Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th wheel weight

mggray87

Reaction score
I have a 19' ram 2500 longhorn 6.7 diesel. Crew cab standard bed. Unfortunately not the long bed. I haven't shopped for what I like yet but before I start browsing. I'm wondering what weight should I look at as absolute max. I don't have kids. For weight purposes. I looked at my truck. The specs are as follows GVWR: 10,000, GAWR REAR: 6040.

I had the 5th wheel prep put in the bed. I know I need the b&w companion slider since my bed isn't full size. My truck has the rear air bags that came with the longhorn. It's leveled on 35" tires. If this matters

mkmsr

Reaction score
Look at the Curt Crosswing hitch. It will give you an additional 7" of cab clearance and weights 70 lbs. With a 3/4 ton truck you will need to save as much payload as possible so I would avoid the slider.

I pull a 35' GD Reflection with no cab clearance issues.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

downsc123

Reaction score
As stated above, you don't need the slider unless you need to get to a full 90 degree turn. I have the standard 6 foot bed as well and pull a 37 foot GD Reflection have yet to even come close to hitting the rear cab. I went with the B&W companion non-slider and love it. With 2 people you can get in out of the bed. My neighbor went with the slider version and it does weigh quite a bit more (need to use an engine hoist to get it out of the bed). In the end, just watch your payload as the 2500 with the Cummins is pretty limited with payload.

Also keep in mind that the posted pin weights of trailers are dry and most are not that accurate - a google search will show you actual pin weights.

mggray87

Reaction score
Look at the Curt Crosswing hitch. It will give you an additional 7" of cab clearance and weights 70 lbs. With a 3/4 ton truck you will need to save as much payload as possible so I would avoid the slider.

I pull a 35' GD Reflection with no cab clearance issues.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
As stated above, you don't need the slider unless you need to get to a full 90 degree turn. I have the standard 6 foot bed as well and pull a 37 foot GD Reflection have yet to even come close to hitting the rear cab. I went with the B&W companion non-slider and love it. With 2 people you can get in out of the bed. My neighbor went with the slider version and it does weigh quite a bit more (need to use an engine hoist to get it out of the bed). In the end, just watch your payload as the 2500 with the Cummins is pretty limited with payload.

Also keep in mind that the posted pin weights of trailers are dry and most are not that accurate - a google search will show you actual pin weights.
Man that 303RLS is pretty nice on YouTube. I'm digging it. Smallest one they sell

I actually dig the 295RL more. Bathroom has more privacy.

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Man that 303RLS is pretty nice on YouTube. I'm digging it. Smallest one they sell

I actually dig the 295RL more. Bathroom has more privacy.

I have a 2018 303RLS and the pin weight is 2100-2400 depending on load and boat attached/not attached.

FWIW, we like our Jack-N-Jill bathroom, but it's just the 2 of us. Maybe the grandson if Dad leaves him an extra day either side, but he sleeps 12 hours without waking. LOL.

Be Advised those "1/2T towable" models have a Turning Point pinbox/frame that precludes changing it out for something like a Goosebox or Gen-Y.

Glad I have the 3500.

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
As far as what your truck can handle my old Jayco is 37ft(measuring from bumper to pin) and 10,000lbs dry with a 2k pin weight dry. I have a 365lbs hitch setup (270lbs air ride hitch and 85lbs puck adapter) so just the trailer loaded with nothing else in the box is around 2500lbs, plus I usually have a generator with extra gas, fire wood, propane tanks, crossbed tool box/or 100gal aux tank depending on the trip so i am likely 3000-3200 in the bed of the truck with my 19 2500 CTD no issues it rides nice and that was before the airbags. I only added the air bags to increase stability when i haul my water tote

I should have bought a 3500 DRW for what i do but there was none when i bought my truckAnd could not wait to order one. Regardless the 2500 handles it flawlessly

Last edited:

mggray87

Reaction score
I have a 2018 303RLS and the pin weight is 2100-2400 depending on load and boat attached/not attached.

FWIW, we like our Jack-N-Jill bathroom, but it's just the 2 of us. Maybe the grandson if Dad leaves him an extra day either side, but he sleeps 12 hours without waking. LOL.

Be Advised those "1/2T towable" models have a Turning Point pinbox/frame that precludes changing it out for something like a Goosebox or Gen-Y.

Glad I have the 3500.
Oh dam. Can't change to gen Y on the 295rl?
Then 303 would better. The bathroom has doors on both sides right??

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
His 275/70R18 just like mine does?
Your hemi has the same GVWR as the cummins they just lower your front axle capacity and increase the rear capacity so for the extra weight they say you can carry on the rear they just bump the tire pressure up to match

Grateful Dad

Reaction score

Glad I have the 3500.
I replaced the turning point on my 150 series with the Gen-Y

Attachments

• 68469958960__8CD2FF8A-0211-4983-9FAD-EC93FAF9C8DA.jpeg
    68469958960__8CD2FF8A-0211-4983-9FAD-EC93FAF9C8DA.jpeg
    921.7 KB · Views: 38

Users who are viewing this thread