Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th wheel prep kit national backorder

mggray87

Reaction score
Crazy I emailed a few places and all similar responses. The 5th wheel prep kit is on backorder for the 2019 ram 2500. Bummer. But I don't need it anytime soon. I just wanted to install it and have it. So I guess it's ok. Just shocked it's on backorder with no return date

DPeglow

Reaction score
Unless you want the puck system to mount specific fifth wheel, I would look into the B&W turnover ball hitch. They make a Compantion fifth wheel that drops into that turn over ball receiver, and then you only have 1 hole in your bed instead of 5.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Unless you want the puck system to mount specific fifth wheel, I would look into the B&W turnover ball hitch. They make a Compantion fifth wheel that drops into that turn over ball receiver, and then you only have 1 hole in your bed instead of 5.

FWIW the turnover ball does put 5 holes in the bed.

While it’s a good option, it’s not rated as good as the puck hitch and it’s not as stable.

The puck system is superior. 100% of the weight goes directly to the frame with the puck system, which isn’t the case with the GN companion.

mggray87

Reaction score

While it’s a good option, it’s not rated as good as the puck hitch and it’s not as stable.

The puck system is superior. 100% of the weight goes directly to the frame with the puck system, which isn’t the case with the GN companion.
I know nothing about 5th wheel. Never had one never touched one. Just from what I'm reading. If I get a camping trailer sometime. I've read curt a25? I have a standard bed so I would need the sliding one.... All a reading and learning experience. Pure rookie

DPeglow

Reaction score
I know nothing about 5th wheel. Never had one never touched one. Just from what I'm reading. If I get a camping trailer sometime. I've read curt a25? I have a standard bed so I would need the sliding one.... All a reading and learning experience. Pure rookie
I also have a short bed, and use the Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel Connection. There are some guys here on the forums that gripe about it, but I'm going on ~8k miles over the last 2 years with no issues pulling a 12000# trailer. Helps with the short bed turn radius, easy to remove, and attaches to just the goose-ball. Still can't get to 90* turning but haven't been in a situation that warranted it, and just take it easy on U-turns and watch the cap/cab clearance.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

The Curt gets mixed reviews.

There are lots of options for the OEM pucks.

A slider may or may not be required, depending on trailer design and preference.

Personally I like the B&W hitches that use the OEM pucks.

You want the pin weight to be just forward of the axle when going down the road for the best handling.

decelt

Reaction score

Not the one I installed. One 4" hole and it's plenty stable. You're getting bad info.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

tchur1

Reaction score
Not the one I installed. One 4" hole and it's plenty stable. You're getting bad info.

Did you also install the hooks for safety chains? I believe that is what @AH64ID is referring to. The 1 4" hole for the ball and then the 4 other smaller holes to secure safety chains.

mggray87

Reaction score
i been watching so much youtube im second guessing the oem pucks i ordered to install. it sounds like pin weight and etc is not high enough on these 2500 6.7L. i have a longhorn which may be even lower pin weight limit. but sounds like most trailors are gonna be to much....

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
i been watching so much youtube im second guessing the oem pucks i ordered to install. it sounds like pin weight and etc is not high enough on these 2500 6.7L. i have a longhorn which may be even lower pin weight limit. but sounds like most trailors are gonna be to much....

Research your states laws. For example, in Idaho payload/GVWR is not a legal limit. You can load up to axle ratings and be legal, and safe. GVWR is more of an advertising and emissions rating, that’s it.

Research of statutes is far more relevant than YouTube. Many people have purchased new trucks that have the same frame designs, axels, brakes, etc as their 2500 with a different sticker.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

Take the internet and youtube crap with a grain of salt… according to the “payload” sticker which means nothing on my 19 2500 6.7L CTD i can only carry 2040lbs but according to my axle weights i can have 4040lbs.

For example here i have 2150lbs with the water tote plus 5 full fuel cans in the bed i usually have a minimum of 200lbs worth of tools and emergency gear and a fully loaded trailer with all my hunting gear and side by side… there is around 3000lbs on the truck and it still works well the 2500 is very capable for the avg camper.

My 5th wheel pin weight is 2k dry and my hitch setup is 365lbs and the truck handles it very easily aswell.

IMG_7497.jpeg

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
You can take the internet crap with a grain of salt, but I love the Curt A25 I've had since 2018. I converted it from rail to Puck when I got the 2020.

I almost got the Patriot (rail) but there were a couple things that swayed me to the A25. The Patriot topped out at 16K (I didn't have a GN installed, just aftermarket rails, and I was upgrading as it was to a new 5th wheel and knew my whole setup would be pushing 16K.

You can't go wrong with either B&W Companion or Curt A25/A30. I'd avoid the Q-series, they can have oscillation issues with cushioned pinboxes.

The only anecdotal comment I could make about B&W was owner induced stupidity (that he freely admits). One of my best friends owns an RV storage and repair business (in his "retirement") and failed to notice a trailer he was moving had a slider block attached to the pinbox. As expected, it destroyed his B&W hitch head. Not expected was that it also destroyed the supporting arms. That's not a knock against the B&W, in fact I like that there's some flexibility in the adjustment on them with those vertical arms. If I didn't already have the A25, I probably would have gotten a B&W puck hitch.

Unless you're going to convert the 5th wheel to a Goosebox or Gen-Y, I'd go puck.

The B&W GN attach hitch or the AUH applies weight to the bed through torque loads.

With the puck system you always have more flexibility. If you need to offset a non-slider, The B&W setup requires their GN plate (square hole). Gen-Y makes an offset that uses the Ram factory GN hole and rear set of pucks.

Very much not a fan of the AUH. I'd do another picture dump of all the failed AUH, but why bother, the info is out there.

decelt

Reaction score
Did you also install the hooks for safety chains? I believe that is what @AH64ID is referring to. The 1 4" hole for the ball and then the 4 other smaller holes to secure safety chains.
I did not.... And forgot all about those. The perfect world solution is factory installed puck systems, isn't it!

Users who are viewing this thread