Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4600 vs 5100 front shocks

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
So I'm finding bits of info here/there scattered on numerous threads...

There is no difference in body diameter (1.95") or the rod (14mm) and what appears to me to be a minimal difference in the lengths and travel as indicated below).
I'm seeing multiple posts on different forums on folks running 5100 with no ill effect though Bilstein does say they are only for trucks with 2-2.5" lifts.

Based on the statement they are only for lifted applications, it has been stated the valving is likely set up more towards off-road and heavier tires.
Other than that, they appear to both be of an IFP design (cut away below) which is good.

I know folks love their FOXs, but it seems the 4600s are a good solid shock for those with a stock truck who are mostly towing and 'normal' campground/dirt/back roads.

Extended Length 21.400"
Compressed Length 14.690"
Travel 6.710"

Extended Length 22.630"
Compressed Length 15.030"
Travel 7.600"

1663939606368.png

1663939638970.png

Last edited:

flan

Reaction score
I emailed bilstien a while back and short of looks and travel there isn’t much performance difference.

jetrinka

Reaction score
My father has had multiple Fox shocks on his F350 since 2015 and had most of them leak and need replacing. I wasn't impressed.

Had 5100's on my stock height 01 Cummins and they worked great.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
My father has had multiple Fox shocks on his F350 since 2015 and had most of them leak and need replacing. I wasn't impressed.

Had 5100's on my stock height 01 Cummins and they worked great.

One reason the raptor went goodbye, not worth the trouble…..they were awesome, but not worth the trouble

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I emailed bilstien a while back and short of looks and travel there isn’t much performance difference.

Length and travel aren't a huge difference between the two for sure and I'm certainly not savy enough to say if it will make type of adverse impact,

Reaction score
i had Fox shocks on my last truck (F-350) and I didn't notice a huge difference in the ride quality. i think it's more brand recognition than anything else, but I'm no expert on shocks.
I've heard some a lot of ppl say they had quality issues with Fox so I'm gonna take a chance on these Bilstein 5100's for my 2019 Crew cab.
I'll try to report back on the Bilsteins.

Last edited:

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
i had Fox shocks on my last truck (F-350) and I didn't notice a huge difference in the ride quality. i think it's more brand recognition than anything else, but I'm no expert on shocks.
I've heard some a lot of ppl say they had quality issues on them so I'm gonna take a chance on these Bilstein 5100's for my 2019 Crew cab.
I'll try to report back if it see any imporovement.

After emailing a couple of places that recommended the 5100s (even for a stock ride height) I'm satisfied with the explanation provided and I feel they will work fine for my application and have ordered a set as well.

jsalbre

Reaction score
After emailing a couple of places that recommended the 5100s (even for a stock ride height) I'm satisfied with the explanation provided and I feel they will work fine for my application and have ordered a set as well.
What was their reasoning behind recommending the 5100s?

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
What was their reasoning behind recommending the 5100s?

I asked for a recommendation for a stock height truck with maybe 35's in the future.
No 'off-roading'... forest service roads and fire trails are likely the worst I'll ever see.
Primarily hauling/towing a TT no more than 10K.

ShockSurplus provided a bit more reasoning behind their suggestions.

Foxes 'might be ok, but are are made for off-road applications' and 'while some like the ride, they don't respond the same as a shock set up for towing/hauling' (I'm sure people who have Foxes will disagree).
I guess this is where we get into linear and digressive valving (and some other stuff) which makes my head spin.

4600 is an OEM replacement, so if you want a stock ride, this is the one to get... it isn't any 'better' than OEM.

5100 does better at towing/hauling based on their own experience putting them on their own trucks and customer feedback (even though Bilstein stays there is no difference ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯,
When asked about the front shocks being "only lifted trucks" they stated "Your compressed side is what matters the most and the difference is marginally different which should be perfectly fine."

Certainly not going to claim I've done 'research' on it, but from the few articles I've read concerning shocks and valving and how they are set up to the very biased personal opinions I've watched/read, I'm inclined to agree with they explanation provided.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I asked for a recommendation for a stock height truck with maybe 35's in the future.
No 'off-roading'... forest service roads and fire trails are likely the worst I'll ever see.
Primarily hauling/towing a TT no more than 10K.

ShockSurplus provided a bit more reasoning behind their suggestions.

Foxes 'might be ok, but are are made for off-road applications' and 'while some like the ride, they don't respond the same as a shock set up for towing/hauling' (I'm sure people who have Foxes will disagree).
I guess this is where we get into linear and digressive valving (and some other stuff) which makes my head spin.

4600 is an OEM replacement, so if you want a stock ride, this is the one to get... it isn't any 'better' than OEM.

5100 does better at towing/hauling based on their own experience putting them on their own trucks and customer feedback (even though Bilstein stays there is no difference ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯,
When asked about the front shocks being "only lifted trucks" they stated "Your compressed side is what matters the most and the difference is marginally different which should be perfectly fine."

Certainly not going to claim I've done 'research' on it, but from the few articles I've read concerning shocks and valving and how they are set up to the very biased personal opinions I've watched/read, I'm inclined to agree with they explanation provided.
Thanks, useful information. I have no interest in lifting my truck (once it's finally ordered and arrives), but I definitely want better shocks than the ones the off-road package comes with. I don't do a lot of slow rock crawling, but I do spend a lot of time off-road on washboard, potholed, and rocky trails and forest roads. Sounds like the 5600s may not be right for me.

tchur1

Reaction score
Thanks, useful information. I have no interest in lifting my truck (once it's finally ordered and arrives), but I definitely want better shocks than the ones the off-road package comes with. I don't do a lot of slow rock crawling, but I do spend a lot of time off-road on washboard, potholed, and rocky trails and forest roads. Sounds like the 5600s may not be right for me.
Have you checked out the new fox performance elite stuff? More $$ but from my conversations with Fox they tune them to the stock springs on our trucks and you can order them for stock ride height. Considering your off road needs it might be a good option a well.

Enve46

Reaction score
The important thing when talking about shocks is how they match the spring rate. The reason people like Carli and Thuren ride is because the valving in the shock is designed to work with the spring rate. Anything off the shelf is not "designed" to work with the stock spring rates. 5100s are commonly bashed in the Jeep community from small event harshness and I realized the same in my 16 2500 years ago. When towing, the spring is carrying the weight not the shock so unless you have the wrong length shock or an overly stiff shock, it really shouldn't make too much difference. Neither the 4600, 5100 or Fox's are overly stiff so unless you have a matching shock/spring combo, you probably wouldn't notice much difference between any of the three unless you pay REAL close attention, nothing will be glaring

jsalbre

Reaction score
Have you checked out the new fox performance elite stuff? More $$ but from my conversations with Fox they tune them to the stock springs on our trucks and you can order them for stock ride height. Considering your off road needs it might be a good option a well.
I have not. I hadn't really started looking into this yet, I just saw this thread and it caught my eye.
The important thing when talking about shocks is how they match the spring rate. The reason people like Carli and Thuren ride is because the valving in the shock is designed to work with the spring rate. Anything off the shelf is not "designed" to work with the stock spring rates. 5100s are commonly bashed in the Jeep community from small event harshness and I realized the same in my 16 2500 years ago. When towing, the spring is carrying the weight not the shock so unless you have the wrong length shock or an overly stiff shock, it really shouldn't make too much difference. Neither the 4600, 5100 or Fox's are overly stiff so unless you have a matching shock/spring combo, you probably wouldn't notice much difference between any of the three unless you pay REAL close attention, nothing will be glaring
Yeah, springs are just as important as shocks. Unfortunately no one makes a stock height better riding spring.

I know I'm never going to get the offroad ride out of a 2500 that I have in my Gladiator Mojave (very soft springs, 2.5" internal bypass remote res Fox shocks, hydraulic bump stops), but I just want to make sure the new truck doesn't beat us to death like our 2020 Limited 2500 did.

Enve46

Reaction score
I have not. I hadn't really started looking into this yet, I just saw this thread and it caught my eye.

Yeah, springs are just as important as shocks. Unfortunately no one makes a stock height better riding spring.

I know I'm never going to get the offroad ride out of a 2500 that I have in my Gladiator Mojave (very soft springs, 2.5" internal bypass remote res Fox shocks, hydraulic bump stops), but I just want to make sure the new truck doesn't beat us to death like our 2020 Limited 2500 did.
Yea the Mojave is a different beast in general with what it's set up for. I had a Gladiator Sport with a Mopar lift and drove very nicely. I'm coming from two TRX's and talk about a comfortable ride, it was an absolute dream to drive. That said, If you're looking for a better ride, I'd suggest the lowest level from Thuren/Carli and I think one of them has a soft spring rate, 1/2" drop rear that people rave about. Otherwise, I can't see swapping to off-the-shelf shocks, with stock springs, going to change much.

My 2500 has the off-road package with the 4600s, I'm unsure if they're standard off-the-shelf shocks or valved specifically to the springs, going to lean towards off-the-shelf, but it rides nice for a 3/4 ton. So much so that I'm going with a spacer level until I figure out my plans for the suspension, rather than Carli/Thuren level until Im set in stone with the height I want.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score

Exactly... they just cater to where they know they are going to make the most money.
I think they would be surprised for demand if they offered a better stock height spring.

Users who are viewing this thread