Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Wheel hitches with turning point pin box question

P.A.

Reaction score
So our RAM CC is on order and will be here next month. Our plan is to find a used Grand Design Reflection 150 series 5th wheel which has the turning point pin box which can be locked out. Was hoping to get the Andersen Ultimate or PullRite Super lite hitch. Trying to reduce weight in the bed. Love the idea that they can easily be removed if needed.

Does anyone know if this type hitches can be used with the turning point pin box? Thank you.

Last edited:

406Linetrash

Reaction score
With my orbital you can use an adapter. But you have to get a new plate. And everyone, even the manufacturer says it's a bad idea.

Your best bet is to download the manual from orbital. It will say in there. But I'm guessing no.

Edit: I mean turning point for manual

P.A.

Reaction score
With my orbital you can use an adapter. But you have to get a new plate. And everyone, even the manufacturer says it's a bad idea.

Your best bet is to download the manual from orbital. It will say in there. But I'm guessing no.

Edit: I mean turning point for manual
Hmm..ok. Thanks

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
They do sell different wedges for different hitch styles

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
@P.A. If using the AUH, you’ll have to keep the Turing Point locked out (per the AUH instructions). Moving the pivot point changes where/how leverage is applied to the hitch, the B&W companion says the same iirc.

I’m currently running the AUH with my GD Reflection 150 Series 278BH

And FWIW, I have the coupler “swung around” meaning it moves the cap closer to the cab……..I can turn 90* with my CCSB. It gets close but she clears!

Attachments

• C35732ED-A130-44C6-81AC-6E55C0BCF9D5.jpeg
    C35732ED-A130-44C6-81AC-6E55C0BCF9D5.jpeg
    416.2 KB · Views: 44

P.A.

Reaction score
@P.A. If using the AUH, you’ll have to keep the Turing Point locked out (per the AUH instructions). Moving the pivot point changes where/how leverage is applied to the hitch, the B&W companion says the same iirc.

I’m currently running the AUH with my GD Reflection 150 Series 278BH

And FWIW, I have the coupler “swung around” meaning it moves the cap closer to the cab……..I can turn 90* with my CCSB. It gets close but she clears!
Great!! Thank you for that information

orlando bull

Reaction score
Can't help with the fiver, but I have had both the AUH and the PullRite Super Lite. I currently use the PullRite as it gives me maybe an inch more clearance (maybe 2, haven't done that math in a while). With the Anderson, I had to have the coupler turned in reverse for my pinbox not to contact the bed sides. My Highland Ridge RV fiver has a rounded cap, but not extremely forgiving on tight turns. I can't get a full 90 degrees, but I haven't had any issues yet. AUH is more simple to install/remove, but the PullRite feels more substantial and is heavier. Both of them ride a little rough in my opinion, but I have never had a conventional hitch, so maybe thats just the norm. I would really like the Reese Gooseball, but I haven't gotten any warm fuzzies that it would work well with the short bed.

Bottom line, I don't think you'll go wrong with either hitch, I've had both and ultimately chose the PullRite for my needs.

rsday75

Reaction score
For what this is worth.....
I have a Reese Revolution.....same principal as the orbital....
I use a B&W hitch with the specific wedge for the B&W.
Tow a 2016 Jayco 355MBQS with a GVWR of 13,750lbs.
It tows excellent. No pinbox swing in the truck bed means we can put gear all around the bed up to the rails.
B&W hitch is 2 pieces....50ish lbs for the head and 100ish for the base. Not too bad to install/remove on my own.

Wileykid

Reaction score
He doesn't need a wedge. The supplied wedge will be in the stored (lockout) location under and behind the kingpin plate unless the dealer changes it for a conventional 5th wheel hitch.
Actually he should. The supplied one is pretty sloppy on a number of different plates. I have the Reese Sidewinder (same, just different name), and a Reese hitch. The supplied wedge allowed a fair amount of movement, I bought a wedge for the hitch I had, which stopped the excess movement.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually he should. The supplied one is pretty sloppy on a number of different plates. I have the Reese Sidewinder (same, just different name), and a Reese hitch. The supplied wedge allowed a fair amount of movement, I bought a wedge for the hitch I had, which stopped the excess movement.

Everyone saying he needs a wedge needs to re-read the author's post.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Anderson here. I actually have 2 of them. New DRW has the original aluminum piece utilizing the factory ball mount in the center of the bed and my '99 truck has the Anderson that drops into conventional 5th rails--that unit is steel.

Both work great. I cannot get a full 90* on my new truck (mega cab short bed) but it is very close... maybe 75-80* before I get uncomfortable.

I have the coupler configured where the trailer is moved closer to the cab. Tows outstanding, very smooth. No complaints.

Users who are viewing this thread