Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4x4 hum noise normal?

carlrx7

Reaction score
With all the snow and not enough snow plows here in TX, I found myself using 4x4 HI for the first time (in my life) to get to the interstate. While in 4x4 HI i did notice increased noise harmonics from the front end. Just wondering if this is normal, as this is my first true 4x4 vehicle. Otherwise the electronic on-the-fly selection worked great. As i slowed to exit the highway, i would select the 4x4 HI and 3-5 seconds later it would lock it up (solid light). I did notice that it would stay locked up longer than the light indicates, I would go back to 4x2 as i turn off into a cleared parking lot it still would surge and tire scrub on tight turns.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Normal.

Sometimes a little throttle blip will help drop the CAD out of lock. If there's enough pressure against the shaft splines, it won't release right away.

Also, it's a good idea to test/check/engage/exercise the system once in a while if you rarely use it.

Users who are viewing this thread