Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.10 Gearing Daily mpg not towing?

jetrinka

Reaction score
I've got 4.10's in my Power Wagon and I usually see around 12-13 mixed. 17 - 17.5ish on highway only.

JE_75PW

Reaction score
With 35's
7 mpg in the city and 11 hwy

With stock tires
9 in the city
15 on the hwy ( 18 after increasing to 80-85 )

Note: If you're thinking im blasting around town shifting at 4000+ RPM and dropping to 2nd & 3rd to pass, drifting every intersection, and just beating on this thing and having blast... well im not! i wish that were the case, at least then I'd have an excuse to the 70's era fuel millage and could measure in smiles per gallon.

Ive tried every driving style/technique to note the difference, from normal flowing with traffic - shift around 2 - 2200, to absolutely baby mode shifting below 2000 with extreme attention to traffic light to avoid stops. Zero to occasional 4X4 use, only use it to get away at intersections when needed. Also, tried 89 octane for 3 tanks. ZERO difference.

I believe the excessive and desperate attempts to meet or improve emissions have all come together to equal poor fuel mileage.
- MDS on a HD truck that isn't required to meet EPA standards because its a HD truck? so you they think a 7000lbs HD truck trying to run on 4 cylinders was a way to save fuel? why not simply put less fuel into all 8? ( Where's Red Forman when you need him)
- programming favors low RPM.
- VVT supports low RPM power ( with more fuel of course)
- 8 speed ( when NOT towing) is increasing fuel mileage ( yes, its super smooth shifting and can skip multiple gears when downshifting)
- more gears = more times you see higher RPM during acceleration ( i'd like to try a 2-4-6-8 or 2 -4-6-7-8 pattern for normal driving and tow mode can go 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8)
- final drive should be lower with a 4:10 rear ( Toyota has .54 just saying )
- i bet there are some improvements that can be made with that exhaust ( I'll be asking magnaflow LOL)
- 0W20 oil? not a fuel thing but an evaporation emissions thing - do watch your oil - it'll be down a quart between oil changes

aaronedmonton

Reaction score
With 35's

With stock tires
9 in the city

Note: If you're thinking im blasting around town shifting at 4000+ RPM and dropping to 2nd & 3rd to pass, drifting every intersection, and just beating on this thing and having blast... well im not! i wish that were the case, at least then I'd have an excuse to the 70's era fuel millage and could measure in smiles per gallon.

Ive tried every driving style/technique to note the difference, from normal flowing with traffic - shift around 2 - 2200, to absolutely baby mode shifting below 2000 with extreme attention to traffic light to avoid stops. Zero to occasional 4X4 use, only use it to get away at intersections when needed. Also, tried 89 octane for 3 tanks. ZERO difference.

I believe the excessive and desperate attempts to meet or improve emissions have all come together to equal poor fuel mileage.
- MDS on a HD truck that isn't required to meet EPA standards because its a HD truck? so you they think a 7000lbs HD truck trying to run on 4 cylinders was a way to save fuel? why not simply put less fuel into all 8? ( Where's Red Forman when you need him)
- 8 speed ( when NOT towing) is increasing fuel mileage ( yes, its super smooth shifting and can skip multiple gears when downshifting)
- more gears = more times you see higher RPM during acceleration ( i'd like to try a 2-4-6-8 or 2 -4-6-7-8 pattern for normal driving and tow mode can go 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8)
- i bet there are some improvements that can be made with that exhaust ( I'll be asking magnaflow LOL)
- 0W20 oil? not a fuel thing but an evaporation emissions thing - do watch your oil - it'll be down a quart between oil changes
Wow that is terrible MPG. I have 35s but have the 3.73 gears. I’m getting 12-13 in city and 15-16 hwy. I drive pretty relaxed with this truck though.

jadmt

Reaction score
With 35's

With stock tires
9 in the city

I have never been down oil between changes. With your bad mpg and oil usage sounds like you got a bad one.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
With 35's

With stock tires
9 in the city

You can not simpily put less fuel in 8Cylinders you have to abide by the 14.7:1 fuel air ratio unless you want to run lean and burn up the engine in short order….

Running an automatic trans in a skipping gears pattern will kill it in short order not to mention by skipping gears you are causing more engine lug which will burn more fuel…

You can get 3.73 gears in a normal hemi the 4.10 gears are for the offroad performance of the PW. Also toyota runs a 4.30 rear end to make up for the lower OD ratio…

JE_75PW

Reaction score
You can not simpily put less fuel in 8Cylinders you have to abide by the 14.7:1 fuel air ratio unless you want to run lean and burn up the engine in short order….

Running an automatic trans in a skipping gears pattern will kill it in short order not to mention by skipping gears you are causing more engine lug which will burn more fuel…

You can get 3.73 gears in a normal hemi the 4.10 gears are for the offroad performance of the PW. Also toyota runs a 4.30 rear end to make up for the lower OD ratio…

yes, of course the 14:7 fuel : air ratio has to be maintained. I'm just thinking that the energy required to propel a vehicle at a given speed is just that, the required energy . When an excess of energy is created, the truck goes faster and so on.

When the power created by 4 cylinders are removed, the power required to propel the vehicle has not changed, this responsibility was transferred to the remaining 4 cylinders, has it not? and wouldn't those remaining 4 cylinders have to increase power output to then accommodate for the now dead/missing cylinders?

you make a good point, I really dont know if the transmission could handle a skip shift pattern. I mention it after seeing the F-150 with the 10 speed do it, im thinking the ZF could do the same, under light driving conditions. Towing would default to current pattern of course. Engine lug would depend on load ,yes?

you can also get 3.73 gear in the power wagon, however, it wasnt a choice in the 75th anniversary. yup- you are correct on the 4.30 gear for the toyota.

My fault i suppose, i expected better fuel economy.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
yes, of course the 14:7 fuel : air ratio has to be maintained. I'm just thinking that the energy required to propel a vehicle at a given speed is just that, the required energy . When an excess of energy is created, the truck goes faster and so on.

When the power created by 4 cylinders are removed, the power required to propel the vehicle has not changed, this responsibility was transferred to the remaining 4 cylinders, has it not? and wouldn't those remaining 4 cylinders have to increase power output to then accommodate for the now dead/missing cylinders?

you make a good point, I really dont know if the transmission could handle a skip shift pattern. I mention it after seeing the F-150 with the 10 speed do it, im thinking the ZF could do the same, under light driving conditions. Towing would default to current pattern of course. Engine lug would depend on load ,yes?

you can also get 3.73 gear in the power wagon, however, it wasnt a choice in the 75th anniversary. yup- you are correct on the 4.30 gear for the toyota.

My fault i suppose, i expected better fuel economy.
Every F150 i have driven with the 10speed was awful it shifted all over the place it never knew what gear it needed to be in so i dont wish that on anyone.

I didnt know you could get 3.73 in the PW thats good to know..

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Maybe try NOT babying it when driving. maybe that is the problem. Shifting at low RPMS which is putting the motor under a heavy load which will burn more gas.

I don't baby mine at all. Sometimes do jack rabbit take offs. I drive it normally, or with a little bit of a heavy foot, and I get better mileage than that.

BigJim

Reaction score
35 inch tires, Tradesman 2 door cab. Too old to hot rod around anymore. 9 around town and best highway is about 14.5, that's on cruise control flat highway at 60 mph. I'm pretty disappointed, I could do this well in my 2001 2500 regular cab with a fully loaded service body, 4.56 gears and on 35 inch tires. All this tech and no real improvement. Yep, disappointed.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
35 inch tires, Tradesman 2 door cab. Too old to hot rod around anymore. 9 around town and best highway is about 14.5, that's on cruise control flat highway at 60 mph. I'm pretty disappointed, I could do this well in my 2001 2500 regular cab with a fully loaded service body, 4.56 gears and on 35 inch tires. All this tech and no real improvement. Yep, disappointed.
Thank the hippys for all the emission systems!

kevin588127

Reaction score
Probably true but your 01 had 245 HP if it was a gasser a much lower tow rating.

JE_75PW

Reaction score
Maybe try NOT babying it when driving. maybe that is the problem. Shifting at low RPMS which is putting the motor under a heavy load which will burn more gas.

I don't baby mine at all. Sometimes do jack rabbit take offs. I drive it normally, or with a little bit of a heavy foot, and I get better mileage than that.
OK, so I've been playing around with this a little and I have to say I think you nailed it!

- Harder acceleration for shorter period of time, so far has resulted in .5mpg increase. Certainly not gonna retire early on the savings, but it does prove that you're correct. No other change in variables.

I'm certainly not flooring it. Usually shifting at 2600-2700 rpm. if i had to put a number to it, maybe about 30% throttle, definitely less than 50%. I'll put it like this, it's enough acceleration that my wife noticed, but not enough that she complained :D

Drive hard...save fuel! I like it :cool:

newmason

Reaction score
In the same boat as others. 9 city 12 to 14 highway. I'm 99% city driving and best I've seen is 10mpg between fillups. 4.10s really kill the mileage.

ClawSS

Reaction score
My current game is to hold the overall mpg calc. on the dash to be 15mpg. This is overall city/highway/rural 2-lane/etc., but all non-towing. Now with only 2500 miles so far without a thing hooked to it, I am achieving my goal. But on that day I hook to something, my game ends and I probably won't get back to the overall 15 ever again.

Iowa Wagon

Reaction score
My last tank was Missouri backroads and 5 hours on the highway back to Iowa. 15.3 MPG on Fuelly. That’s with 37s on the Power Wagon, 3 men, and all our bags/gear.

406Linetrash

Reaction score
In the same boat as others. 9 city 12 to 14 highway. I'm 99% city driving and best I've seen is 10mpg between fillups. 4.10s really kill the mileage.
I have 4.10's and 35's. I never see below 10. Traveling now I am all over the place. Currently palm springs to rancho to long beach at 15.2
Primm to Manhattan at 18.2
Barstow to palm springs to riverside at 13

at home I pretty much sit 12.5 -13.5.

Users who are viewing this thread