Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th wheel hitch slider or no slider?

Hardtop

Reaction score
In

Long story made simple. I found it on Craigslist for a killer deal and pretty much brand new, I think he towed twice with it. Too good to pass up and it was the hitch I wanted but no one sells them locally around me which had me contemplating. But the guy sold it cause he traded his mega in for a long bed dully otherwise he loved it and now had no use for the sliding hitch
Yup, hard to beat a killer deal. Hoping he's got a brother/cousin/buddy nearby who just got a long bed. ;)

desertskier

Reaction score
I have a SuperLite 1P 2600 non-slider in my SB. Pulling a Grand Design Momentum Toy Hauler. No problem with turns. Doesn't even come close to the cab.

Redfour5

Reaction score
I was not going to get a slider but my wife said " what if you need to make a sharp turn and there's a lot of traffic and not much room?" I never thought of that, we have the slider.
Don't worry about a slider. Take a national Forest road back to a back area campground, with an uneven area and turn...hard in. Cuss, say to yourself it never did that on concrete... Call your insurance agent for both the trailer and the cab on your shortbed, schedule repairs.

desertskier

Reaction score
Don't worry about a slider. Take a national Forest road back to a back area campground, with an uneven area and turn...hard in. Cuss, say to yourself it never did that on concrete... Call your insurance agent for both the trailer and the cab on your shortbed, schedule repairs.
The rear of the pinbox is pretty far back already. Any farther and it would be too close to the tailgate. The SuperLite 2600 is adjustable and I have it set all the way back. The scenario you described may require a longbed regardless of the type of hitch. When I decided to get a SB I accepted that it would have some limitations vs. a LB. That being said I really don't see the cap ever hitting the cab with this trailer.

werard

Reaction score
I have had 2 different fws (one a 2021 Alliance, current is 2022 Riverstone) since buying my current truck. I would not have been able to make either work without my slider based on some of the campgrounds we have had to maneuver and park in. One was an issue due to uneven ground while parking (site had a bit of a lip to get in / out of) and the other was VERY tight. I might have been able to get it done without a slider, but I would not have been very comfortable with it. With the auto slider, as long as it works, I really don't even think about it now. It is worth the piece of mind, though I would really like a Gen Y hitch to be able to replace the hitch with a ball. But we really like the extra room in the Megacab for the dogs, so we make due.

What model Alliance? and what are your thought on it? We are considering getting a Paradigm.

Users who are viewing this thread