Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th wheel hitch choices a 2019 Ram 3500 short bed

Tsys100718

Reaction score
Thanks, If I can get 7' I will be fine. I think it runs about 6'8" tall with the tires and lift. it is 65" wide and 108" long. The only concern I had was the height and I figured I could lay the couches against the wall. I have also read where that camper has the cut outs on the corners for tighter turns with short bed trucks. I think I will be fine with the super glide single point for the lighter weight or the B&W for standard hook up. Which hitch do you run with yours?

The front cap does indeed have swept back corners designed for shorter bed trucks. Another thing I would consider, and I did it to mine, is replacing the self tapping screws that hold the D rings on the outer two rows, to the floor with bolts, washers and nuts. Again, it's a matter of preference but I did not want to trust my trike to 3 in self tapping screws! While it is true that the screws go through a thin metal strip underneath, I felt better replacing them with bolts. It took maybe an hour to do this and cost around $20 or so. Again, just my 2 pennies worth!

Tsys100718

Reaction score
Thanks, If I can get 7' I will be fine. I think it runs about 6'8" tall with the tires and lift. it is 65" wide and 108" long. The only concern I had was the height and I figured I could lay the couches against the wall. I have also read where that camper has the cut outs on the corners for tighter turns with short bed trucks. I think I will be fine with the super glide single point for the lighter weight or the B&W for standard hook up. Which hitch do you run with yours?

AND, you could always use the old trucker trick for hauling air tired vehicles! Just let a bit of air out of the tires to load and unload, to get a bit more clearance. I used to do this with high rubber tired tow motors to get bridge clearance. I'm assuming you'll carry an air compressor. You could pick up 3 or 4 inches that way without damaging the tires. Again, my 2 pennies!

Huskerz1

Reaction score
I made a decision to stick with the Pullrite SuperGlide 2315 for my new Mega Cab DRW. Having a very positive previous experience with the Pullrite 4400 for 13 years, I took this route. Pricey? Yes. Heavy? Yes. Peace of mind? YES. Btw, my Pullrite SuperGlide 4400 sold in a day. Lots of people with shortbxes who learned the hard way.

geektoad

Reaction score
Another AUH incident to add to the pile, for those that are keeping score. This was just posted on the grand design owners group on facebook:

This was our Andersen hitch that broke. We were hit by a gust of wind on the right side driving down on bottom of a valley in KS. Our truck never lost control or even left the lane! Andersen Hitch ball just snapped and popped right off like a tin can. Never even felt it. No damage to the truck frame just got a new bed put on. It’s heartbreaking to post and look at....

auh1.jpgauh2.jpgauh3.jpgauh4.jpgauh5.jpg

Wileykid

Reaction score
Another AUH incident to add to the pile, for those that are keeping score. This was just posted on the grand design owners group on facebook:

This was our Andersen hitch that broke. We were hit by a gust of wind on the right side driving down on bottom of a valley in KS. Our truck never lost control or even left the lane! Andersen Hitch ball just snapped and popped right off like a tin can. Never even felt it. No damage to the truck frame just got a new bed put on. It’s heartbreaking to post and look at....

That is a metal issue used in the ball (bad cast?), the hitch setup looks good. I would be curious if that ball is unique to the AUH, or standard off the shelf type that is used for gooseneck setups, with maybe the hole drilled in for the retainer.

Although one would think so, is the ball the correct one for the weight. If not, after some time, this would be expected.

orlando bull

Reaction score
Ouch.

I switched to a pullrite superlite. My Andersen was great, but, the Pullrite allows me to offset 7" instead of 9" behind the gooseneck ball, which is better for my setup. I was having side rail clearance issues and having to run the funnel in the reverse position on the AUH, meaning I only had 1" of offset and brought the nose cap closer to the cab of the truck.

I have seen a couple of these issues where the ball has snapped, that is concerning. The hitch is not the problem here though for anyone who doesn't like the AUH setup. Unless the offset hitch puts undue stress on the ball, I would have to point to a manufacturing issue, not design. Not a good look for Andersen either way. I wonder if Andersen's insurance/warranty will kick in here.

Last point on this... what's the story with the chains? They have them, the truck has the adapter, but, they weren't connected? I haven't been running chains either, so, I am not judging there, but, I wonder if the fiver could have been saved if the chains were connected?

Huskerz1

Reaction score
Picked up my 2315 on Wednesday afternoon. Wife and I installed it. The hitch comes pretty much all together with the exception of the four mounts and associated hardware to the OEM pucks on the Ram. I used a TQ wrench that will adjust to 75 ft lbs, 3/4 in socket, two allen wrenches, pliers, two 10 inch cresent wrenches and some muscle. Follow the directions. EZ PZ.

Attachments

• SG1.jpg
    SG1.jpg
    564.2 KB · Views: 61
  • SG2.jpg
    SG2.jpg
    551.1 KB · Views: 64
  • SG3.jpg
    SG3.jpg
    620 KB · Views: 59
  • SG4.jpg
    SG4.jpg
    617.9 KB · Views: 59

Dr__Bob

Reaction score
Ouch.

Last point on this... what's the story with the chains? They have them, the truck has the adapter, but, they weren't connected? I haven't been running chains either, so, I am not judging there, but, I wonder if the fiver could have been saved if the chains were connected?
I was thinking the same. I saw the chains hanging off the trailer, but they looked undamaged, like they weren't connected. At least here in California, chains are required on any setup that has a ball, be it bumper pull, gooseneck or Anderson. Chains could have saved the trailer. The bed probably not.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
I see a lawsuit and recall in Anderson’s future. Guy tried to sell me on one, I couldn’t believe all the hype so I got a demco auto slide instead. No regrets.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
<SNIP>

I was thinking the same. I saw the chains hanging off the trailer, but they looked undamaged, like they weren't connected. At least here in California, chains are required on any setup that has a ball, be it bumper pull, gooseneck or Anderson. Chains could have saved the trailer. The bed probably not.

That safety chain system is a joke. Even if they were attached to the truck end, the eyebolts they provide are worthless.

This is the biggest reason I try to warn people about the AUH, particularly as being unsuitable for heavy trailers.

SNBlackForest

Reaction score
Picked up my 2315 on Wednesday afternoon. Wife and I installed it. The hitch comes pretty much all together with the exception of the four mounts and associated hardware to the OEM pucks on the Ram. I used a TQ wrench that will adjust to 75 ft lbs, 3/4 in socket, two allen wrenches, pliers, two 10 inch cresent wrenches and some muscle. Follow the directions. EZ PZ.

How is the room about your bed rails to the edge of the 5th wheel? I'm considering purchasing the same Pullrite for my 2020 Ram 3500 DRW Megacab and have been concerned that the Pullrite doesn't have any adjustability.

Huskerz1

Reaction score
How is the room about your bed rails to the edge of the 5th wheel? I'm considering purchasing the same Pullrite for my 2020 Ram 3500 DRW Megacab and have been concerned that the Pullrite doesn't have any adjustability.

I'm not sure I follow? You mean the height distance from the top of the bed rail to 5th wheel? It's at least 6 inches and I have adjustability to raise or lower the King Pin trailer hitch. Also the Pullrite hitch only allows so much side roll. I don't see how the trailer will ever contact the top of the bed rail on uneven ground.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I used the pull right slider in my 16 short bed and to boot it had ram boxes, so the bed was extra narrow and the slider still had the room to maneuver back and forth. It was a little clunky on take off but i learned to ease on it during take off. My most major negative opinion was during hitching. If you are not lined up to perfection and are 1/2 " off where the king pin doesn't line up to perfection, it would spin the head around and you would have to stop pull forward get out straighten head up and give it another go. Very sturdy and dependable hitch, and hope that you don't have to remove it cuz she is a beast 20200130_111124.jpg

Huskerz1

Reaction score
I used the pull right slider in my 16 short bed and to boot it had ram boxes, so the bed was extra narrow and the slider still had the room to maneuver back and forth. It was a little clunky on take off but i learned to ease on it during take off. My most major negative opinion was during hitching. If you are not lined up to perfection and are 1/2 " off where the king pin doesn't line up to perfection, it would spin the head around and you would have to stop pull forward get out straighten head up and give it another go. Very sturdy and dependable hitch, and hope that you don't have to remove it cuz she is a beast View attachment 7292

Yes the Pullrite SuperGlide is a beast. I can't feel safe with some of the other options.

rossagge

Reaction score
Has anyone compared the GEN Y torsion flex goose neck vs the Reese Goosebox for the 6'4" bed. I have looked at them both and like the latch better on the Goosebox as you don't have to climb into the bed to latch and unlatch. My 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie should be waiting on me when I return from Iraq in a couple of months and wanting to find the best 5th wheel hitch assembly. I have also looked at the SuperGlide and the Reese Airborne sidewinder but with those it seems that the combination of the 5th wheel and the pin box can get expensive quick.
Not sure if you already decided on one, but I had the Gen-Y Torsion Flex Fifth wheel to Gooseneck w/ Auto latch installed on my 42' Fifth Wheel. Towed amazing. No issues on my 1k mi. trip. Had it installed on a Sabre 36BHQ. Used a standard height ball. OEM kit which is a Curt ball and cleats. No chucking and clanking around back there. Everything was nice and smooth. Don't have exact measurements, but height over bed was good. Turing radius was no issues with my short bed. Never had the need to make tight turns. Came close a few times, maybe 80 deg or better I'd say. It did touch the bed as I was pulling out and backing up over a curb in the RV park. So maybe a 2" ball or taller would help. My truck was level with the standard ball and using helper bags. Hope that helps.

dune1066

Reaction score
Just another favorable vote for the Pullrite 2315 OEM puck mount slider with the Ram 3500 Dually MegaCab. We have a 2020 3500 MegaCab dually with the air suspension, and at any air-ride-height there is plenty of clearance between the bottom of our fifth wheel and the rails of the bed. , Even with our pinbox in the stock (highest) position, we are running at a smidge under 6" at the very back of the bed, but we've never even come close to hitting. Also, the trailer tows perfectly flat at this setting.

Which is something worth remembering on these hitches - you can usually RAISE the ride height by moving the pinbox down, but you can generally not make things lower than the lowest setting - we sit exactly level with the 2315 (seemingly the shortest fifth wheel hitch around) and the pinbox all the way "up". If we had gone with a taller hitch, such as the pullrite with OEM rails - which I was tempted to do from the few negative stories of limited clearance on the 2315 - then our trailer would be running around nose-up and we would be flirting with being overheight (we are at 13'4" now).

So, one solid yes vote for the 2315 OEM on a Dodge MegaCab 3500 dually - it worked perfectly! No clearance issues.

Huskerz1

Reaction score
Just another favorable vote for the Pullrite 2315 OEM puck mount slider with the Ram 3500 Dually MegaCab. We have a 2020 3500 MegaCab dually with the air suspension, and at any air-ride-height there is plenty of clearance between the bottom of our fifth wheel and the rails of the bed. , Even with our pinbox in the stock (highest) position, we are running at a smidge under 6" at the very back of the bed, but we've never even come close to hitting. Also, the trailer tows perfectly flat at this setting.

Which is something worth remembering on these hitches - you can usually RAISE the ride height by moving the pinbox down, but you can generally not make things lower than the lowest setting - we sit exactly level with the 2315 (seemingly the shortest fifth wheel hitch around) and the pinbox all the way "up". If we had gone with a taller hitch, such as the pullrite with OEM rails - which I was tempted to do from the few negative stories of limited clearance on the 2315 - then our trailer would be running around nose-up and we would be flirting with being overheight (we are at 13'4" now).

So, one solid yes vote for the 2315 OEM on a Dodge MegaCab 3500 dually - it worked perfectly! No clearance issues.

Very nice to hear. I have the same setup with Air Ride Suspension too. Pullrite knows what they're doing. No problem with a soft roll up toneau cover with rails mounted on top of the bed to keep my 2315 out of the elements. Plenty of clearance. I didn't want a toneau cover with rails that invaded into the sides of the bed space. About the only downside to the 2315 is it's weight. It is a beast but the peace of mind with regard to cab clearance out weighs it.

Attachments

• Clear3.jpg
    Clear3.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Clear4.jpg
    Clear4.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
Where is Husker from? I’m from Lexington and Kearney.

2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn Megacab
2019 OpenRange 3X427BHS
2020 Jayco NorthPoint 382FL

Huskerz1

Reaction score
Where is Husker from? I’m from Lexington and Kearney.

2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn Megacab
2019 OpenRange 3X427BHS
2020 Jayco NorthPoint 382FL
Short answer, Lincoln.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread