Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4 out of 6 are round

Scvette

Reaction score
So I bought new wheels/tires for my 22 Ram dually. Went with 37/12.50/20” Cooper Stt pros. Noticed the rear end shook a little more than it should. Custom offsets where I bought this package called and told me they were having issues balancing them. Abuse they were 37” and said they’ll use balance beads and that’ll be fine. Called them after I got them installed and told them the rear end shakes a lot and I was going to take it to a large west coast tire dealership and get them balanced, they said send them the bill and they’ll reimburse $35 a tire. Took it to the place to get done and they called me and said that the drivers side inner tire is way out of round and the passenger inner tire is noticeably out of round also. So now I guess I’ll see if custom offsets is a good company.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Yep, been there done that.
If the cant balance it using weights, balance beads wont do it either.
I've had a few tires that woukdnt balance. Apparently something slips in the molding process that causes that.

thrust

Reaction score
This is why I don't buy Cooper tires. I've had far too many out of round. I used to work for a large national wheel and tire shop and I would rank Cooper as a medium tier tire.

That said, they should be covered under a manufactures defect warranty.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

IowaPW

Reaction score
Been using Coopers for 30+ years. Never had a single problem like this. Just balanced a set of 33s very easily. And, my current fleet has 7 sets of Coopers...counting winters.

Scvette

Reaction score
I’m just wondering if Custom offsets knew they were out of round. I find it suspicious that it’s both the inner tires on my dually. Like I mentioned, they did call me and say they were having issues balancing the tires when I bought them and said they’d use balance beads instead. The fronts are fine no shimmy at all.

thrust

Reaction score
I've seen it on BFGs too. Most every manufacturer will have these on a very small percentage of units. It's simply that compared to other brands, Cooper has a higher number of defects, in my experience. I've sold thousands of Coopers so my sample size is large.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Cooper has been having trouble lately in 35k km i have had 3 sets of coopers and now going back to duratracs my first set cracked around the bead bad within a month, second set all were out of round now my 3rd set i have one cracked again they are warrentied i just have to pay 40$ to upgrade to the duratracs well worth it as the duratracs were 800$ more at the time when i bought the first set of coopers….

flan

Reaction score
Should be interesting to see how they handle it since it’s an online retailer. Post your experience once you follow up with them if ya don’t mind!

Scvette

Reaction score
I’ll do that. I will say so far speaking with them on the phone it’s all been very positive.

Scvette

Reaction score
So it might turn into a crap show with custom offsets. I have 2 options. Send my tires back to them, wait the 30+ days for them to get there, then them send the tires to Cooper to see if they are in fact out of round, if they are then I get new tires shipped back to me. The other option is to buy 2 new tires from Custom offsets, pay the $300+ shipping fee on top of the discounted price on tires, then ship the out of round tires to them to do the same process of waiting for them to get back to Cooper to find out if they say they’re out of round, if they are out of round I get the price of the tires back, but I still pay for shipping, if they say they’re not I get the tires shipped back to me, I’m sure they’d make me pay another $300 plus to get the out of round tires back or they won’t ship them. Learned a lesson here, I’ll buy local from here on. The local tire place that looked and said they’re out of round is a little west coast tire retailer, if you’re on the west coast you might have heard of them. Les schwab.

Scvette

Reaction score
So anyone considering buying from Custom Offsets, just think about how bad the take care of people who just bought $5800 worth of wheels/tires. They give no support, say it’s the brands issue, not theirs.

jadmt

Reaction score
Bummer for sure. I used to swear by les schwab but not anymore, here their customer service has hit rock bottom.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I had a weird vibration I could never isolate on my 2007 3500 DRW C&C, UNTIL I replaced the OE General tires with Michelin's. The tread was still well within, "good to better" depths, but I had one come apart on a 1000 mile trip. Moral of this story is, cut your losses and go with the best quality tire you can find.

I trust Michelin for my tires, I had to dump the OE Firestones on my 2019 SRW CTD, after several tire flats, not because of Firestones fault. Picked up a nail in Phoenix and took it to a Firestone dealer, even though I expected to pay for the repair, it was a free because it was a Firestone Tire Shop. I used my spare to replace another flat and had Firestone change it to my OE alloy rims and it went flat on a 2000 mile trip. So I just cut my loses and purchased Michelins, with just 27K miles on the Firestones.

flan

Reaction score
It’s not quite what you’re experiencing, but I saw this on FB, I don’t think I took mine off when mounting but probably will, next rotation.

D0EC9D09-24FA-48E3-82C1-422500F3BBF2.jpeg

MtnRider

Reaction score
So anyone considering buying from Custom Offsets, just think about how bad the take care of people who just bought $5800 worth of wheels/tires. They give no support, say it’s the brands issue, not theirs.

This is exactly why I always buy tires locally, even if they are more expensive. I just found out I have a out of round tire with one of my Cepek EXP's and my local discount tire is replacing it no questions asked.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Discount/Americas Tire is my preferred dealer. I bought my recent Michelin tires for my 2019 CTD, as well as my Arctic Fox 5ver with Michelin XPS rib trailer tires. So many purchases from them I can't remember them all, but the one thing I can remember, I've never been dissatisfied with them.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
So it might turn into a crap show with custom offsets. I have 2 options. Send my tires back to them, wait the 30+ days for them to get there, then them send the tires to Cooper to see if they are in fact out of round, if they are then I get new tires shipped back to me. The other option is to buy 2 new tires from Custom offsets, pay the $300+ shipping fee on top of the discounted price on tires, then ship the out of round tires to them to do the same process of waiting for them to get back to Cooper to find out if they say they’re out of round, if they are out of round I get the price of the tires back, but I still pay for shipping, if they say they’re not I get the tires shipped back to me, I’m sure they’d make me pay another $300 plus to get the out of round tires back or they won’t ship them. Learned a lesson here, I’ll buy local from here on. The local tire place that looked and said they’re out of round is a little west coast tire retailer, if you’re on the west coast you might have heard of them. Les schwab.
Here is the thing any place that sells cooper tires can do a warranty claim no need to ship tires and they can put them on the ballencer to see if they are out of round, this way you may only have to pay for install/balance

Users who are viewing this thread