Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Wheel/Gooseneck Prep Package

Tater86

Reaction score
I did a search and have been asking dealers what exactly this package comes with on the vehicle and I keep getting different answers. So what exactly does it come with? :)

Hitch, Hole's pre-drilled, wiring, plug-ups, etc?

Thanks

downsc123

Reaction score
You get the 4 pre drilled holes for a 5th wheel hitch to drop into, the single center hole for a gooseneck hitch and the 4 and 7 pin plugs on the side bed wall to plug your trailer into. No hitch in that package. You can get a 20k non-slider 5th wheel hitch as another option if you want.

Last edited:

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Ordered mine with 5er-gooseneck prep package and it came without. Didn't notice when picking up my truck, ordered with toneu cover so didn't look under. Went back to see the dealer and installing this package after a fact was too complicated through RAM. Got it all installed by an independent hitch shop and got reimbursed by my dealer. As a bonus the aftermarket gooseneck (gooseneck and 5er are separate packages even through RAM) came with a ball and drop in chain anchors.

Tater86

Reaction score
Ordered mine with 5er-gooseneck prep package and it came without. Didn't notice when picking up my truck, ordered with toneu cover so didn't look under. Went back to see the dealer and installing this package after a fact was too complicated through RAM. Got it all installed by an independent hitch shop and got reimbursed by my dealer. As a bonus the aftermarket gooseneck (gooseneck and 5er are separate packages even through RAM) came with a ball and drop in chain anchors.
So do you think it would be better to go with an aftermarket group to get the install down. I only want the gooseneck option, I don't plan on any 5th wheels at this time.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Check with some hitch shops in your area, just a GN will be cheaper than the 5er with GN because they're 2 separate packages, aftermarket will likely come with a ball and anchors too. If it saves you money vs going with factory option then go for it.
There's no visual differences, my aftermarket installed looks just like the factory installed.

Sponge60

Reaction score
Get the prep package. You'll get the proper wiring, dimensions and specs for the pre-installed bed pucks. Mine did not come with the gooseneck ball. Do a little search and make sure you get the right height ball.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
How is my wiring improper?? I've got a functional trailer plug in the box plus a functional plug near the rear license plate?
Also 've got the bed plugs and everything else, no different than the factory install

Sponge60

Reaction score
How is my wiring improper?? I've got a functional trailer plug in the box plus a functional plug near the rear license plate?
Also 've got the bed plugs and everything else, no different than the factory install
The reply wasn't to you.

Thisnthat

Reaction score
if only wanting a gooseneck - cost of the OEM prep package and then buying a gooseneck ball (either OEM or aftermarket) should be fairly close to having an aftermarket setup installed that comes with the gooseneck hitch.

I'm personally not a fan of the puck system as I only pull gooseneck trailers and the other four holes would have simply been just that for me, holes in the bed.
When I ordered (and guessing today it's the same) trucks were being delayed due to the prep package having to be installed after the truck was built...factory bed liner and steps would have a similar impact I believe....

Prep package is $550 and Ram or aftermarket gooseneck ball is going to be $200-300...I had a B&W installed for $850...$900-ish was a pretty common quote as I shopped around a little on the installation Some shops will have the bed plug added into their price and others will have it separated out...An advantage of the B&W hitch is it can be turned over and stored in place (vs a case/bag/etc) when you need the bed to be flat

I thought about the prep package and had looked into using the B&W puck ball since I think it's the only one that can be "tied off" to keep the ball from spinning, but it's also slightly raised off the bed so that was a no for me

and if I ever migrate into the 5th wheel rv hitch world, B&W makes a hitch that can be used in their single hole setup

prep package would be simpler if you don't have someone local that installs aftermarket hitches affordably

Tater86

Reaction score
So are you all saying I would still have to buy the hitch assembly that gets mounted under the bed as well correct? Not just the ball and/or chain anchors themselves?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
You get the 4 pre drilled holes for a 5th wheel hitch to drop into, the single center hole for a gooseneck hitch and the 4 and 7 pin plugs on the side bed wall to plug your trailer into. No hitch in that package. You can get a 20k non-slider 5th wheel hitch as another option if you want.

If the truck has 360° camera or you have any trailer camera wiring options, the 4-pin will not be there and it will be the 12-pin trailer camera plug.

The 20K hitch is a Curt Q-series (based on pics I've seen). I'd take a pass on that one and get either a B&W companion, or the Curt A25 (I have an A25 and love it.)

The DRW max tow comes with a Curt A30. I've not seven seen that available from curt so I suspect it's just the A25 "uprated." somehow.

downsc123

Reaction score
If the truck has 360° camera or you have any trailer camera wiring options, the 4-pin will not be there and it will be the 12-pin trailer camera plug.

The 20K hitch is a Curt Q-series (based on pics I've seen). I'd take a pass on that one and get either a B&W companion, or the Curt A25 (I have an A25 and love it.)

The DRW max tow comes with a Curt A30. I've not seven seen that available from curt so I suspect it's just the A25 "uprated." somehow.
Ah yes, you are correct, its the 12 pin camera plug vice the 4 pin trailer connector. You also get the 115V bed outlet as well

Attachments

• 20220921_171609.jpg
    20220921_171609.jpg
    791.5 KB · Views: 21

Thisnthat

Reaction score
I think the 115V bed outlet is pretty much standard on all trucks now since 21?

option on our 2021 tradesman 2500 and option on our 2022 bighorn dually...it's labeled as the front power outlet but it includes both the interior and exterior outlet

Thisnthat

Reaction score
So are you all saying I would still have to buy the hitch assembly that gets mounted under the bed as well correct? Not just the ball and/or chain anchors themselves?

if you get the 5th wheel prep package installed at the "factory" (the $545 option)- you'll have to buy the hitch separately that you'll need as the truck will only include the pucks that the hitch will be using along with the bed plugs for the trailer. You can also include in your order one of the 5th wheel hitches but as others have stated, there are better options out there...

if you have an aftermarket hitch installed - i'm fairly certain that most come with a gooseneck ball along with the under the bed/frame mounting kit...the bed plugs are usually separate wiring that aren't included in the aftermarket "kit"...it's usually just a plug that the shop installs on their own either as a standalone option or bundled with the aftermarket kit

Users who are viewing this thread