Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6.4 gas tank useful capacity

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
It's a 31 gallon tank not 32. On the way back from the cabin this weekend I ran it about 7 miles in to low, I put 28.2 gallons back in after waiting 20 secs or so and clicking the handle twice. My MPGs were around 11.2 with the ACC set to 84 on the interstate. Let's be honest here, there's no possible way you were getting 15+MPG in a PW with 35s.
Just did another 400 mile run. 15 MPG for that tank. 18K miles on the ODO.
Yea, I'm surprised it's getting that good.
Cruise was set around 75.

Andersen24

Reaction score
Found this string looking for answers for the same thing. So today I took it down to 32 miles to empty and I put in the most fuel it has taken. It clicked off at 24.2 gallons, and I forced in another .8 to make it 25.004 gallons. So if I was getting 14.2 mpg (lie-o-meter), I basically had another 85 miles left. Kind of frustrating actually. I will say this my old work ride (2019 Ford Explorer Police Interceptor) it was SPOT on, when it said one mile to empty, you better pray you’re within a mile. The Ram is literally all over the place. Then when I filled it up is said I was 213 to empty. If I got 14.2 MPG like the last tank, it should be about 440 miles…..not HALF that number! GrrrrrrrrrrAAC8188A-CC8A-4E90-AD9D-62B4CD2ABE7C.jpeg

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Found this string looking for answers for the same thing. So today I took it down to 32 miles to empty and I put in the most fuel it has taken. It clicked off at 24.2 gallons, and I forced in another .8 to make it 25.004 gallons. So if I was getting 14.2 mpg (lie-o-meter), I basically had another 85 miles left. Kind of frustrating actually. I will say this my old work ride (2019 Ford Explorer Police Interceptor) it was SPOT on, when it said one mile to empty, you better pray you’re within a mile. The Ram is literally all over the place. Then when I filled it up is said I was 213 to empty. If I got 14.2 MPG like the last tank, it should be about 440 miles…..not HALF that number! GrrrrrrrrrrView attachment 43142
The DTE has never been accurate but my avg is very close to accurate i dont understand why they cant get the DTE right

jetrinka

Reaction score
My lie-o-meter has always been fairly accurate actually... I'll hand calculate my mileage/reset my trip meter every time I get fuel and as long as I haven't been doing anything like a random towing trip at the end of the tank to throw it all off the average MPG has been pretty darn close. To the point that I actually sort of believe the range reading on a long road trip. I've touched mid 15's before on an empty and somewhat flat road trip before as long as I keep a decent speed and drive conservatively. I have no doubt Crusty is getting the MPG he says as I've seen it too.

jetrinka

Reaction score
The DTE has never been accurate but my avg is very close to accurate i dont understand why they cant get the DTE right
Maybe the diesels are harder to estimate due to the added factor of regen?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You can't say something vague like "recent diet" without details on what the diet entails. Perhaps its too controversial? *whispers "I hear @Rockcrawlerdude removed his front swaybar"*
My front sway bars have been gone in every solid axle truck i have bought since the early 90s lol. I my diet is part of the let the diesels breath movement :cool: no more restrictive crap in the exhaust

Redfour5

Reaction score
I’ll be happy as heck if my 6.4 megacab gets 16mpg. Supposed to be in shipping right now. My 1500 5.7 3.92’s might get 17-18 on a good day.
Down hill both ways, with a tail wind...

Reactions: @JC

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
It all

It all depends on how you drive.

I have made 17 MPG multiple times. That said it drops fast with stop and go driving.

70 on the highway from Flori-duh to SC, best I could get was 16... and that is the best I've ever gotten.

Redfour5

Reaction score
It all

It all depends on how you drive.

I have made 17 MPG multiple times. That said it drops fast with stop and go driving.
Jus kiddin, I've actually ht 16 mpg a few times and 17 once on a three hundred mile trip. I have a 3.73. In fact, in general, it compares surprisingly well with the 1500's. I've had three one with a 3.55 (2013), a 2015 with 3.92 gearing and a 2021 with 3.21 gears. Yes, they do get marginally better gas mileage, but I was pleasantly surprised by the 2500 in comparison particularly when I bought it at five bucks a gallon. And I really don't get that these do pretty well unloaded. Heck, the Renegade with the 2.4 Tigershark doesn't do a whole lot better.

Users who are viewing this thread