Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th wheel to gooseneck adapters

Shannon NEMT

Reaction score
My wife and I are looking at toy haulers. With our lifestyle I think it's best to go with the B&W Gooseneck ball, removable so I can have the bed of the truck.
Can anyone recommend a proven adapter that you like?

CFE

Reaction score
Reese Goosebox is the only Lippert approved gooseneck adapter to my knowledge. i know Gen-Y is working with Lippert for approval (warranty purposes) but as of April 2022, they weren't on Lippert's list.

- I have the Goosebox 20k on my rig fwiw.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
My wife and I are looking at toy haulers. With our lifestyle I think it's best to go with the B&W Gooseneck ball, removable so I can have the bed of the truck.
There is no proven adapter that is safe

Silverbeard

Reaction score
There is an important distinction to be made between gooseneck adapters that fasten to the pinbox, and gooseball conversion pinboxes like the Reese GooseBox and the Gen-Y. The adapters have been known to cause damage to pinboxes or trailer frames.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Shannon NEMT

Reaction score
Yepp! I tow a Momentum 398m with a 20k goosebox. Never go back.
We are just dipping our toes into this but everything I've read so far that sure seems like the right path for us. Hoping to get some time to talk to a couple of places that sell RV's in the next week or so.
Really appreciate everyone's input!

BAT3500

Reaction score
Also, is the truck in question a shortbed? If so carefully consider turning clearance issues. With my full width trailer and megacab truck (shortbed), i use a slider hitch. Looked at the goosebox/gen y options but dont believe i have the required clearance for turns.

Shannon NEMT

Reaction score
Also, is the truck in question a shortbed? If so carefully consider turning clearance issues. With my full width trailer and megacab truck (shortbed), i use a slider hitch. Looked at the goosebox/gen y options but dont believe i have the required clearance for turns.
We have the 8' bed. That was something we had decided on when we were looking for a truck. Thank you!

Reactions: CFE

Herrred

Reaction score
We are just dipping our toes into this but everything I've read so far that sure seems like the right path for us. Hoping to get some time to talk to a couple of places that sell RV's in the next week or so.
Really appreciate everyone's input!
I have a CCSB with a 16k Resse GB and towing a 38' 14k Palomino Columbus. I can turn just shy of 90 degrees with ease, did it as a test but never have I needed it. I will never use a traditional kingpin box again. The GB is silent, I mean zero noise from chucking or stress. I keep my GB airbag around 55psi and it is a ghost back there. When I'm done, I pick up a 20lb goosball and store it under my back seat.

Diesel42

Reaction score
I went with "Convert A Ball" system on my 33' 16k Toy Hauler. We travel off the pavement so the gooseneck hitch offers that flexability, not to mention not having to deal with the hitch itself. Simple with a gooseneck ball. I heard of all the supposed potentail issues of damage to the pin box. We havent had any problem nor have I actually seen a problem with anyone else who has converted over. With todays litagating society you can damn well beat no manufacturers would be selling them.

Reaction score
Yepp! I tow a Momentum 398m with a 20k goosebox. Never go back.

Did I hear correctly, that Reese is working on a 22k or 25k goosebox? I'm sold after towing a friend's Solitude with one, but I'd like a little more leeway since my 5th wheel is 21k gvwr

CFE

Reaction score
Did I hear correctly, that Reese is working on a 22k or 25k goosebox? I'm sold after towing a friend's Solitude with one, but I'd like a little more leeway since my 5th wheel is 21k gvwr

I'm not sure - as Reese will only manufacture it if they have Lippert support...but i'm sure if there's a market for larger gooseboxes and they can have Lippert OE support, they'll make it.

Sauksxs

Reaction score
We switched over to the GenY on our Momentum 350M TH have about 4K miles with the new truck working nice
They say it take around 1k to settle in but we notice a big difference after about 600 miles. Been on some rough roads thru Arizona, NM, Colorado , Wyoming , Montana and now in Idaho very happy. Took a bit to get used to hooking up Gooseneck from the B & W Companion.

Users who are viewing this thread