Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4wd issues

KevoTheFord

Reaction score
We got some snow so i figured I would try the 4wd out today and the truck jerks around and doesn’t want to drive. My truck is less than 5 months old but it is the first time I have used 4wd for actual driving aside from pulling our trailer out of a swampy campsite. Anyone ever experience anything like this? I had to stop around the corner from our house and go back to 2wd and everything worked fine

KevoTheFord

Reaction score
Honestly I’m not the most mechanically inclined but the best description of what I felt is it was like driving with someone new to driving a manual transmission really jerky and choppy and then throttle didn’t seemed to do anything. I was driving in 4” of snow and drove less than 100’ before I had to pull over

flan

Reaction score
Definitely not normal. Were you in 4wd hi or low? I’d get that into the dealer ASAP.

Thedaran

Reaction score
I'm not an expert but kind of sounds like you were trying to improperly go from 2hi to 4low? Have you figured out the problem?

red

Reaction score
Same size tires front and back? I saw a real life example of this years ago, the guy couldn't figure out what was wrong with the truck when in 4WD. He wound up destroying the transfer case.

Last edited:

fuchsroehre

Reaction score
it should drive normal if you go straight. Other than more traction when accelerating nothing should be different between 2H and 4H. Only going around corners in 4H is more difficult when you are on a good traction surface. The truck does not want to steer as good around corners and needs more power to do so.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
What is Traction Control? Is that separate from the Anti-lock rear end?
Its the button with a car and squiggly lines in the center stack when pressed it allows you to spin the tires

MEGA HO

Reaction score
If he was in 4" of snow, that is not normal.
All my trucks (personal and work) that I've driven in winter months, I've driven in 4wd when roads were anything but clean and dry pavement. Never an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread