concerns taking the rig anywhere in the US. Just wanted to share my personal experience.

Redfour5

Reaction score
I would put the models and specs in the body of your post, the title is confusing.
I'm betting that the loaded pin weight will be ~1800lbs, will mostly depend on where you store stuff in the camper. For two it's definitely doable, for a family it's probably still doable just have to run the numbers if you care about that sort of thing.

As for total weight, plenty of people hauling 10k+ with their 6.4 trucks. It mostly depends on where you're going to be towing most, flat or mountains.
I considered how to write that. So, I sort of did the opposite consciously. You may be right. I've run the numbers, but they don't always tell the tale. My 1500 could tow my present Travel Trailer per the numbers...but even being at Payload and 1400 lbs under total weight (8,000) with a 3.21, I felt I wanted more oomph. I had a 3.92 I traded in on the new 1500 and it wasn't much different roughly the same specs. So, I tried the 2500 and it is more than good. Now...the wife is wanting a fifth wheel. I'd be fine with the TT but...

Redfour5

Reaction score
I have a 6.4 3.73 2500 SB CC Tradesman with 3039 payload. I use that to tow a 38' fifth wheel that is around 12,500 loaded. I estimate my pin weight to be close to 2300-2500 pounds. The truck pulls the rig fine, but I've not taken it through any mountains. Fuel mileage is pretty low (around 7.0-7.5) when towing on ground that isn't relatively flat. I do feel the motor is plenty strong, but I know I'm close on my payload. Haven't hit a CAT scale so I cannot verify with certainty. Because of this I'm waiting to take delivery of my 3500 6.7CTD hopefully this month. Just wanted the piece of mind knowing I'm well within my numbers and would have zero concerns taking the rig anywhere in the US. Just wanted to share my personal experience.
Thanks, this is the kind of feedback I'm looking for. I was hoping to be in the one half range on my Pin weight as the "proposed" dry weight is like 1325 but looks like it may be a few hundred more??? Even at 1800 lbs, I'd still have a lot of room there. The fifth wheel itself has a 11,525 GVWR and is 8400 dry. I'm trying to go as low as I can on a fiver and yet still check her boxes. She wants it how she wants it.

Indiana88

Reaction score
Thanks, this is the kind of feedback I'm looking for. I was hoping to be in the one half range on my Pin weight as the "proposed" dry weight is like 1325 but looks like it may be a few hundred more??? Even at 1800 lbs, I'd still have a lot of room there. The fifth wheel itself has a 11,525 GVWR and is 8400 dry. I'm trying to go as low as I can on a fiver and yet still check her boxes. She wants it how she wants it.
Totally understandable. The beauty of the gasser is the massive payload verses the diesel. If I wasn’t pushing my payload, and I knew I’d never be pulling mountains or across the country, I wouldn’t consider a diesel. Especially now at $5 a gallon. The 6.4 is a great motor with tons of power. I suppose it breaks down to how comfortable do you want to be regarding your towing numbers.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the 6.4L Hemi, but you'll be limited to a 31g tank which isn't going to yield much range when getting 5-7mpg under load.
We have a dog with a small bladder... So, no different than now...

406Linetrash

Reaction score
my fifth wheel is heavier than that. So I went with 4.10s. No complaints in the Rockies. If your not towing very far I think the 3.73s would do it. Fine. If your worried about it, just go 4.10. I'm glad I did.

Redfour5

Reaction score
my fifth wheel is heavier than that. So I went with 4.10s. No complaints in the Rockies. If your not towing very far I think the 3.73s would do it. Fine. If your worried about it, just go 4.10. I'm glad I did.
That's kind of what I thought. I watched the TFL Ike run with the 3.73 and 6.4 and thought that will work...FOR MY...needs. I'm not going up it every day, maybe once every three or four years and they went up FULLY loaded out on payload AND total weight. It wasn't great, but it was acceptable and I'd be substantially lighter all the way round. Oh, I am also thinking something other than non-aspirated might be a big help.

Now if that was my daily drive, there is NO WAY I'd have a 6.4 and a 3.73.
And it did beat the chevy at full load.

Last edited:

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
Family of 5 here, my setup is similar to yours, my 5ver fully loaded is 10k, pin weight is around 1,700 to 1,800 lbs. Truck pulls the load, it works, sure. It does not struggle. From what you described, I would be honest about what kind of grades and how often you’re gonna pull them.

Truck specs in sig.
5ver: 2022 Grand Design Reflection 150 Series 278 BH
Factory specs:
Dry weight : 8,295 lbs
Gross weight: 10,195
Pin weight: 1,338

Fully loaded across CAT scales I had a little over 1,700 lbs on the pin, 8,280lbs on the trailer axles, right at 10k total trailer weight.

Oh ya, about 7.5 mpg on that trip (drove the posted speed limit, mostly interstate).

Attachments

• F3C740A9-DA01-4042-ADDA-AF8C2F4849BE.jpeg
    F3C740A9-DA01-4042-ADDA-AF8C2F4849BE.jpeg
    566.3 KB · Views: 39

Redfour5

Reaction score
Family of 5 here, my setup is similar to yours, my 5ver fully loaded is 10k, pin weight is around 1,700 to 1,800 lbs. Truck pulls the load, it works, sure. It does not struggle. From what you described, I would be honest about what kind of grades and how often you’re gonna pull them.

Truck specs in sig.
Factory specs:

Fully loaded across CAT scales I had a little over 1,700 lbs on the pin, 8,280lbs on the trailer axles, right at 10k total trailer weight.

Oh ya, about 7.5 mpg on that trip (drove the posted speed limit, mostly interstate).
That is exactly the 5th wheel I am looking at. How do you like it. Is the quality better or as good as they say comparatively to others?

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
That is exactly the 5th wheel I am looking at. How do you like it. Is the quality better or as good as they say comparatively to others?
We love it so far, brought it home 12/20/21, 4 or 5 trips to date. The quality seems pretty good for a house on wheels, none of the manufactures are what I’d consider great. Having previous owned a couple of nice Flgstaffs, this Grand Design is on par.

I will add, my truck does not need airbags for this camper. That pic above is @ full load after we fueled up, she sits darn near perfectly level.

Snap shot from the scales on the way home after fueling up. Pretty much identical load on the return trip as when we left home, maybe even a smidge heavier.

Attachments

• 83948A71-3FF0-4C56-A177-ACA93080CFE4.png
    83948A71-3FF0-4C56-A177-ACA93080CFE4.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Redfour5

Reaction score

Truck specs in sig.
Factory specs:

Couple of questions. What hitch set up do you have? Happy with it? Those weights are right at what I kind of figured and doable. I also like the "shortness" of the 278BH compared to most everything else that is a bunk house... The closest I've found otherwise is the Arctic Wolf 287BH at 35 feet but in looking at them, the build quality is going to be a problem waiting to happen is my fear, kind of like the Aspen Trail 2340bhswe I have now... That's why, IF all the numbers $$ can add up I might go spend the extra 20K on the Grand Illusion, Oh, sorry Grand Design... Both the Truck AND a fifth wheel WILL be my last ones at 66. I go to some "secret" national forest campgrounds that are 15 to 20 miles down dirt National Forest roads and can ALWAYS get a good campsite since the dirt tends to keep the riff raff and glampers away... so I already have the Road Armor suspension and Good Year Endurance's that come standard on the Grand Design. I like that and between the two, installed after purchase (Moryied 300/Endurance's) are in the 1700 range a form of savings. There are a bunch of "quality" upgrades on the Grand Design's I like. AND, the attention to detail on, for example, interior trim and other things not visible are a draw.

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
Couple of questions. What hitch set up do you have? Happy with it? Those weights are right at what I kind of figured and doable. I also like the "shortness" of the 278BH compared to most everything else that is a bunk house... The closest I've found otherwise is the Arctic Wolf 287BH at 35 feet but in looking at them, the build quality is going to be a problem waiting to happen is my fear, kind of like the Aspen Trail 2340bhswe I have now... That's why, IF all the numbers $$ can add up I might go spend the extra 20K on the Grand Illusion, Oh, sorry Grand Design... Both the Truck AND a fifth wheel WILL be my last ones at 66. I go to some "secret" national forest campgrounds that are 15 to 20 miles down dirt National Forest roads and can ALWAYS get a good campsite since the dirt tends to keep the riff raff and glampers away... so I already have the Road Armor suspension and Good Year Endurance's that come standard on the Grand Design. I like that and between the two, installed after purchase (Moryied 300/Endurance's) are in the 1700 range a form of savings. There are a bunch of "quality" upgrades on the Grand Design's I like. AND, the attention to detail on, for example, interior trim and other things not visible are a draw.
I’m currently running the AUH and happy with it for what it is. I’m not wary of running it, for this rig it’s not even touching 50% of its rated capacity. I would like to give the GenY a go, it wasn’t available as a Turning Point replacement when I bought my camper, I like the idea of having some of the “shock” from road travel absorbed thru the connection. The AUH is obviously rigid, same with the Turning Point so there is no cushioning between the truck and camper. The ride isn’t bad with the current setup but there’s always room for improvement. Might be a bigger deal if you are traversing “dirt” roads to those secret spots.

I like the size of this rig, it’s not too big or heavy as far as 5’ver go (wasn’t really planning to go the 5th wheel route but the boss likes what she likes). Of note, the rig is 34’. For some reason the literature states 32’11”, it’s right at 34’.

Last edited:

thecastle

Reaction score

Truck specs in sig.
Factory specs:

I recently towed my Microlite 21DS from Texas City, TX to Colorado Springs and back like last week for work. I have a 19 3500 HO and averaged 9.9mpg on the way to Colorado springs, and my average dropped to 8.7mpg on the return home (22-25mph constant wind). So $1100 in diesel plus 8 gallons of DEF for the 2057 mile trip. The diesel needed to downshift on mountain grades into 5th sometimes to maintain the speed limit and 4th if you needed to speed up. Especially through the Raton pass. But generally felt relaxed even at 75mph up prolonged grades. I've done it with a gasoline powered tow vehicle same route same trailer and didn't find it to be bad, it was a twin turbo v8 and generally was relaxed as well. I think the diesel is an upgrade over the gas trucks, especially in feeling relaxed, low rpms and low noise on the diesel helps with that feeling, and the ability to carry more fuel (I have a 50 gallon tank). But in terms of sheer performance, its slower than my old tow vehicle, I often had problems getting to 65mph on short on ramps pulling into 80mph traffic from rest stops. 400hp/1000lbft honestly isn't as fast as one would expect.

Users who are viewing this thread