Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th wheel weight

mggray87

Reaction score
The 303 on its own puts you over your payload, before you put people in the truck or a hitch in the bed.
Hah ok that's out. 195RL ?

I'm only hesitating because storage. Outdoor storage will beat it to crap. Lol. Fade in a year lolol

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh dam. Can't change to gen Y on the 295rl?
Then 303 would better. The bathroom has doors on both sides right??

303RLS bath has a hall door and bedroom pocket door.

I don't know if the 295RL has one, but when we looked to get out of our 2004 Cougar 290EFS (rear kitchen) the pantry and camp side dinette were the deal makers for us.

Our 303 has been great. Couple recalls but customer service has always been great. Now that I say that, I'll probably get told to stuff it when I ask for some compensation for a roof repair due to insufficient glue...

downsc123

Reaction score

I don't know if the 295RL has one, but when we looked to get out of our 2004 Cougar 290EFS (rear kitchen) the pantry and camp side dinette were the deal makers for us.

Our 303 has been great. Couple recalls but customer service has always been great. Now that I say that, I'll probably get told to stuff it when I ask for some compensation for a roof repair due to insufficient glue...
What year is your 303? I have a 2023 324MBS that I bought in August of 2022 that had the roof bubbling issue (likely due to the glue they use is a new/different formula and not using enough of it). At the end of this season, I got GD to authorize a completely new roof and I was a few months part the 1 year warranty. They authorized it immediately without any questions.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
What year is your 303? I have a 2023 324MBS that I bought in August of 2022 that had the roof bubbling issue (likely due to the glue they use is a new/different formula and not using enough of it). At the end of this season, I got GD to authorize a completely new roof and I was a few months part the 1 year warranty. They authorized it immediately without any questions.

I think we took delivery May 2018? so pretty far outside of warranty. That said, GD knows they had roof glue issues so I'm hopeful they will pay for the repair. We caught it early enough that it did not get to the point it needed to be replaced. No bubbling issues, just the front 3-4' where it slopes.

mggray87

Reaction score

Well if 303 is to big for my 2500 6.7 longhorn. I gotta keep looking at the 295RL. I wonder what the biggest difference is except bigger. Looks pretty much same layout

mkmsr

Reaction score
150 series, or any 1/2 ton towable/Light Series uses lighter weight materials and thinner walls in order to save weight. You may want to look at a Reflection travel trailer to see if they have a floor plan you like. Having a fifth wheel is more pleasurable to tow than a travel trailer and a quicker setup once you've arrived at your site. I would suggest hitting an RV show to see what you truly like in a floor plan and manufacturer. But having 2 different Grand Design campers you can't go wrong in my opinion. Best of luck on making a decision.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

mggray87

Reaction score
150 series, or any 1/2 ton towable/Light Series uses lighter weight materials and thinner walls in order to save weight. You may want to look at a Reflection travel trailer to see if they have a floor plan you like. Having a fifth wheel is more pleasurable to tow than a travel trailer and a quicker setup once you've arrived at your site. I would suggest hitting an RV show to see what you truly like in a floor plan and manufacturer. But having 2 different Grand Design campers you can't go wrong in my opinion. Best of luck on making a decision.

Thinner walls. Hmm. Sounds cheap

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Well if 303 is to big for my 2500 6.7 longhorn. I gotta keep looking at the 295RL. I wonder what the biggest difference is except bigger. Looks pretty much same layout

They're mostly the same length.

295RL, no front BR slide, smaller refer. Bath layout is different.

1702496590535.png
1702496626011.png

FWIW, that MSRP is $20K higher than when we bought our 303RLS in 2018. Crazy. Hopefully the discounts are deeper.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Thinner walls. Hmm. Sounds cheap

Thinner is technically accurate, bit a bit misleading. "Stronger" and heavier is more accurate.

AFAIK, and per a GDRV quote from another site (below), all bed slide models have an extra layer of Luan on the exterior of the wall.

Lots of conflicting info on the actual insulation/wall thickness overall. I've seen pics of walls anywhere 1-13/16 to 2" depending on model/year.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. There was a typo on our website. There is a difference between the two... We have always advertised the sidewalls as being R-9 for all Reflection 5th wheels and travel trailers. However, all of our bed slide 5th wheels may indeed have a bit higher R-rating due to them having an extra layer of lauan, but how much that effects the R-value, we can not speak with confidence.

We have updated our website, so it should be accurate now. Thanks again!

mggray87

Reaction score
They're mostly the same length.

295RL, no front BR slide, smaller refer. Bath layout is different.

View attachment 66716
View attachment 66717

FWIW, that MSRP is $20K higher than when we bought our 303RLS in 2018. Crazy. Hopefully the discounts are deeper.
lol dam.. why did i get the longhorn just for the western feel LOL... 303 bathroom looks a little more roomier.. im 6'2 220. wasnt even thinking of a 5th wheel ERR

Riccochet

Reaction score
It’s not the Longhorn, it’s the Cummins on a 2500 that’s limiting you.
This. I have the same truck, basically, with the 6.4 and 3047 lbs of payload. The cummins saps almost 1000 lbs of payload off the truck.

While it'll probably be fine going a little over, I would try to keep that as minimal as possible.

mggray87

Reaction score
I gotta use this form to find what 5ers people are using that actually aren't going over so I can see the models. I think most people are over lolol. 295 is pushing the limit. I gotta find more that have total weight less than 10k I'll search today and try to make a list.

Riccochet

Reaction score
I gotta use this form to find what 5ers people are using that actually aren't going over so I can see the models. I think most people are over lolol. 295 is pushing the limit. I gotta find more that have total weight less than 10k I'll search today and try to make a list.
Honestly, the truck can handle a lot more weight. It's just what Stellantis paid to have to rated for. If you look at F250's and GM 2500's some of them are rated for 10,700 or 11,400 GVWR. And there's nothing special about them from one rated for 10,000. Really comes down to if you wreck and are grossly overloaded it could be an issue. Don't hear about it being an issue, but you certainly don't want to be the first either. lol

mggray87

Reaction score
Honestly, the truck can handle a lot more weight. It's just what Stellantis paid to have to rated for. If you look at F250's and GM 2500's some of them are rated for 10,700 or 11,400 GVWR. And there's nothing special about them from one rated for 10,000. Really comes down to if you wreck and are grossly overloaded it could be an issue. Don't hear about it being an issue, but you certainly don't want to be the first either. lol
Just out of curiosity. If I go the travel trailer route how heavy can I go on this truck

Users who are viewing this thread