Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4500 Camper/Jeep Hauler Build

gprguy

Reaction score
Funny coincidence, I got one of those in the mail today too. They are shockingly small!
Glad to see they are clearing out the backlog. :) The new packaging is interesting too, very minimalistic.

I’m thinking about figuring out a way to mount them directly on top of a fan, to reduce any power reduction due to heat. They seem like they’d be pretty close fit for a 120mm.
Good idea. For my camper I put a fan behind my older Orion and I used this little controller to run it automatically.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Glad to see they are clearing out the backlog. :) The new packaging is interesting too, very minimalistic.

Good idea. For my camper I put a fan behind my older Orion and I used this little controller to run it automatically.

Nice thoughts on the controller. I wonder if I could design an adaptor to a fan, and get someone to 3D print it. Or break down and finally buy a 3D printer!

gprguy

Reaction score
Nice thoughts on the controller. I wonder if I could design an adaptor to a fan, and get someone to 3D print it. Or break down and finally buy a 3D printer!
Probably would be pretty straightforward. The issue might be what temperature it needs to withstand - I know the XS is supposed to not get nearly as hot as the old Orions but I'm sure it still gets warm. Might need to be printed out of something besides normal PLA, like PETG or ABS. If it needs to be ABS you are supposed to use an enclosure due to the fumes. I haven't done anything with ABS yet but I do have access to an enclosed printer if needed...

jsalbre

Reaction score
Probably would be pretty straightforward. The issue might be what temperature it needs to withstand - I know the XS is supposed to not get nearly as hot as the old Orions but I'm sure it still gets warm. Might need to be printed out of something besides normal PLA, like PETG or ABS. If it needs to be ABS you are supposed to use an enclosure due to the fumes. I haven't done anything with ABS yet but I do have access to an enclosed printer if needed...
The manual says the back plate will never exceed 90C, so definitely pretty toasty. That said, the mounting feet of the Orion are plastic, so nothing it’s mounted to should ever see that high of a temperature. It looks like PTEG has a glass transition temp of between 80 and 100C, so it would probably be suitable.

Users who are viewing this thread