Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th wheel and Tonneau cover

eastTOwest

Reaction score
My 22 3500 srw, short bed does it exist and hopefully will be getting it shipped to me soon. Now to start figuring how I am going to set up the new cummins.

What's everyones set up for short bed hd's for 5th wheels and hard tonneau covers?

I need to have a hard cover, thats lockable to protect against theft and the elements for tools.

At the same time I'll also need a hitch that will clear the tonneau cover and to handle a 5th wheel camper (40 foot plus or minus). Camper will be towed 1-8 times a year, sometimes coast to coast. Some campground sites and roads are less than level for rigs for entry, which is a concern for me with 5th towing and covers like retrax. I do really like how their covers are built, but am open to other options and set ups.

HORam

Reaction score
I run a Peragon cover and really like it. Demco Autoslide for hitch

Rhino rack for extra storage and bike racks. Can move it to the roof in about 3 min when I tow the 5er but have to have another set of tall hands.
3a7967b3f4a73a969d608568ef8bae11.jpg
e43d8aee2e22890162c8d303c284a723.jpg
fae3ed4f0249c6f79d4d7b66c4a4a4d4.jpg

Sent from my SM-F926U using Tapatalk

CharlieL

Reaction score
My 2500 is a short bed. Just received a PullRite 2315 for OEM pucks. Right now it's sitting in the back of my truck & I intend to fully assemble/install it this weekend. Have a Retrax cover. No problem with clearance.

Attachments

• IMG_4250.jpg
    IMG_4250.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_4251.jpg
    IMG_4251.jpg
    840.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 2500 - Retrax.jpg
    2500 - Retrax.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 90

eastTOwest

Reaction score
My 2500 is a short bed. Just received a PullRite 2315 for OEM pucks. Right now it's sitting in the back of my truck & I intend to fully assemble/install it this weekend. Have a Retrax cover. No problem with clearance.
That is a sharp looking set up with the delmonico, night edition and retrax

eastTOwest

Reaction score
I run a Peragon cover and really like it. Demco Autoslide for hitch

Rhino rack for extra storage and bike racks. Can move it to the roof in about 3 min when I tow the 5er but have to have another set of tall hands.
3a7967b3f4a73a969d608568ef8bae11.jpg
e43d8aee2e22890162c8d303c284a723.jpg
fae3ed4f0249c6f79d4d7b66c4a4a4d4.jpg

Sent from my SM-F926U using Tapatalk
how well does that gloss finish stand up to regular use?

eastTOwest

Reaction score
any pics of the set up complete? Any thoughts after running it for a bit?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
If you have the camper on level ground you should have at least 6-7” of clearance all around the top of the box rails if so you should bever have an issue with a tonneau cover folded up…. I know this is a poor example but my 6.5ft box cover folded up also works perfect with my 5th wheel camper too even the extra height of a hard cover would be no issue on the logging roads and bush roads i do

Attachments

• 3512C838-7B1C-43BC-8ECB-AB9DC120F823.jpeg
    3512C838-7B1C-43BC-8ECB-AB9DC120F823.jpeg
    616.1 KB · Views: 33

Drumminguy81

Reaction score
worth noting on some covers with side rails- retrax, peragon, roll-n-lock, etc. you may run into issues with the rear of the pin box contacting the side rail in very tight turns. there are a lot of factors involved and every setup is different. personally I am running a retrax on my drw mega, I have a reese goosebox pinbox the rear of the pinbox will contact my side rail in very tight turns.. I have to watch it pretty closely when turning close to 90*. I have read some people with the same setup that have no issues. I am still messing around with the adjustment of the retrax rails and pinbox to eliminate this but no luck yet.

CharlieL

Reaction score
any pics of the set up complete? Any thoughts after running it for a bit?
Hello eastTOwest. Thanks for the question. Yes, attached are some pics of my setup. The hitch clears the closed Retrax cover by about 2 inches. There is plenty of clearance with the 5th wheel connected. I didn't have a tape measure with, so used a cup for reference!

The hitch is superb. Works just like it's supposed to, We've taken three trips, first to pick up from dealer, second round trip from ABQ to Portland, and recently a round trip from ABQ to Rapid City, SD. Total mileage so far is right about 6,000 miles towing. The most finicky aspect I can describe is hooking up and unhitching. The cargo camera works great for seeing what's going on. (the image quality sure seems worse than when I first got my 2500, but that's for another thread). I have to be straight on when hitching up, which hasn't been a problem. Unhitching if I'm not perfectly straight that can be problematic. The SuperGlide manual says within 10 degrees, but it seems to me that if I'm not within 2-3 degrees it doesn't release. On my trip home, on the first time I tried to disconnect, the hitch would not release. That's probably because neither the hitch nor kingpin were lubricated. Once I did that, works smoothly. If there is a problem in unhitching, there is an alternate method that works like a charm. Take out the two pins holding down the plate & lift out with the trailer. (I can also lower the truck cuz it has air suspension).

Overall, I have a very favorable impression of the hitch. This is my first 5th wheel & I don't have anything to compare it to, but I give the hitch very high marks &/or recommendation.

Attachments

• 031.JPG
    031.JPG
    405.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 5th wheel clearance.JPG
    5th wheel clearance.JPG
    402.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Camper Clearance.JPG
    Camper Clearance.JPG
    317.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 2500 Hitch.JPG
    2500 Hitch.JPG
    631.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 2500 - Retrax.jpg
    2500 - Retrax.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 60
  • 126.JPG
    126.JPG
    410.4 KB · Views: 58

rudyyoko

Reaction score
Hello eastTOwest. Thanks for the question. Yes, attached are some pics of my setup. The hitch clears the closed Retrax cover by about 2 inches. There is plenty of clearance with the 5th wheel connected. I didn't have a tape measure with, so used a cup for reference!

The hitch is superb. Works just like it's supposed to, We've taken three trips, first to pick up from dealer, second round trip from ABQ to Portland, and recently a round trip from ABQ to Rapid City, SD. Total mileage so far is right about 6,000 miles towing. The most finicky aspect I can describe is hooking up and unhitching. The cargo camera works great for seeing what's going on. (the image quality sure seems worse than when I first got my 2500, but that's for another thread). I have to be straight on when hitching up, which hasn't been a problem. Unhitching if I'm not perfectly straight that can be problematic. The SuperGlide manual says within 10 degrees, but it seems to me that if I'm not within 2-3 degrees it doesn't release. On my trip home, on the first time I tried to disconnect, the hitch would not release. That's probably because neither the hitch nor kingpin were lubricated. Once I did that, works smoothly. If there is a problem in unhitching, there is an alternate method that works like a charm. Take out the two pins holding down the plate & lift out with the trailer. (I can also lower the truck cuz it has air suspension).

Overall, I have a very favorable impression of the hitch. This is my first 5th wheel & I don't have anything to compare it to, but I give the hitch very high marks &/or recommendation.
Nice set up. I'll be picking up my 2023 D290RLT. Max weight on the 5th wheel is 10500k. Pin weight empty is around 1450 if I remember correctly. My 2022 crew cab 4x4 2500 has a 2200 payload. I'm going to have to be very careful to keep it under payload limit. I figure if I am careful with the water tanks and stuff we take for a weekend, or week here and there we should be fine. What gear set up do you have? Mine is 3.73. Curious how it will tow the 5th. I also have air rear suspension/load leveling.

CharlieL

Reaction score
Nice set up. I'll be picking up my 2023 D290RLT. Max weight on the 5th wheel is 10500k. Pin weight empty is around 1450 if I remember correctly. My 2022 crew cab 4x4 2500 has a 2200 payload. I'm going to have to be very careful to keep it under payload limit. I figure if I am careful with the water tanks and stuff we take for a weekend, or week here and there we should be fine. What gear set up do you have? Mine is 3.73. Curious how it will tow the 5th. I also have air rear suspension/load leveling.
Thanks for saying so. My 2500 has the 3.73; tows the D250RED without problem. Hardly downshifts. The advertised pin weight for my unit was 1,500. As built is 1,750. I know I am over sticker payload when loaded for travel; did two CAT scale weighs. One just truck with hitch, wife, etc. Second with 5th wheel hitched up while traveling, with probably half tank of water. I rely on GAWR, and believe my setup is fine. Enjoy your KZ!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You have nothing to worry about, it will drag that trailer around like nothing

Users who are viewing this thread