Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6’ 4” Box & Factory Installed GN Hitch Help

SAJ

Reaction score
Hi Everyone — Sarah here. I have 2003 Cummins Short Bed — I use a B&W GN Hitch — with the 4” extender. It puts my hitch at a nice 36” from my window. I haul at 3 horse Trailswest Horse Trailer. I love it, but am going to upgrade the truck.

I am considering a new 2500 Cummins (might order and wait forever, or see what‘s possible on the lot).

BUT, my main concern is that if I get a factory installed GN hitch, that won’t be able to use the extender. SO, the question is, could someone please please, let me know, on a 2021 2500, the distance from the window, to the factory installed GN hitch?

If I buy from the lot, all of them have the factory installed GN, and if they aren’t 36” back, I would be concerned about hitting my back window. This will help me decide whether to order and get an aftermarket B&W and extender. I know I could make my life easier and just get a longer bed, but alas I prefer daily driving with a shorter bed. Thanks in advance for your help! Of course, any other input or ideas is also appreciated ;)

Darkone

Reaction score
I don’t have any measurements but what about putting a extender on the trailer? I’ve seen off set adapters that replaces the trailer end.

the other option would be to order without fifth wheel gn prep and just install a B&W to get a square hole.

SAJ

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the information on the trailer extender. I’m wondering does this actually fit the gooseneck ball installed at the factory?

McHenry2500

Reaction score
FWIW; For hauling a gooseneck horse trailer you maybe better off getting a 2500 without the GN prep package and having the B&W with the offset ball installed. The above goosneck coupler may or may not fit your particular trailer. The offset ball in the bed will 100% fit your truck.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
For your aplication i would get the GN prep and then its just an easy swap out for the b&w GN hitch then atleast if you ever need to haul a 5th wheel your all setup for the hitch

SAJ

Reaction score
Oh man - so many ideas! Thanks so much for your input! Okay - anyone also know the distance b/t the window and the GN ball from factory? Is it less than 36”? I’ve been preferring the idea of doing an aftermarket BnW GN set up on a new truck but alas - hard to find any new 2500s with features I want AND w/o the factory installed GN set up!

SAJ

Reaction score
FWIW; For hauling a gooseneck horse trailer you maybe better off getting a 2500 without the GN prep package and having the B&W with the offset ball installed. The above goosneck coupler may or may not fit your particular trailer. The offset ball in the bed will 100% fit your truck.
Yeah the trailer hitch shop told me that I have to check that the GN tube on my trailer is 4” in diameter for the GN extender to work on my trailer - I’ll measure today to see.

McHenry2500

Reaction score
For your aplication i would get the GN prep and then its just an easy swap out for the b&w GN hitch then atleast if you ever need to haul a 5th wheel your all setup for the hitch
Will the B&W offset ball fit in the factory puck system? I'm having to go with a complete B&W system in my 2500 because it didn't come with the factory 5th wheel/GN prep package.

RV_Goose

Reaction score

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Will the B&W offset ball fit in the factory puck system? I'm having to go with a complete B&W system in my 2500 because it didn't come with the factory 5th wheel/GN prep package.
No but the bw underbed part fits the same as the ram part so no need to drill any holes lol

SAJ

Reaction score
So is the implication that I could get a factory installed set up and take it to my hitch shop and get the BnW set up? If I did - it allows me to purchase a truck on lot vs buy one buy ordering. What would I need to tell my hitch shop to make this possible?

Last edited:

SAJ

Reaction score
So is the implication that I could get a factory installed set up and take it to my bitch shop and get the BnW set up? If I did - it allows me to purchase a truck on lot vs buy one buy ordering. What would I need to tell my hitch shop to make this possible?
Ha ha ooops autocorrect should have said hitch shop

Darkone

Reaction score
So is the implication that I could get a factory installed set up and take it to my hitch shop and get the BnW set up? If I did - it allows me to purchase a truck on lot vs buy one buy ordering. What would I need to tell my hitch shop to make this possible?
They will just need to remove the factory gn hitch and install the b&w. It will require either
A) loosening and lifting the bed to remove the factory bolts that hold the hitch on. They come down through the frame where as the B&w go up through with nuts on top.
B) use the factory bolts coming down through the frame. This may require shortening one of the bolts as it may interfere with your release handle.

The hole in the bed will line up and the trim ring will fit also. The only holes that will need drilled will be for the safety chains.

Here is a link to another thread that talks about this exact subject.
https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/swap-oem-gooseneck-hitch-for-b-w-turnover-ball.2392/

I had looked at replacing the factory setup for a B&W for other reasons but I ultimately decided to try the factory setup. Haven’t used it yet but I feel it will suit my use. If not I’ll be switching mine.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The hole in the bed will line up and the trim ring will fit also. The only holes that will need drilled will be for the safety chains.
i would just buy the ball set for the oem system for the chain rings instead of using the bw ones and having more holes in the bed

Users who are viewing this thread