Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

50 Gallon Fuel Tank

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
So when I say running a fuel house from the bottom of aux tank in bed to a t- connector in fuel line, i should have stated the fuel fill tube. You cut the fuel fill tube and splice on the t- connector and let the aux tank trickle into factory tank or only let aux tank flow fuel when you open a gate valve. I thought these little kits were a common thing. I don't want a big bulky pump and filters sticking up. The aux tank will fit under my tonnue cover and all I have to do is unscrew a cap and fill it. My question was , with this trickle method were you keep your factory tank full from the aux tank, how do you change your system to recognise a 100 gallon tank and how would it read an exterior tank. That just doesn't make sense to me, maybe I'm over thinking it but what makes sense to me is that there's no way for the system to read an aux tank and the gauge will show full until aux tank is empty and factory tank starts to drop.
3490901_400x400.jpg

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
So hears the 3 tanks I'm going to choose between to put behind my tool box at front of head board thus moving the tool box closer to fiver hitch. The one I pick of the 3 basically comes down to width and how much room ill have before toolbox gets pushed to fiver legs and stops, I'll have to measure tomorrow. In the pictures I already have toolbox sitting back from headboard probably around 8" so it don't hit under the tonnue cover lock down hand nuts, and you can see how much room is in front of toolbox to fiver legs. I know for a fact I've got the 10-12" for either the 37 or 50 gal tanks and pretty sure I don't have enough room for the 98 gal as its 22.5" wideScreenshot_20200725-230843.pngScreenshot_20200725-230610.pngScreenshot_20200725-230444.png
20200608_160248.jpg

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Nice system . I know when I priced the fuel box tanks and systems on my 16 model they were very high end with a high price tag that went with them. 2-3x more than my current idea of how to proceed. Now I totally get how the fuel box can read what's in both tanks as it has a pump and floats that can read the fuel level. Very awesome system indeed. I obviously am taking a much more economical and simplistic approach with just a storage tank that has a valve that you can leave open all the time for it to keep main frank full or just open and close the valve when you want to refill the main tank. I personally would just leave the valve open at all times. My question is, would there be anyway with my simplistic idea to be able to know how much fuel you have in total in a read out like your gauge. Sounds easy to just plug into obdll and change tank size but i dont see how that would be able to distinguish how much fuel is there between both tanks as the aux tank would just be gravity flow. In my messed up mind I'm thinking with my idea the only option would be to leave tank size as is and it would just show full until aux tank was empty and main started to depleat wich would intern give you a real high false number of MPG reading. Am i right or wrong and or what am i missing?

1FastHemi

Reaction score
Nice system . I know when I priced the fuel box tanks and systems on my 16 model they were very high end with a high price tag that went with them. 2-3x more than my current idea of how to proceed. Now I totally get how the fuel box can read what's in both tanks as it has a pump and floats that can read the fuel level. Very awesome system indeed. I obviously am taking a much more economical and simplistic approach with just a storage tank that has a valve that you can leave open all the time for it to keep main frank full or just open and close the valve when you want to refill the main tank. I personally would just leave the valve open at all times. My question is, would there be anyway with my simplistic idea to be able to know how much fuel you have in total in a read out like your gauge. Sounds easy to just plug into obdll and change tank size but i dont see how that would be able to distinguish how much fuel is there between both tanks as the aux tank would just be gravity flow. In my messed up mind I'm thinking with my idea the only option would be to leave tank size as is and it would just show full until aux tank was empty and main started to depleat wich would intern give you a real high false number of MPG reading. Am i right or wrong and or what am i missing?

That is a good question. I wish I knew the answer.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I just ordered the Titan 7030313 tank for my 2019 3500 Crew Long Bed. When I get it, I will post the outcome on setting the proper tank size in AlphaOBD.

Let me know if you need the factory low fuel warning setting number, I can check my Alpha logs.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
100 gallons..... SMH
Hahaha, that would be sweet to be able to put that baby in there, but im pretty positive I don't have the 24" between my tool box and fiver legs. 150 gallons in all, that be like the tanks I had on my commercial rig. I know I have room for the 37 gal but hoping for the 50 to fit . Problem with that one is the 60" long is going to put me by my bakflip rails that hang down and they might hang low enough so the 18" tank heighth wouldn't clear as floor to top of cab rail is only 20". An it's been to dag gum hot to go out and measure, 108 out today.

BULLSANDBUCKSHUNTER

Reaction score
I am only on my secend tank but 853 off the lot 907 when i topped off before trip on my 50. I am also going to be adding a 40gallon rds aux toolbox with small pump via gravity feed plumbing kit. Gravity feeds work great but i want control and faster results, plus i paid for all those aux switches i want to use them! Not worrying and sometimes stressing about fuel is so amazing....

wjcook68

Reaction score
The 50 Gallon tank is awesome. Again, I am coming from an '07 F-150 with a 26 gallon fuel tank. I was at half a tank and topped off and it was $77. LOL. I about had a stroke then remembered the tank size. You guys with the 100 gallon capacity ROCK!

npurdy1112

Reaction score
Has anyone seen if the 2020 fifty gallon tank is available and will fit in the 2019?

Phil T

Reaction score
Has anyone seen if the 2020 fifty gallon tank is available and will fit in the 2019?
I just put the Titan tank in my 2019. It fits perfectly. I was able to get just shy of 62 gallons into the tank. Why would you want the RAM 50??????

npurdy1112

Reaction score
I just put the Titan tank in my 2019. It fits perfectly. I was able to get just shy of 62 gallons into the tank. Why would you want the RAM 50??????

Titan does not make a tank for my truck.

Phil T

Reaction score
I just discovered a huge problem after installing my Titan tank. The fuel gauge reads empty. The truck starts fine, so the pump is working. I went back under and luckily, there is room to unplug the connector from the passenger side. I disconnected the tank connector, looked at both sides for any weird looking pins, and plugged it back in. The distinctive click was there so I know it is all the way in. The safety lock was pushed back in as well. The tank is currently full with 61+ gallons hand filled with cans.

I was extremely careful when I swapped the pump from the old tank to the new tank, not ever letting the float touch any thing.

I have seen online some cluster tests, but none pertain to the newest clusters. I don't even know if that would do anything.

I am out of ideas.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I just discovered a huge problem after installing my Titan tank. The fuel gauge reads empty. The truck starts fine, so the pump is working. I went back under and luckily, there is room to unplug the connector from the passenger side. I disconnected the tank connector, looked at both sides for any weird looking pins, and plugged it back in. The distinctive click was there so I know it is all the way in. The safety lock was pushed back in as well. The tank is currently full with 61+ gallons hand filled with cans.

I was extremely careful when I swapped the pump from the old tank to the new tank, not ever letting the float touch any thing.

I have seen online some cluster tests, but none pertain to the newest clusters. I don't even know if that would do anything.

I am out of ideas.

Sorry to hear that, broken stuff sucks.

I take it you looked through the tests in AlphaOBD?

Did you try to change the tank size and perhaps use gal instead of liters? I think most adjustments are metric.

Phil T

Reaction score
I did change the tank size and used liters. I will change it back to the factory setting to see if it makes a difference.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread