Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6.4 gas transmission control

just James

Reaction score
As the title says, I have a 2021 3500 with the 6.4 gas engine. Is there any way to control when the transmission shifts, and into what gear? I have a 1/2 mile uphill driveway, with several tight turns. When driving up the driveway, the transmission seems to constantly be trying to decide what gear to use. It will downshift when it doesn't really need to, rather than lugging the engine down a bit. This generally results in wheel spin in the gravel surface. Yes, I can engage 4wd, but that also results in the tires scuffing around the turn.
Also, there are times when I do not want the transmission downshifting when descending a hill to hold the speed. I wouldn't mind the truck picking up some speed, so I can "coast" back down to my cruising speed, and save a little gas. If I don't have the cruise control on it won't downshift, unless have to touch the brakes. Then it will downshift, and hold its speed back.
Is there any way to gain more control over it?
And yeah, I know that I can limit how high of a gear it will go into, but I am looking to limit unnecessary downshifts.

hunterjoe

Reaction score
As far as I know you can limit the gear but not select it. So it can still downshift but not go above the gear you have the limiter set to. Which could work for you. For example, if it shifts between 3 and 4, just set the limit to 3 and let her stay in that gear. RPMs will be higher but you won’t be shifting.

Users who are viewing this thread