Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

50 Gallon Fuel Tank

Phil T

Reaction score
Fixed. Changed it back to 121.000 liters and watched as the fuel gauge ticked up to full. Then I went back and changed it to 230.000 liters and it stayed at full.

DTE stayed the same but maybe it will recalculate with some driving.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Fixed. Changed it back to 121.000 liters and watched as the fuel gauge ticked up to full. Then I went back and changed it to 230.000 liters and it stayed at full.

Awesome.

Weird that we sometimes have to have a do-over for some of these changes to work.

P.S. You might want to also look at the tank empty % setting.

g00fy

Reaction score

Glad you got it working, can you link to exactly which tank you got? My truck is a 2500 short bed I think the only size I saw available was 52 gallon.

Also how difficult was the actual install, and did you have access to a lift for the job or just Jack stands? I'll probably be doing mine on Jack stands.

Phil T

Reaction score
We don't need no stinking jackstands.
I had about 4 gallons left in the tank. Lowered it with my floor jack. The hardest part was disconnecting the lines and fuel pump connector. Once it was on the ground, I just jacked up the drivers side rear and slid it out.

The tank for mine is the 7030313, but that is for the crew longbed. Your mini truck bed is quite limited on space under there. I had over a foot of space between the old tank and the def tank and the new one fills that space nicely.

I used blocks to raise the new tank to keep it level on the way up. Once I got it high enough, I reconnected the lines then raised it up to the frame and attached the straps.

ramazing916

Reaction score
Does installing this tank screw up your factory warranty? Does it need to be installed by an official Titan dealer?

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I don't see how it would, if anything, the warranty on the tank itself will be cancelled but nothing else should be affected.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Phil T

Reaction score
Anything you do to a vehicle opens up the possibility that they will claim you voided the warranty.

Phil T

Reaction score
Newest update to changing the Fuel Capacity setting. I checked the fuel gauge after it had been sitting a few days, and the fuel gauge was at empty again. I changed it back to 121.000 liters and the gauge went back to full. Reset it back to 230.00 liters, waited about 2 hours and it is back at empty. Something weird is going on with that setting.

I put it back to 121.000 and will check it again in a while to see if it stays full.

Phil T

Reaction score
Ok, the last word on the fuel gauge problem. I contacted Alexey at AlfaOBD and explained the symptoms I was having with the fuel gauge. He got back to me and had me set the value of "VehConfig3 - Fuel Capacity" to 194.000 liters. That did the trick for the analog gauge reading empty. I then asked if there was a max value for that setting. He got back to me that there is a maximum. 255-36=219 liters. He didn't indicate what the 36 is for, but that accounts for about 9 gallons. 219 is 57.85 gallons, so close enough to the real tank capacity of almost 62 gallons. When I tried the max value, the analog gauge went to zero again. After trying multiple numbers, the largest one is the one Alexey suggested, 194.000.

So I guess that's it. That accounts for 51.25 gallons. I ways short of 62, but I will live with that. What other choice do I have?

Phil20200816_172535 (Small).jpg

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Ok, the last word on the fuel gauge problem. I contacted Alexey at AlfaOBD and explained the symptoms I was having with the fuel gauge. He got back to me and had me set the value of "VehConfig3 - Fuel Capacity" to 194.000 liters. That did the trick for the analog gauge reading empty. I then asked if there was a max value for that setting. He got back to me that there is a maximum. 255-36=219 liters. He didn't indicate what the 36 is for, but that accounts for about 9 gallons. 219 is 57.85 gallons, so close enough to the real tank capacity of almost 62 gallons. When I tried the max value, the analog gauge went to zero again. After trying multiple numbers, the largest one is the one Alexey suggested, 194.000.

So I guess that's it. That accounts for 51.25 gallons. I ways short of 62, but I will live with that. What other choice do I have?

PhilView attachment 6532
that's a bummer. Well at least I know now when I get my 50 gal aux tank to go into bed to add to the factory 50 gal, not to worry about reevaluating the gauge setting . Thanks for all your leg work

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Phil

Sounds like max value is what RAM offers for PT chassis? Maybe the BCM for Chassis Cab is different and allows the higher settings.

Houston HB

Reaction score
so why is everybody doing this instead of doing the sb tanks? I trying to figure out which tank to do on my 2020 ram 2500 crew cab Laramie

btx8484

Reaction score
so why is everybody doing this instead of doing the sb tanks? I trying to figure out which tank to do on my 2020 ram 2500 crew cab Laramie
I've got that exact same question on why not go with the S&B tank except mine is a 2019 CCSWB. I guess maybe they have a long bed or they want to have an aux fuel tank that doesn't hang down a couple of inches past the frame rails. Either that or if they go Titan you can get a "shield" for your mid-ship replacement fuel tank.

20Limited3500

Reaction score
I would like a Titan tank because I haul a slide in camper and want extra range. Had I ordered my 2020 3500 Limited 4x4 DRW CCLWB truck from the factory, I would have ordered it with the 50 gallon tank stock.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I would like a Titan tank because I haul a slide in camper and want extra range. Had I ordered my 2020 3500 Limited 4x4 DRW CCLWB truck from the factory, I would have ordered it with the 50 gallon tank stock.
Got my factory 50 gal, and it's great for traveling with the fiver. BUTTTT, I've come to terms that no matter how big, its never enough as I'm considering an aux 50 gal gravity flow. What do y ah do

20Limited3500

Reaction score
Got my factory 50 gal, and it's great for traveling with the fiver. BUTTTT, I've come to terms that no matter how big, its never enough as I'm considering an aux 50 gal gravity flow. What do y ah do

If I was only pulling a trailer, I go for a secondary tank in the bed. Not an option when you have a slide in camper unfortunately. What do yah do...

Houston HB

Reaction score

PhilView attachment 6532
phil please check your dm

20Limited3500

Reaction score
Just ordered the Titan replacement 55 gallon tank for mine. Now I will need to get the other goodies to program the system to know it has more fuel in it than the measly 32 gallons it came with. Ordered from 4wheelparts with a 5% off coupon they sent me. So I am sure I'll have time to gather what I need. They aren't always the quickest at getting things and this will come directly from Titan for an in store pick up with free shipping. Otherwise It was almost $130 for freight to my house.

20Limited3500

Reaction score
@Phil T, @Jimmy07 or anyone with more knowledge than I, have you tried re-calibrating the gauge to work with the larger tank? I have seen where the 1500 guys are putting in larger tanks and then re-calibrating the gauge for Full and Empty with AlfaOBD in percentages. Is this something we can do on ours with the larger tanks like Titans? Maybe that could make is so you could use a larger liter number instead of 194. Just an idea.

Phil T

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread