Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

52 gal Titan fuel tank

St.Pete Ron

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 diesel and I am thinking about changing the fuel tank out. I was told I might need the Alpha OBD when I do this to change settings for the tank. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

Don-T

Reaction score
My understanding is AlphaOBD can be used to update the size of the tank so the miles to empty will be close. I don’t think you need to change the tank size for the gauge to work. I will find out in about a week as I am having my tank changed then I will reset the tank size in AlphaPBD to see what happens.

naplesbill

Reaction score
My understanding is AlphaOBD can be used to update the size of the tank so the miles to empty will be close. I don’t think you need to change the tank size for the gauge to work. I will find out in about a week as I am having my tank changed then I will reset the tank size in AlphaPBD to see what happens.

From what I have read, the aftermarket tanks use the same empty position so the gauge will work to empty. It will just take longer to go down and miles to empty will be off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffn

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 diesel and I am thinking about changing the fuel tank out. I was told I might need the Alpha OBD when I do this to change settings for the tank. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks
yeah, distance to empty (DTE) will be off but the fuel gauge reads correctly. The fuel gauge is a potentiometer, it reads from the lift pump and the tanks are pretty close to the same in depth. I haven’t done alfaodb on my truck yet but have no issues with the larger tank. Best upgrade I made, especially for towing. What is interesting to note is that the factory gauge reads “low fuel“ with - on my truck - still about 6-8 gallons in the tank. I have a megacab so 31 gallon factory tank, that is a lot of fuel remaining. I replaced the lift pump with a Fleece unit at the same time I did the tank replacement and even with a different fuel pump and sensor the in-dash gauge reads low fuel with about 6-8 gallons remaining with the larger tank.

When I am traveling I use the trip meter instead of DTE to manage fuel stops. Like I wrote, I would like to update it but it is not a priority at the moment.

Will_T

Reaction score
At 7 miles on the odometer I had the 52 gallon titan tank installed as I could not see how a 31 gallon tank would work towing our TT in the wide open spaces of Oregon, Nevada, Utah, etc. where we do all our camping. 3,000+ miles now and so far so good. Works like this as others have suggested: When filled the gauge sits at full for a couple hundred miles. Then it goes down as it normally would with the OEM tank. I don't know about the distance to empty as I have never used that feature. I do know that the truck correctly calculates mpg though.

I had it installed at Cutting Edge Customs in Post Falls, Idaho. There was only one thing I had to have them adjust after they completed installation. When empty, the tank cleared all underbody parts fine. Once filled, it expanded a bit and was touching the rear fuel filter. They thought it would be fine, but I was concerned about vibration wearing the plastic especially on washboard roads. I also did not want any issues when I have to have the fuel filter changed. So I had them loosen the fuel filter bolts and there was enough play to move the fuel filter over about 1/4 - 1/2" so there is no longer contact when the tank is full. I have not had my first oil/fuel filter change done yet so I don't know if the dealer will complain about the tight clearance. Looking at the design of the fuel filter I don't see that only having less than 1/2 inch of clearance to the tank will be any issue at all. I hope I am right.

I would talk to Titan about your specific truck. If you have the crew cab short bed like mine it will be tight, but will fit. If you have the long bed, it should be even easier to install. One thing different about the Titan tank is that it does not have a heat shield on the side like the OEM tank does. On my truck, the installers did not think that mattered as there is lots of distance from the exhaust system to the side of the tank. The drive shaft is even in between the two. Once, after a regen when the EGT 3 sensor had shown temps over 1,000 degrees, I stopped the truck and crawled underneath to check this out. The fuel tank was ambient like to the touch. It did not appear that the high temps of the regen had any impact at all on the tank. Not sure why there is a heat shield on the OEM tank other than maybe the same tank is used on different models of truck and other trucks have less distance between the exhaust and the tank side.

I have a 3500 so did not have to think about payload. But since you have a 2500, you may want to consider how another 21 gallons, (approx. 150 lbs.) of diesel will impact payload. Probably not enough to be a concern though.

By the way.. The installer and Titan told me that on the new Rams there was no way to use a program to update the tank size. I don't know if that is correct as it works fine for me as is, just like @jeffn described.

Last edited:

Oneday997

Reaction score
At 7 miles on the odometer I had the 52 gallon titan tank installed as I could not see how a 31 gallon tank would work towing our TT in the wide open spaces of Oregon, Nevada, Utah, etc. where we do all our camping. 3,000+ miles now and so far so good. Works like this as others have suggested: When filled the gauge sits at full for a couple hundred miles. Then it goes down as it normally would with the OEM tank. I don't know about the distance to empty as I have never used that feature. I do know that the truck correctly calculates mpg though.

I had it installed at Cutting Edge Customs in Post Falls, Idaho. There was only one thing I had to have them adjust after they completed installation. When empty, the tank cleared all underbody parts fine. Once filled, it expanded a bit and was touching the rear fuel filter. They thought it would be fine, but I was concerned about vibration wearing the plastic especially on washboard roads. I also did not want any issues when I have to have the fuel filter changed. So I had them loosen the fuel filter bolts and there was enough play to move the fuel filter over about 1/4 - 1/2" so there is no longer contact when the tank is full. I have not had my first oil/fuel filter change done yet so I don't know if the dealer will complain about the tight clearance. Looking at the design of the fuel filter I don't see that only having less than 1/2 inch of clearance to the tank will be any issue at all. I hope I am right.

I would talk to Titan about your specific truck. If you have the crew cab short bed like mine it will be tight, but will fit. If you have the long bed, it should be even easier to install. One thing different about the Titan tank is that it does not have a heat shield on the side like the OEM tank does. On my truck, the installers did not think that mattered as there is lots of distance from the exhaust system to the side of the tank. The drive shaft is even in between the two. Once, after a regen when the EGT 3 sensor had shown temps over 1,000 degrees, I stopped the truck and crawled underneath to check this out. The fuel tank was ambient like to the touch. It did not appear that the high temps of the regen had any impact at all on the tank. Not sure why there is a heat shield on the OEM tank other than maybe the same tank is used on different models of truck and other trucks have less distance between the exhaust and the tank side.

I have a 3500 so did not have to think about payload. But since you have a 2500, you may want to consider how another 21 gallons, (approx. 150 lbs.) of diesel will impact payload. Probably not enough to be a concern though.

By the way.. The installer and Titan told me that on the new Rams there was no way to use a program to update the tank size. I don't know if that is correct as it works fine for me as is, just like @jeffn described.

Very helpful - thanks! I have a 3500 Mega Cab DRW on order and like you, will be spending most of my towing time in the wide open expanses of the west (some of the most desolate roads I've ever been on have been in Nevada and eastern Oregon). I was curious about the Titan tank, no I'm sold. This will be the first thing done to the truck as soon as it is delivered.

naplesbill

Reaction score
Very helpful - thanks! I have a 3500 Mega Cab DRW on order and like you, will be spending most of my towing time in the wide open expanses of the west (some of the most desolate roads I've ever been on have been in Nevada and eastern Oregon). I was curious about the Titan tank, no I'm sold. This will be the first thing done to the truck as soon as it is delivered.

I will be getting this one sometime next year:

Will_T

Reaction score
I looked at the S&B also. In the end my decision was to go with the Titan because they were close by in Idaho where I bought the truck. I had reached the conclusion that either of them were great. I really liked the customer support person I asked some questions of at S&B but it was a bit harder finding an installer in the PNW for S&B than for Titan. The Titan installer I used was about 1 mile from the dealer I purchased the truck from so very convenient. I expect you will be happy with the S&B also.

naplesbill

Reaction score
I looked at the S&B also. In the end my decision was to go with the Titan because they were close by in Idaho where I bought the truck. I had reached the conclusion that either of them were great. I really liked the customer support person I asked some questions of at S&B but it was a bit harder finding an installer in the PNW for S&B than for Titan. The Titan installer I used was about 1 mile from the dealer I purchased the truck from so very convenient. I expect you will be happy with the S&B also.

I plan on installing myself. The main reason I want the S&B is it is 60 gals. I don’t have any interest in off-roading my 3500 DRW so the little bit it will sit lower is of no consequence to me.

Will_T

Reaction score
I plan on installing myself. The main reason I want the S&B is it is 60 gals. I don’t have any interest in off-roading my 3500 DRW so the little bit it will sit lower is of no consequence to me.

Yes, the Titan for the long bed is 5 gallons less at 55g. I was not comfortable doing the install myself but I am envious of those of you with the experience and confidence to take on these sorts of projects. I can do anything on an RV, or a house, roof to foundation. So I am competent, but have no experience with motor vehicles. I did have success with wiring the new truck using the Aux switches, but man did I ever have to depend on help from this site to get going on that. Now, however, I could do it in a flash. I am sure I could do the simpler things like oil and fuel filter changes. But even with those I would probably want to do it with someone experienced the first time to have the confidence to do it myself going forward. Unfortunately, any of my local friends are less experienced than me. I have a few friends that would be a great help if they were nearby. But unfortunately then are all hundreds if not a couple thousand miles away. Why is that the friends who would be the best neighbors in the world always seen to live far, far away? :(

Bandit400

Reaction score
From what I have read, the aftermarket tanks use the same empty position so the gauge will work to empty. It will just take longer to go down and miles to empty will be off.

Yes you can update the tank size setting, you update the setting in the BCM (body control module) to update the tank size to approx 52 gallons. The setting is in liters so the max it will take is 194 liters even though it says the max setting is higher. Don’t set it higher than 194 liters. If you do, the fuel gauge will read empty and not work properly. The setting is in the BCM under “Vehicle Config 3” then in setting “Fuel Capacity”.
It’s a 5 min change with Alpha or Autoenginuity software. I did it with the AutoEnginuity software since I already owned it. I made the setting change post install of a Titan 55 gallon tank on my 3500 Long Bed. The distance to empty calculation will update after the setting change.

One crucial tip if you do install a Titan tank, make sure the installer reads the instructions on how to properly torque down the sending unit tank O ring. It’s a multi step process that needs to be followed or you will very likely have fuel leak out when you fully fill the tank. Ask me how I know :(

2FEE1F82-8A65-4E19-BA88-ED64C02592BF.jpeg

DTE before change:
2F8C4DDC-975E-4B37-8319-E26F3F3E03A1.jpeg

DTE right after setting change:
CAA61261-38C0-4156-9A98-34395B5ED529.jpeg

Last edited:

cruzzer

Reaction score
I am new to this, so please forgive the naive question: What kind of hardward/software do I buy to be able to make these changes, i.e., the "BCM", etc.?

Firebird

Reaction score
I hate the 31 gallon tank, and why in the hail did Ram ever put such a small tank in a 1 ton dually long bed? Just stupid. I definitely need to upgrade

Users who are viewing this thread