Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.10 Gearing Daily mpg not towing?

WXman

Reaction score
A well equipped Tradesman 6.4 HEMI is hard to beat on price and value.

For sure. I'm actually looking at those now instead of a Cummins because the 10-year ownership costs are lower on the Hemi.

I just wish they'd bump up the output of that motor some. 429 lb/ft is so 2011.....

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Yeah, and the oil changes that are twice as expensive, and the fuel filters that have to get swapped, and the DEF, etc. etc...

In the end, NOBODY is saving money with diesel.

We won't even get into what happens if a diesel fuel injection system blows out of warranty.....
You forgot to factor in these:
Oil change intervals are twice as long, MPG drop is nowhere near as bad when towing heavy, $10k upfront cost of a diesel goes back in your pocket when you sell it....

I bought my diesel so I don't need to worry about neither MPG nor range per tank. And as for DEF, this **** comes straight out once warranty runs out.

406Linetrash

Reaction score
Oil change intervals are twice as long, MPG drop is nowhere near as bad when towing heavy, $10k upfront cost of a diesel goes back in your pocket when you sell it....

I bought my diesel so I don't need to worry about neither MPG nor range per tank. And as for DEF, this **** comes straight out once warranty runs out.
You should see a break even on that cost at about 200-250k...since we're factoring all these things in.

Not trying to argue. Just pointing it out.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
You should see a break even on that cost at about 200-250k...since we're factoring all these things in.

I understand the breakeven mileage is pretty high and I've seen plenty of these type of comparisons, but again as mentioned, those do not factor in the cost of cummins when you sell the truck, you get a big chunk of your money back when you sell

406Linetrash

Reaction score
I understand the breakeven mileage is pretty high and I've seen plenty of these type of comparisons, but again as mentioned, those do not factor in the cost of cummins when you sell the truck, you get a big chunk of your money back when you sell
I love cummins. I don't fault anyone for getting one. They tow better. Are a lot of fun etc. I get it. I have had a few.

As someone who deals with fleet a lot. It doesn't ever pencil out to be cheaper with the newer pickups.
if it's worth it to you, go for it not trying to dissuade anyone.

Firebird

Reaction score
I love cummins. I don't fault anyone for getting one. They tow better. Are a lot of fun etc. I get it. I have had a few.

As someone who deals with fleet a lot. It doesn't ever pencil out to be cheaper with the newer pickups.
if it's worth it to you, go for it not trying to dissuade anyone.
I've owned 5 Cummins trucks, and you are correct, they just don't recover that cost difference, unless you are driving 100's of thousands of miles on one.

raven_dt

Reaction score

This is what I dont understand with the resale argument gas vs. diesel. For example, the 6.7 option was $8800 or $9300 option in 2018. Both trucks are identical so if you pay $8800 more for the diesel in 2018 but selling it today only yields you $6465 more than the gas version, you didn't recoup your $8800 (min) initial cost of the diesel at resale. Diesels are awesome and make incredible towing rigs but they should not be considered a financial benefit for most consumers.

Diesel to Gas Comparo.JPG

406Linetrash

Reaction score
This is what I dont understand with the resale argument gas vs. diesel. For example, the 6.7 option was $8800 or $9300 option in 2018. Both trucks are identical so if you pay $8800 more for the diesel in 2018 but selling it today only yields you $6465 more than the gas version, you didn't recoup your $8800 (min) initial cost of the diesel at resale. Diesels are awesome and make incredible towing rigs but they should not be considered a financial benefit for most consumers.

View attachment 16030
Exactly. The other thing I run into a lot in these discussions. Is deletes, cp3 conversions, and lift pumps usually aren't factored in anywhere either. Making the difference even larger.
I'm all for pay to play. I towed enough and far enough that I could justify it before, the premium was well worth it. It just seems there's magic accounting going on a lot with diesels as people try to argue it's cheaper. No one is hating on their purchase. Just be honest, it costs more to run a diesel. I don't know why people are hell bent on convincing themselves and others differently.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I can't speak for others but I never said they're cheaper. I only pointed out they're not as (more) expensive as as you guys make it sound.
I did say you get "a big chunk of your money back when you sell", never said you recover a full cost. Some parts of the countries value diesel trucks more than other parts so people there pay extra for the used diesels.
As for the cp3 conversions and deletes, etc... not every truck requires CP3 pump (only 19-20 MY do) and not everyone is deleting their trucks. There are folks who have 500K miles on their trucks with stock emmissions.
Obviously those who use their big diesels as work commuters and grocery getters will have much more issues, these trucks are not made for that, as well as fleet vehicles I could see being troublesome with excessive idling, etc, as when people don't own these trucks, they don't take proper care of them.

WXman

Reaction score

I disagree on the first two points. Oil change intervals on the gassers are 10k. You're going 20k on a diesel with EGR and DPF? That's risky!

And everybody knows that diesel engines lose a MUCH larger % of their fuel economy when towing. Diesels drop like a rock when you put them to work. We generally see 65% or so decrease in MPG on a diesel, whether it's HD or a half-ton.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I disagree on the first two points. Oil change intervals on the gassers are 10k. You're going 20k on a diesel with EGR and DPF? That's risky!

And everybody knows that diesel engines lose a MUCH larger % of their fuel economy when towing. Diesels drop like a rock when you put them to work. We generally see 65% or so decrease in MPG on a diesel, whether it's HD or a half-ton.
What DPF has to do with the oil changes???
I'm going by the manufacturer's recommendations. Whether you want to follow them or change every 5k is up to you.
As for the 2nd part of your post - hahahahahahahahha

lighthawk

Reaction score
A well equipped Tradesman 6.4 HEMI is hard to beat on price and value.

I agree and have a Tradesman 3500. Your sticker was for a 4x2 with a bench seat, otherwise similar to my package with 6 1/2 foot bed. I'm at 2500 miles.

I'm getting 11-13mpg on foothill roads unloaded. Down to 10mpg with camper loaded, adding ~3000lbs and terrible aerodynamics.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

View attachment 16030
Thats when buying in the spring with the no charge cummins is great i paid the same as if it was a gasser so that extra 9500$ diesel initial cost does not apply to me lol

ddown

Reaction score
Just traded for 2022 Diesel get 18 average last 2 tanks.

Users who are viewing this thread