Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th wheel weight

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I gotta use this form to find what 5ers people are using that actually aren't going over so I can see the models. I think most people are over lolol. 295 is pushing the limit. I gotta find more that have total weight less than 10k I'll search today and try to make a list.
Just remember the ONLY difference from the 3500SO to the 2500 is the rear suspension everything can handle way more than you can load the tires. As long as you stay within the tire rating you will not have any issues legally and mechanically

mggray87

Reaction score
Just remember the ONLY difference from the 3500SO to the 2500 is the rear suspension everything can handle way more than you can load the tires. As long as you stay within the tire rating you will not have any issues legally and mechanically
I have the OEM airbags so not sure what they can handle and level out before they disable and light up my dash.

G Mcpherson

Reaction score
I have owned a 2018 Ram 2500. Load Capacity was 2200lbs. It was set up with a Complete Thuren Suspension with the Soft Ride 1" rear coils. I had installed 4.10 gears do to Larger Tires and Performance. Also Installed Airlift 5000 Bags. My 5th wheel was rated at 12.5k max. Pin Wt. about 2200#. Aired up the Bags and it pulled and Handled great.

mggray87

Reaction score
not sure i can go much bigger but worst case the reflection 297 RSTS? if i give up on the 5th wheel idea and just roll with trailer..

mggray87

Reaction score
The have a 37 or something footer but that just sounds gigantic to me 315RLTS... Big boy....Screenshot_20231215-003047.png

CharlieL

Reaction score
I gotta use this form to find what 5ers people are using that actually aren't going over so I can see the models. I think most people are over lolol. 295 is pushing the limit. I gotta find more that have total weight less than 10k I'll search today and try to make a list.
I pulled trailers for 20 years before deciding to move up to fifth wheel, there are many significant differences and we won't go back. I had decided to move up from a Ram 150 to a diesel 2500 before I was even aware of this forum, so didn't ever consider a 3500 and the payload differences. We did alot of research, looking at floorplans, etc. before deciding on our 5th wheel. It is a 2022 KZ Durango Half Ton D250RED. The hitch weight listed on KZ's website was for 1,500 lbs, that's now changed to 1,650. My unit as built came in at 1,750, much to my surprise. But, the unit was custom ordered and built just as we wanted. I did a CAT scale weight fully loaded with and without the camper attached so I had good info. With the camper attached I am over the payload limit on the door sticker, but well under the 6,040 rear GAWR. I am fine with that - there's lots of comments & positions on this forum about that, so I won't go there.

There are many good 5th wheel brands out there, with many, many floor plans to chose from. We ended up with our KZ unit after spending many hours looking on line as well as visiting a few local dealers. KZ recently came out with a new model - the D240RKD. I am actually considering moving into that unit, but with all the mods/upgrades done to ours my wife is hesitant. On KZ's website it lists the hitch weight at 1,790. I contacted a dealer to find out the actual hitch weight of a unit they had in stock. Very surprisingly it was at 1,350!

Good luck on your search!

mggray87

Reaction score
Oh ok. Cool. Yea like I said a camper wasn't even thought of. I just wanted a truck if and when I can get my 5 acres. I wanted to have a truck I can pull a Kubota tractor. Plus If I was to get a trailer it would be a weekend thing. Maybe 1 week max. But most likely weekend getaways from my house. Not even out of state. Couple hours drives max. I love the layout of the 295 reflection. Has the island. 10cu fridge. I don't need a huge fridge as my durations aren't long. No kids. If I go it would most likely be my girlfriend and I or convince my dad to take a weekend with me to just get him out. So most likely all storage and drawers inside would remain empty. Haha. The added weight would be water propane batteries. That's really it.

Gman1988

Reaction score
Oh, I gotta get in on this! I was just browsing and searched for Grand Design LOL.

I just got a 2023 2500 CCSB 6.7 with the intent to upgrade my towing experience coming from my 2021 Power Wagon. I loved the wagon but despite doing everything I could to improve the towing it just really struggled up mountain passes. Now I am finding I am not much better with the new rig? Actually I am quite a bit better but closer to the limit than I would have expected.

I have a 2022 GD Reflection 150 - 280RS and we absolutely love it! So much so that I wanted to upgrade my truck so we could travel the Pacific Northwest even more. I also wanted to do it comfortably. Towed it to Utah and back last year.... spent 1k in gas and white knuckled the passes! The wagon did it but man.... well let's just leave it at that. I had all of the towing goodies on her but no exhaust brake and lacking the torque was a big issue. The Air Ride 5000's with cradles helped alot.

I should be good with my new setup but I, much like many others, opted for a towing tech laden 2500 for my tow vehicle for a few reasons. Mainly because I will still get off road a bit for hunting and hiking but also because I will still use her as my daily driver since I love trucks so much. I also have real issues with my back and bones that necessitated a smoother ride if possible. Long haul towing in comfort was a must. Since my 5er isn't a beast. I figured the 2500 would be just fine.

It will be! I got one of the last trucks on the lot that met my wish list so it is missing a few things. Hoping to find guidance and help here but don't want to hijack this post. I was just amazed at how closely this conversation hit the spot.

To the OP.... I would look at the 280RS. It has alot of nice benefits and fit our situation nicely. Having just the 2 of us for most of our travels, it has plenty of amenities and space to enjoy. It's also pretty light. Feel free to ask any questions. We really spent a good long time shopping and we were in and out of hundreds of fifth wheels. We looked at the Grand Design first and last....everything in between tried to match them but only a few came close.

I am really interested in the best setup since I am building mine from scratch now. I had the B&W Patriot but I am going to sell that and go with the flip type for easy install in my bed. Do you guys have the towing tech? I am trying to figure out the best camera setup as well but I see many are struggling with that. Have you GD owners found a way to use the wireless camera setup on the camper to integrate into the new truck systems? So many questions.

P.S. I love the new mirrors on these HD Rams!

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 20231221_121530.jpg
    20231221_121530.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19

mggray87

Reaction score
Oh, I gotta get in on this! I was just browsing and searched for Grand Design LOL.

I just got a 2023 2500 CCSB 6.7 with the intent to upgrade my towing experience coming from my 2021 Power Wagon. I loved the wagon but despite doing everything I could to improve the towing it just really struggled up mountain passes. Now I am finding I am not much better with the new rig? Actually I am quite a bit better but closer to the limit than I would have expected.

I have a 2022 GD Reflection 150 - 280RS and we absolutely love it! So much so that I wanted to upgrade my truck so we could travel the Pacific Northwest even more. I also wanted to do it comfortably. Towed it to Utah and back last year.... spent 1k in gas and white knuckled the passes! The wagon did it but man.... well let's just leave it at that. I had all of the towing goodies on her but no exhaust brake and lacking the torque was a big issue. The Air Ride 5000's with cradles helped alot.

I should be good with my new setup but I, much like many others, opted for a towing tech laden 2500 for my tow vehicle for a few reasons. Mainly because I will still get off road a bit for hunting and hiking but also because I will still use her as my daily driver since I love trucks so much. I also have real issues with my back and bones that necessitated a smoother ride if possible. Long haul towing in comfort was a must. Since my 5er isn't a beast. I figured the 2500 would be just fine.

It will be! I got one of the last trucks on the lot that met my wish list so it is missing a few things. Hoping to find guidance and help here but don't want to hijack this post. I was just amazed at how closely this conversation hit the spot.

To the OP.... I would look at the 280RS. It has alot of nice benefits and fit our situation nicely. Having just the 2 of us for most of our travels, it has plenty of amenities and space to enjoy. It's also pretty light. Feel free to ask any questions. We really spent a good long time shopping and we were in and out of hundreds of fifth wheels. We looked at the Grand Design first and last....everything in between tried to match them but only a few came close.

I am really interested in the best setup since I am building mine from scratch now. I had the B&W Patriot but I am going to sell that and go with the flip type for easy install in my bed. Do you guys have the towing tech? I am trying to figure out the best camera setup as well but I see many are struggling with that. Have you GD owners found a way to use the wireless camera setup on the camper to integrate into the new truck systems? So many questions.

P.S. I love the new mirrors on these HD Rams!

Hope this helps.
They look very similar. What different besides a couple feet smaller. Weight is dam close as the 295RL. I don't like how I can't get the gen y for it. They only make it in goose neck. That's another downer for me. I have in my mind kind of set. I want the Gen Y. But the website shows dealer only and doesn't give much more on it

foneguy

Reaction score
I have the 2500, (2019) cc lb cummins with 3.73 gears, I added Firestone 5000's to make a smoother ride, also a curt 24K in the puck system.
our fiver is a sportsman 344BH. 40' 4 slides and gross weight of 12K that ill never see we have food clothes and a mini flat top and 2 bikes.
she rides level at 40psi in the bags, stopping is normal for any rv trailer id have on, and take off is awesome.
no I have not taken the time to goto the scales yet, but ill say this, half of our trips are short (no more than 2 hrs) long trips are from ohio to Panama City beach, bar harbor main, Columbus Mississippi. the only negative thing I can say is 40' is sometimes too long.

I wanted a 3500 but by the time the dealer reacted to the one I wanted they were all gone, so I went with the 2500, were hoping to downsize our fifth wheel soon as we don't need the extra bed room now that kids are gone. that's if the prices get back to a reasonable level!
best of luck

Riccochet

Reaction score
I have the 2500, (2019) cc lb cummins with 3.73 gears, I added Firestone 5000's to make a smoother ride, also a curt 24K in the puck system.
our fiver is a sportsman 344BH. 40' 4 slides and gross weight of 12K that ill never see we have food clothes and a mini flat top and 2 bikes.
she rides level at 40psi in the bags, stopping is normal for any rv trailer id have on, and take off is awesome.
no I have not taken the time to goto the scales yet, but ill say this, half of our trips are short (no more than 2 hrs) long trips are from ohio to Panama City beach, bar harbor main, Columbus Mississippi. the only negative thing I can say is 40' is sometimes too long.

I wanted a 3500 but by the time the dealer reacted to the one I wanted they were all gone, so I went with the 2500, were hoping to downsize our fifth wheel soon as we don't need the extra bed room now that kids are gone. that's if the prices get back to a reasonable level!
best of luck
Honestly, you are WAY over payload.

But, like most on here say, SEND IT!

foneguy

Reaction score
Actually by he sticker I’m at that max but also I don’t have $80K for a new 3500

mggray87

Reaction score
i actually like the 280RL that was mentioned but i watched a video on it today and the guy showing explained the weight and his math after loading would even be over my 2060 or 2040lb rear lol.. maybe ill just make my own 5th wheel out of paper mache.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Actually by he sticker I’m at that max but also I don’t have $80K for a new 3500
At 12k you are way over on payload. Considering 5th wheels are generally 20% pin weight. That's not including the 200 lb hitch you have in the bed plus people/gear you have in the truck.

Gman1988

Reaction score
They look very similar. What different besides a couple feet smaller. Weight is dam close as the 295RL. I don't like how I can't get the gen y for it. They only make it in goose neck. That's another downer for me. I have in my mind kind of set. I want the Gen Y. But the website shows dealer only and doesn't give much more on it
What is this Gen Y? I will have to look into it ut I can tell you the stock setup with the B&W is very smooth and under control. It's easy to load and unload as well.

I like the 280RS because it provided some options we liked. It also has a small outside kitchen with a refer which gives us a little more capacity for longer trips. Having the rear convertible sofa also provides a little extra sleeping capacity. Overall, we just really fell in love with the GD brand!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
At 12k you are way over on payload. Considering 5th wheels are generally 20% pin weight. That's not including the 200 lb hitch you have in the bed plus people/gear you have in the truck.
Thats trailer gross (max) not the actual weight so he likely closer to 10k

mggray87

Reaction score
What is this Gen Y? I will have to look into it ut I can tell you the stock setup with the B&W is very smooth and under control. It's easy to load and unload as well.

I like the 280RS because it provided some options we liked. It also has a small outside kitchen with a refer which gives us a little more capacity for longer trips. Having the rear convertible sofa also provides a little extra sleeping capacity. Overall, we just really fell in love with the GD brand!
I was just in a class c rv which has a gen built in to run all outlets and such how do these work for outlets. Bring your own gen? Also do the new models have auto level?

Riccochet

Reaction score
Thats trailer gross (max) not the actual weight so he likely closer to 10k
Considering most 2500 diesel's have a payload around 2000 lbs, and 20% of 10,000 lbs is 2000 lbs, plus a 200 lb hitch, passengers, gear.....

what's your point? That's still way over payload.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Considering most 2500 diesel's have a payload around 2000 lbs, and 20% of 10,000 lbs is 2000 lbs, plus a 200 lb hitch, passengers, gear.....

what's your point? That's still way over payload.

Payload is a meaningless number for most 3/4 ton owners. Every state I’ve researched doesn’t care about GVWR, which is how payload is derived.

What actually matters are tire and axle ratings.

Thanks to the internet people are now treating GVWR as something important, even thou there isn’t anything backing that. I believe this is having a direct impact on Ram 2500 sales since both Furd and GM have 3/4 tones with higher than 10K GVWRs.

Some people need a 10K GVWR truck for commercial reasons. Ram needs to make it an option, not the standard. They also would benefit from a 10K GVWR 3500.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread