Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

52 Gal fuel tanks Titan or S&B likes/dislikes of both units

g00fy

Reaction score
To anyone on the fence about dropping the money on one of these tanks, regardless if you go S&B or Titan, the extra 20 or so gallons you pick up over stock is well worth it.

I was concerned I would have buyers remorse, but after just our first drive down to Florida with our travel trailer, there wasn't a doubt in my mind, it was money well spent. 52 gallons is just right for a full day of easy cruising with the trailer.

Even my wife admitted it was worth it not having to stress about making fuel stops 2 or 3 times a day. We could drive pretty much as long as we wanted or as long as our 9 month old would allow us to drive. And when we did stop, we stopped wherever was most convenient vs stressing to find a fuel station that would accommodate our rig as the fuel gauge rapidly approached empty.

Last edited:

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Brandon, the tech at Titan told me all they set is the capacity (197 liters), and the computer adjusts the rest. He said you do go a long ways (about 10 gallons) before the gauge comes off of full, because there is a fair amount of fuel above the top of where the stock float reaches, but as the tank empties, the amount left in the tank gets more and more accurate, as the "empty" float level is nearly the same distance off the bottom of the tank. A couple of fill-ups from empty should tell you how many gallons actually remain when the warning says low fuel. With my stock tank it would always take about 26 gallons to fill when the warning showed no fuel left, so actually 4~6 gallons remaining.

This is great info, thank you.

BigRamfan

Reaction score
I found a video from the guy that swapped out his Titan for the S&B that commented on the S&B site. Maybe Titan has made changes to their tanks since he originally purchased his and maybe he is a member here idk but looks like I'm leaning towards S&B but let's hear what you guys say.

Thanks for the video,
I'm looking to install a larger tank on a 2023 ram 3500 Megacab. With the S&B how was the procedure to reprogram the fuel gage and the miles to empty displays? Evidently with the Titan you have to burn off 10 gal or so until the fuel gauge starts to move. Is that the case with the S&B also? Is the miles to empty display with the S&B accurate?

MooneyFWD

Reaction score
Thanks for the video,
I'm looking to install a larger tank on a 2023 ram 3500 Megacab. With the S&B how was the procedure to reprogram the fuel gage and the miles to empty displays? Evidently with the Titan you have to burn off 10 gal or so until the fuel gauge starts to move. Is that the case with the S&B also? Is the miles to empty display with the S&B accurate?
That's correct about the Titan tank. My fuel gauge doesn't move for a little while when full. The DTE still changes during that time, and seems to keep its accuracy regardless of fuel needle movement.

Arth

Reaction score
That's correct about the Titan tank. My fuel gauge doesn't move for a little while when full. The DTE still changes during that time, and seems to keep its accuracy regardless of fuel needle movement.
This is my experience as well. The DTE seems to always stay reliable no matter where the gauge is at.

BigRamfan

Reaction score
I was interested in knowing regarding the S&B tank: How was the procedure to reprogram the fuel gage and the miles to empty displays? Is the miles to empty display with the S&B accurate? Does the S&B fuel gauge stay on full for a while before it starts to move?

MooneyFWD

Reaction score
I was interested in knowing regarding the S&B tank: How was the procedure to reprogram the fuel gage and the miles to empty displays? Is the miles to empty display with the S&B accurate? Does the S&B fuel gauge stay on full for a while before it starts to move?
I'd bet money it's all exactly the same as our experience with the Titan tank. You change the tank size to 197 liters with AlfaOBD. That's the largest size that seems to work.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
I had a shop install my S&B 52 gallon tank and Fleece Flo-Pro fuel pump today in my 2022 as I have had Bilateral shoulder replacements from the VA and did not want to fight that thing. All in all with the Fleece installed I think maybe it runs a bit better time will tell, I have not had the chance to change the Liters to 194.000 in AlfaOBD yet as the weather stinks outside.

Now up next will be the Revmax Valve body/Deep Pan install and BD Diesel thermal bypass kit, I think I can handle this myself if the weather would improve.

Steevo

Reaction score
After several tanks of fuel, my experience is totally positive with my Titan 52 gallon tank.
I have run it down to as low as I dared, and not had the low fuel warning come on. The lowest "miles to empty" I have run it down to is 54. With the original tank, it would come on when I had about 5~6 gallons left and I ran it down as far as 32 miles remaining. I have filled up the Titan tank with as much as 48 gallons (theoretically 4gal remaining), and no low fuel warning. I don't know yet how few gallons would be left when the light comes on, as I am gun-shy about running it out of fuel. It sure is awesome to fill up and have it read 957 miles to empty though!

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
After several tanks of fuel, my experience is totally positive with my Titan 52 gallon tank.
I have run it down to as low as I dared, and not had the low fuel warning come on. The lowest "miles to empty" I have run it down to is 54. With the original tank, it would come on when I had about 5~6 gallons left and I ran it down as far as 32 miles remaining. I have filled up the Titan tank with as much as 48 gallons (theoretically 4gal remaining), and no low fuel warning. I don't know yet how few gallons would be left when the light comes on, as I am gun-shy about running it out of fuel. It sure is awesome to fill up and have it read 957 miles to empty though!

The low light comes on a 50 miles DTE.

slvrsix7

Reaction score
I have the Titan Trekker 50-gallon tank in the bed, so not the replacement. Happy with it and think Titan puts out a good product.

Jimmy Dean

Reaction score
Never realized how expensive these things are…whew!

I’ve been looking at RDS tanks for the bed, and thought this might be a good option instead.

Drumminguy81

Reaction score
the S&B 52gal was hands down the best mod I have done to my 20 Mega DRW. install was a pain but doable in my driveway in a couple hours, programmed the DTE with alphaobd in a couple minutes. The only negative about it is having to pay over $200 every time I go to the pump. but that is to be expected with current diesel prices.

g00fy

Reaction score
the S&B 52gal was hands down the best mod I have done to my 20 Mega DRW. install was a pain but doable in my driveway in a couple hours, programmed the DTE with alphaobd in a couple minutes. The only negative about it is having to pay over $200 every time I go to the pump. but that is to be expected with current diesel prices.
I got a question about your S&B does it need to burp several times when you're getting to the top and trying to fill it to the max for a road trip? My Titan is kind of a pain with that, after it fills to a certain point it keeps popping the shutoff on the pump, so I gotta baby sit it and slowly fill it. Sometimes if I fill it too quick, when it burps it'll puke out a big splash of diesel before it lets all the air out and I can continue filling. It usually takes me almost as long to get the last 5 gallons in, as it does to fill the rest of the tank.

Drumminguy81

Reaction score
I got a question about your S&B does it need to burp several times when you're getting to the top and trying to fill it to the max for a road trip? My Titan is kind of a pain with that, after it fills to a certain point it keeps popping the shutoff on the pump, so I gotta baby sit it and slowly fill it. Sometimes if I fill it too quick, when it burps it'll puke out a big splash of diesel before it lets all the air out and I can continue filling. It usually takes me almost as long to get the last 5 gallons in, as it does to fill the rest of the tank.
I have never had an issue filling up, I also dont top my tank off. when it clicks im done. I dont pay super close attention to how much fuel i get each fill up, but i do know on the first fill i put 49 gallons in on top of the 2.5 gallons from a can after installing. the S&B comes with a check valve that installs on the filler hose to prevent back flow, not sure if that is a factor.

doct

Reaction score
What did you set your liters to on Alpha? My Dte is all over the place and not accurate. The fuel guage seems off to and have been going off of idash fuel level which seems to be most accurate.

MooneyFWD

Reaction score
What did you set your liters to on Alpha? My Dte is all over the place and not accurate. The fuel guage seems off to and have been going off of idash fuel level which seems to be most accurate.
I believe 194 liters is the highest/closest you can set it.

JustARam22

Reaction score
Just got my S and B tank today, plan to install this weekend. Seems everyone is happy with there bigger tanks, I can't wait

AFF

Reaction score
I got my S&B 52 gallon talk on Thursday. Hope to do it sometime in the next couple days. Anyone know how to drain the tank almost to empty with out driving it? I'd like to pump it almost dry before removing it.

Users who are viewing this thread