Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

52 Gal fuel tanks Titan or S&B likes/dislikes of both units

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
Trying to gather info from you guys that have swapped out their fuel tanks as to likes and dislikes of both units. I have talked to both manufactures and I read on S&B site that one guy that had a Titan that said the front of his sagged under full load and ended up getting a S&B to replace it. Don't know how much I put into that but who knows, also why it's out I might put in a Fleece PowerFlo® In-tank Lift Pump.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
I'm going s&b. doesn't hang down quite so low, alongvwith the reason you mentioned.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
I found a video from the guy that swapped out his Titan for the S&B that commented on the S&B site. Maybe Titan has made changes to their tanks since he originally purchased his and maybe he is a member here idk but looks like I'm leaning towards S&B but let's hear what you guys say.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I had the 55 gallon Titan on my 2018 and really liked it. No real issues and a relatively painless install. Great customer service.

The only real thing I would like to see them improve is to provide a new float arm for the OEM fuel sender. The new depth of the tank means the gauge doesn't move until you have burned 10 gallons of fuel. With a new longer float arm you could easily make the gauge work better.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
I ended up ordering the S&B tank direct from S&B and the Fleece PowerFlo In-tank Lift Pump for 2011-2022 direct from Fleece for my truck along with a few other things for down the road. I felt like while the tank is out might as well upgrade the lift pump while I'm at it. I'm mulling over the Fleece Cheetah Turbocharger for 2019-2022 6.7L Cummins as a near future upgrade as I already ordered the hoses for it. Now just waiting for parts and Matco MCR103A Cooling System Filler and adapters to show up. Before anyone says anything I looked at the cooling system fillers on Amazon and the reviews where less than stellar on most of them.

Last edited:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I made my own coolant filter system on my 05. I wouldn’t repeat it. Not sure it did anything besides make the engine take longer to warm up.

I never recall finding anything in the filter.

I used a a Fleetguard filter head and a ECF4085.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
I made my own coolant filter system on my 05. I wouldn’t repeat it. Not sure it did anything besides make the engine take longer to warm up.

I never recall finding anything in the filter.

I used a a Fleetguard filter head and a ECF4085.
@AH64ID You miss read that Matco MCR103A Cooling System Filler, not filter. As I bought Fleece Coolant Bypass Kit for 2019+ Ram with 6.7L Cummins and will need to bleed the coolant system.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
@AH64ID You miss read that Matco MCR103A Cooling System Filler, not filter. As I bought Fleece Coolant Bypass Kit for 2019+ Ram with 6.7L Cummins and will need to bleed the coolant system.

Whoops. Long day o_O

Steevo

Reaction score
Just had my 52 gal. Titan tank installed today. Since I live in Idaho Falls, where Titan's HQ is, I had them do the install at their facility. What a great bunch of people they are! My thanks and appreciation to Mitch, Brandon, and the entire crew at Titan for their hospitality, friendliness, and great service. In and out in one day, install, Alfa-OBD programming and filled with fuel to leak test.
They told me they filmed the installation process on my truck to make a YouTube how-to video they will post soon. I will post a link here when they get me the info.

Ready for some 5th-wheeling this year!

Oh, and they gave me a swell hat too! ;)
DTE Awesomeness-sm.jpg

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    705.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Wheelz

Reaction score
I've been wanting to drop in one of these in and a fleece powerflo sending unit. BUT since I have the OEM 50 gal option I'm SOL. Can't use S&B's 60gal tank either. I guess there an extra crossmember for the OEM 50 gal and a different sending unit. My only option now is an bed mounted AUX/Transfer tank

g00fy

Reaction score
I got a Titan 52 gallon tank back in early fall. Initially I had an S&B on order from mid summer, but it was taking months to arrive and I had a road trip planned with my travel trailer in early November. I found out in late September that S&B was redesigning their tank and that's why there was a delay and the redesigned tank should have gotten to me in time, but I didn't want to risk it, and I didn't want to get a tank from the first production run of a major redesign.

So I cancelled the S&B and ordered a Titan. Other than the sag, I have no complaints with it, and I don't even really care about how the sag looks since I have running boards that hide it. My only concern would be if the sag at the front of the tank will eventually cause the tank to fatigue and crack in the future.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I need to get off my ass and buy one of these tanks.

How involved is the programming to get the DTE display to read properly like @Steevo's truck?

g00fy

Reaction score

How involved is the programming to get the DTE display to read properly like @Steevo's truck?

It's really not bad, it's like 5 minutes with alphaobd and a driving cycle or 2 to let everything calibrate

MooneyFWD

Reaction score
I had a Titan installed a few weeks ago. I'm really enjoying it.

Steevo

Reaction score

Brandon, the tech at Titan told me all they set is the capacity (197 liters), and the computer adjusts the rest. He said you do go a long ways (about 10 gallons) before the gauge comes off of full, because there is a fair amount of fuel above the top of where the stock float reaches, but as the tank empties, the amount left in the tank gets more and more accurate, as the "empty" float level is nearly the same distance off the bottom of the tank. A couple of fill-ups from empty should tell you how many gallons actually remain when the warning says low fuel. With my stock tank it would always take about 26 gallons to fill when the warning showed no fuel left, so actually 4~6 gallons remaining.

unclelala

Reaction score
Question to all the after market tank guys, what is so wrong with the OEM 50 gallon tank ? There is probably many personal reasons why getting the tank after the fact but just wondering because when ordering the 50 gallon OEM tank I thought it was one of the best bang for the buck compared to other options. Ive had no issues.

flan

Reaction score
Question to all the after market tank guys, what is so wrong with the OEM 50 gallon tank ? There is probably many personal reasons why getting the tank after the fact but just wondering because when ordering the 50 gallon OEM tank I thought it was one of the best bang for the buck compared to other options. Ive had no issues.
It wasn’t an option for many who do the upgrade. Also if you bought a truck off the lot instead of ordered it may of not been a option the dealer checked off.

unclelala

Reaction score
It wasn’t an option for many who do the upgrade. Also if you bought a truck off the lot instead of ordered it may of not been a option the dealer checked off.
Yup never occurred to me. I never did find a truck on the lot that had all what I wanted and Im not handy and fit enough to make it happen after pruchase ;)

Will_T

Reaction score
OEM only available on the long bed.

Users who are viewing this thread