Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5500 Limited built without 12” screen and several other items that were ordered.

Poker

Reaction score
Anyone aware of current shortages of 12” screens, and other features? I ordered a 5500 limited, and it was just built, but without the limited package, and with an 8 inch screen. No Harmon kardon, digital mirror, adaptive cruise, emergency braking, adaptive steering, surround view, etc. All of this was on my order that was accepted three and a half months ago. It is basically an SLT with really nice leather seats. Ram didn’t notify me of anything, just built it without those features. It was ordered the first of October. As of yesterday, the limited package was not on the ram build page for the 4500 or the 5500. However, it was on the dealers computer, and would still allow the dealer to choose it.

My window sticker became available, but without the limited package, and the price reduced by $4,500.

I would like to have those features, if I can get them, but I have no idea if they will become available again or not. As of now the dealer hasn’t been able to find out anything.

Has anyone else had issues getting a 12 inch screen or these other features?

Last edited:

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I've seen mentioned in other places where trucks are being built with 'missing' items which were ordered.
Most folks have simply cancelled the order and found a model on a lot somewhere that had what they (mostly) wanted.... there is no guarantee that they will be able to built it as ordered given the issues with obtaining parts.

gprguy

Reaction score
@RamCares any light you can shed on what's going on with the chassis cabs and limited packages? Modifying someone's order without telling them is far worse then Level 1 being replaced by Level A..

Poker

Reaction score
I've seen mentioned in other places where trucks are being built with 'missing' items which were ordered.
Most folks have simply cancelled the order and found a model on a lot somewhere that had what they (mostly) wanted.... there is no guarantee that they will be able to built it as ordered given the issues with obtaining parts.
Trouble is that 5500’s are very hard if not impossible to find. The build has all of the mechanical options for max tow, dual fuel tanks, 4x4, etc. It is missing all of the high tech items. Finding another one would be next to impossible.

gprguy

Reaction score
@Poker Before Ram deleted all of that stuff, was your order put in with the A69 Level 1 package or the A79 Level A? I'm thinking given how early you were able to order it that it was A69..?

Poker

Reaction score
@Poker Before Ram deleted all of that stuff, was your order put in with the A69 Level 1 package or the A79 Level A? I'm thinking given how early you were able to order it that it was A69..?
I don’t know. What is the difference between A69 and A79?

gprguy

Reaction score
A69 is the normal Level 1 package, which if you say you had surround cameras and the digital mirror I presume you ordered that - it should be on your order sheet.

Apparently there is some quality issue with the surround cameras and the new mirrors that is chassis cab specific, so back in October they stopped offering A69 Level 1 and instead offered A79 Level A which is most of the previous package, but deleted the surround cameras and digital rear view mirror. But it still had the 12" screen, the harmon karden speakers, etc.

I am curious if your order had A69, and instead of replacing it with A79 they just removed it entirely.. Which isn't reasonable at all IMHO.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you certain that your dealership put the correct order in?

Poker

Reaction score
It was a69, and the dealer did order correctly, I have all of the documentation. Besides the features, it is interesting on the 12 inch screen. That is standard on a limited, and they replaced it with the 8.4. I don’t think you can even get an 8.4 on any other limited.

Poker

Reaction score
Also, I am not sure a79 is even an option any more.

gprguy

Reaction score
Got it. So they did just yank A69 instead of replacing it with A79 like they should have. That's BS..

A69 was initially orderable for a few days on the limited chassis cabs, and then replaced by A79 due to whatever the mirror issue is. I almost put in an A69 order myself, but by the time I got back to it A79 had replaced it, and then I dinked around until the end of December before I decided I wasn't going to wait any longer for A69 to come back and just ordered with A79.

Believe it or not, on the 2023's the 8.4" screen with NAV is standard with Limited, the only way to get the 12" is to get A69 on the regular trucks or now A79 on the chassis cabs. It's very odd, and I think there will be plenty of people ordering 2023 limiteds and not realizing what screen they are getting. I'll attach the order guides if it's helpful - they are a bit out of date at this point. I'll attach what's in A79 (level A) as well in case it helps you at all or if you decide to re-order.

Attachments

• 2023 5500 code guides 9-20.pdf
    575.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 3500 Code Guide.pdf
    654.8 KB · Views: 4
  • level a.PNG
    level a.PNG
    39.1 KB · Views: 11

gprguy

Reaction score
A79 has never been in a code guide that I have seen, it's not on the build and price, you'd have to check with your dealer. I was able to order one the end of December.

Poker

Reaction score
Got it. So they did just yank A69 instead of replacing it with A79 like they should have. That's BS..

A69 was initially orderable for a few days on the limited chassis cabs, and then replaced by A79 due to whatever the mirror issue is. I almost put in an A69 order myself, but by the time I got back to it A79 had replaced it, and then I dinked around until the end of December before I decided I wasn't going to wait any longer for A69 to come back and just ordered with A79.

Believe it or not, on the 2023's the 8.4" screen with NAV is standard with Limited, the only way to get the 12" is to get A69 on the regular trucks or now A79 on the chassis cabs. It's very odd, and I think there will be plenty of people ordering 2023 limiteds and not realizing what screen they are getting. I'll attach the order guides if it's helpful - they are a bit out of date at this point. I'll attach what's in A79 (level A) as well in case it helps you at all or if you decide to re-order.
Can you post a list of what is included with A79? I actually put my order in Sep 30, the first day I was able to do so.

gprguy

Reaction score
Can you post a list of what is included with A79? I actually put my order in Sep 30, the first day I was able to do so.
It's the "level a.PNG" attachment, the third one on the email above.

Yep I had the same chance, almost did but had a different argument with the dealer.. By the time I was ready to order just a few days later A69 was gone, A79 was in it's place and I waited till late December before I caved.

Ram in general switches from numeric packages (Level 1 aka A69) to letters (Level A aka A79) when they delete stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread