Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

52 Gal fuel tanks Titan or S&B likes/dislikes of both units

JustARam22

Reaction score
I got my S&B 52 gallon talk on Thursday. Hope to do it sometime in the next couple days. Anyone know how to drain the tank almost to empty with out driving it? I'd like to pump it almost dry before removing it.
Just did mine today..... Honestly anything below a 1/4 tank isn't really that heavy.

After dropping mine I just emptied it into a 5 gallon bucket, then added it to the new tank. Did this a little over 2 times.

Reactions: AFF

jeffn

Reaction score
I went with a Fleece lift pump when I installed my Titan. Worked great, until it didn’t, put maybe 50k miles on it. I pulled the Fleece unit out and installed a new OEM unit. Fleece has a warranty but you have to send the unit back to them. I wasn’t going to wait around for a few weeks while they bench tested the fuel pump. So now I run a stock fuel pump with a Titan tank. I do not notice a difference.

Steevo

Reaction score
After several trips with my Titan 52 gal. tank, I can say I am happy with it. Just got back from a trip to Calif from my home in Idaho, and it sure is sweet to never have to think about a fuel stop and only stop when and where you want to.

I do have some feedback for anyone using the Titan 52 gal tank with the stock sending unit.
1. Due to the sender being mounted so low, and there being so much fuel above the top of the float travel, it will go over 300 miles before the gauge ever moves off of full. This also means that all of the "Range XXXX" readings are pretty questionable during this time (see pic). This was at an average of about 20mpg, so the first fifteen gallons are gone when the gauge drops to the F mark, so the remaining 37 gallons are now what sits between F and E on the gauge. So, when you hit the half tank mark, you have about 18 gallons left, not half of 52, so be aware.

2. When the fuel level drops below the 1/4 tank mark, the Range drops about 2 miles for every one mile travelled (running 80mph at 20mpg avg). If you believe it when the "Range" tells you that you have 400 miles of fuel at 1/4 tank, you could find yourself running out if there isn't a fuel station closer to 200 miles down the road.

Despite the need to compensate for the fuel level/range discrepancies, it sure is fine to be able to drive over 12 hours without a fuel stop (with no load).

I am looking forward to hauling the 5th wheel and not needing to find fuel between overnights, since we usually only go 300-400 miles a day when towing.

Attachments

• IMG_0121.jpg
    IMG_0121.jpg
    454.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

AFF

Reaction score
Just did mine today..... Honestly anything below a 1/4 tank isn't really that heavy.

After dropping mine I just emptied it into a 5 gallon bucket, then added it to the new tank. Did this a little over 2 times.

I did mine yesterday. Took 4 hours in the driveway and I had ran it down to empty. There was 10 liters left in the tank (2.5 gallons) However when I went to fill up I discovered a fuel leak on the inlet hose. I guess I put the hose clamp on a bit crooked or not in the right spot. Removed the drive shaft again and tried fixing it but it didn't help. So a buddy with a hoist is going to fix it for me today.
Oh and should I mention it was a costly day. I forgot to block my tires when I took the drive shaft off the first time. Truck rolled, dented my tailgate that was down, hit my camper (no damage) and drove over my iPhone 14 Pro max I just bought last Tuesday.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh and should I mention it was a costly day. I forgot to block my tires when I took the drive shaft off the first time. Truck rolled, dented my tailgate that was down, hit my camper (no damage) and drove over my iPhone 14 Pro max I just bought last Tuesday.

Yikes.

Another good reason to always use the parking brake. At least you didn’t get run over.

jeffn

Reaction score
After several trips with my Titan 52 gal. tank, I can say I am happy with it. Just got back from a trip to Calif from my home in Idaho, and it sure is sweet to never have to think about a fuel stop and only stop when and where you want to.

I do have some feedback for anyone using the Titan 52 gal tank with the stock sending unit.
1. Due to the sender being mounted so low, and there being so much fuel above the top of the float travel, it will go over 300 miles before the gauge ever moves off of full. This also means that all of the "Range XXXX" readings are pretty questionable during this time (see pic). This was at an average of about 20mpg, so the first fifteen gallons are gone when the gauge drops to the F mark, so the remaining 37 gallons are now what sits between F and E on the gauge. So, when you hit the half tank mark, you have about 18 gallons left, not half of 52, so be aware.

2. When the fuel level drops below the 1/4 tank mark, the Range drops about 2 miles for every one mile travelled (running 80mph at 20mpg avg). If you believe it when the "Range" tells you that you have 400 miles of fuel at 1/4 tank, you could find yourself running out if there isn't a fuel station closer to 200 miles down the road.

Despite the need to compensate for the fuel level/range discrepancies, it sure is fine to be able to drive over 12 hours without a fuel stop (with no load).

I am looking forward to hauling the 5th wheel and not needing to find fuel between overnights, since we usually only go 300-400 miles a day when towing.
Agree on #1.

I have a different behavior on #2. In my 2020 3500 the DTE does not start decrementing until the fuel gauge moves off full. So, in my case, the DTE stays pegged at 350-400 (my MPG is 10-13, typically) and winds down when the fuel gauge starts moving. I will never be 400 miles of range with 1/4 tank. When the gauge is moving, the DTE is reasonably accurate.

I have AlphaOBD but have not bothered to recalibrate my computer. I use the trip computer to manage range, I reset on fillup and know I will get around 570 miles from a full tank. 70k miles, it has never been a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread