Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

48re replacement suggestions

LouHiddell

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum and don't have a lot of knowledge about the 48re that's in my truck or transmissions in general but after 190k miles and a lot of towing my transmission is shot. The truck is an 07 Ram 2500 with the cummins diesel and is 4 wheel drive. I plan on giving the truck to my son later this year so the replacement trans needs to be reliable. My local transmission shop said it would be 3300 for them to rebuild it but I found a remanufactured one here, https://reman-transmission.com/transmission-codes/?code=48RE. Is there a reason why the remanufactured one online is so much cheaper than the rebuild quote? Like is there a serious difference? If anyone has any advice on where to get a quality 48re transmission or have any comments about the company that has the remanufactured 48re please let me know as I'm still learning and trying to figure out the best route.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Buy a built 48re or have yours beefed up during the rebuild

LouHiddell

Reaction score
What parts would you suggest adding to it to beef it up? Keep in mind I won't be hauling my small fifth wheel with it anymore once I give it to my son here in about 5 months and the most he'll tow is maybe a 3-4000 lb boat.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
What parts would you suggest adding to it to beef it up? Keep in mind I won't be hauling my small fifth wheel with it anymore once I give it to my son here in about 5 months and the most he'll tow is maybe a 3-4000 lb boat.
How old is your son? Towing is not my concern and there are plenty of threads (not all on this site) on Built 48re id suggest you take some time and do some research to find what type of build will suit… if your son is young id imagine he will be like i was when i was young and went through many vehicles (and rear tires) by running them very hard

whitexc

Reaction score
Clutches, valve body upgrades/shift kit, torque converter, input shaft, deep pan.....you can pretty much spend as much as you want. The trans in my 2002 cost around 5k to build.

I would go with a trans shop familiar with Ram/Cummins/4*re and experience fixing the things Mopar got wrong. It will save in the long run.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread