Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

500-1000 Mile Towing Break-in

BurnMac42

Reaction score
Instead of resurrecting an old thread figured I would just ask the question here for a quick answer. I have a 2020 and the manual states to properly break the driveline in to tow some weight around for the 500-1000 mile period under 50 mph. My dilemma is I don't have immediate access to a trailer right now. Will it hurt the truck if it DOESN'T tow something between those miles?

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
No.

It also recommends putting something heavy back there before 6,000mi to help the "finish" of the engine or something like that.

Other than the emissions and injection pump (19-20), the engine will last forever if you do, or do not do those things.

BurnMac42

Reaction score
No.

It also recommends putting something heavy back there before 6,000mi to help the "finish" of the engine or something like that.

Other than the emissions and injection pump (19-20), the engine will last forever if you do, or do not do those things.
I read somewhere that the engine was gtg from day one but isn't the breakin for the rear end of the truck? Will that get broken in if it doesn't see any weight until Spring (IE when I get a trailer back)?

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
I read somewhere that the engine was gtg from day one but isn't the breakin for the rear end of the truck? Will that get broken in if it doesn't see any weight until Spring (IE when I get a trailer back)?

Break in for the rear is 500mi. They recommend no towing or constant long term speed. It's for pinion to ring gear wear in.

Again, though, there are people who hitch a trailer at 1mi and it's still pulling hard on the stock rear at 200,000mi

Users who are viewing this thread