Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4WD Dash Indicator Light

Tomtwhite

Reaction score
My 4WD indicator light is “4 Wheel Drive Lock”. What exactly is locked? The front diff? Front and rear diffs? The transfer case?

TIA

Tom W.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
My 4WD indicator light is “4 Wheel Drive Lock”. What exactly is locked? The front diff? Front and rear diffs? The transfer case?

TIA

Tom W.

The transfer case. You can also see a closed lock on the transfer case on the off-road pages, if equipped.

AWD, or full time 4WD, will have an engaged transfer case but it woundn’t be locked (similar to a differential).

Our 4Runner has a transfer case that can be locked or unlocked. It makes for 5 modes and is pretty awesome. 2WD, AWD-Hi, AWD-Lo, 4WD-Hi, and 4WD-Lo.

I’d love a transfer case like that in a pickup. I do so much dirt road towing that I end up in 4WD more than needed to try and save some tires. AWD would be a better option.

Tomtwhite

Reaction score
Thanks. But doesn’t the transfer case lock on all typical part time 4WD systems?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. But doesn’t the transfer case lock on all typical part time 4WD systems?

Correct.

Full time has some sort of differential within the transfer case. Some are a Torsen style that puts more power tongue rear axle, and some are more similar to a FWD car.

Users who are viewing this thread