Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6.4 Big Horn Questions

BriGuy781

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum here. My truck has now shipped and I’m awaiting delivery by the end of the month. 2500 6.4 Patriot Blue night edition big horn. LED package, snow chief, bed package. Im coming from a f250 with a fisher v plow, traded that in. I just wanted some insight from people on this truck. I had a 19 Ram 1500 a few years back. I do a lot of snow removal in the winter and some light landscaping during the summer with this truck as a side job. Here are my questions.

Do you think I need Timbrens upfront to not have scraping on my V plow, should I go with a 2 inch leveler?

What muffler would you guys suggest? Ive been looking at magnaflow, I want a deep tone but not anything wild, worried about deleting the resonator as I hate drone.

Do you think the stock tires on the snow chief would be alright for a season or 2 of plowing? Id like to get some falken wild peaks but don’t want to toss 1500 down the drain if these stock firestones will get me by.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I deleted the resonator on my 21 Power Wagon. It's a little louder with a nice rumble. No drone what so ever. Is quiet when crusing. But hit the go pedal and she growls

BriGuy781

Reaction score
Did you do anything with the muffler or leave it stock? I’ve heard when the MDS kicks in that the drone will get pretty bad.

franko

Reaction score
I'll offer an opinion on the tires from my experience having them for about a month of winter weather.... ditch them. I did not like them in wet conditions and hated them in slush. Couldn't even imagine trying to push snow.
I just replaced mine last week and was able to sell the stock transforce ATs on Facebook marketplace for $125 per tire. Probably should have asked for more, as I had multiple people interested and the listing was only posted for 12 hours.

Firebird

Reaction score
On my 6.4, went Magnaflow, very happy
Tires suck, replace before snows

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Did you do anything with the muffler or leave it stock? I’ve heard when the MDS kicks in that the drone will get pretty bad.
Nope. Just cut off the resonator, replaced it with new pipe and tucked the new pipe and tip up out of the way where it should have been from the factory.
Pics in my build thread.
I dont hear any drone. Cant even tell when MDS kicks in.

fastfreddy

Reaction score
My setup is similar to yours. 6.4 3500 with Fisher XV2. My front end is stock and I haven't had any issues with it.

For the tires, the Firestones aren't great, but you can definitely get by with them for a season or 2. Make sure you have plenty of counterweight behind the rear axle. I plowed with them this year, and used them for 2 seasons when I bought my 2018. I keep a set of chains in the truck just in case, but haven't needed them. I do need to use 4WD much more than I do with a proper set of tires.

Users who are viewing this thread