Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd brake light camera

zboehme2

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm looking to get a 3rd brake light camera installed on my 2018 3500 megacab to be able to better see my gooseneck ball when backing up to a trailer. My truck has the standard backup camera in the tailgate. I've found many options, but what no supplier can seem to confidently answer is if I can switch between camera views? I don't need to use the tailgate camera and 3rd brake light camera at the same time, but I want to be able to retain the use of the factory camera when backing into the garage, Any thoughts? Below is one of the products that I've honed in on.

4btyjjeep

Reaction score
it will probably work but you will need to program it.

Reaction score
On the 8.4 UConnect, there should be a second input in the back for a camera. You can do that and use Custom Tronix Jailbreak to enable it. You then can use it like the factory with a small soft button that you can switch between the CHMSL camera and the backup camera.

Haleme

Reaction score
I installed a CHMSL bed camera in my 2017 1500. From what I recalled, if your Ram didn't come with the bed cam from the factory, you will need a bridge harness between the radio and body connector. The brake light also does not have the wiring to accommodate the camera. All the wiring will need to be added.

It is not a hard job, but requires a good bit of interior panel removal to run the new video wire from the roof to the dash. Not advisable to run through the headliner as a shortcut.

Reaction score
the wire from teh factory goes from the CHMSL down the left C-pillar, runs along the left sill under the dash and then across to the radio.

Haleme

Reaction score
Maybe on a 5th gen truck, but not on the 4th gen. On a 4th gen truck, you will need to route the video cable from the brake light to the radio and use a bridge harness to connect to the radio. Then a reprogram of the computer to enable the soft key on the display.

My 2017 1500 did not have this wiring prerun and my 2018 2500 does not have the wiring for a cargo camera prerun either.

Don't believe me, watch this video.

Reaction score
I belive you, kinda funny, my 2015 3500 has the wire, even though it did not have the camera from the factory. The Fakra connector was about a foot away from the CHMSL and ran down the C-pillar. (see attached pictures) That is a 4th Gen truck. I did swap in the LED CHMSL with camera but never connected it, as I ended up putting a GFC Platform camper on it.

However I just sold my 2017 1500 and I had added a front camera and connected it to the 8.4" NAV. This did have an extra set of video in for the camera. Just used the custom tronix programming to get the soft key and it has worked fine. The soft key was the CHMSL camera, only in my case used for the front cam. However sold the truck Tuesday, so can´t take any pictures anymore.

Seems like every truck is different. I was actually surprised to see the FAKRA connector on may 2015 Laramie 3500. You wouldn´t think they make so manny different wiring harnesses, but maybe they actually do. Interesting, that you seem to have a digital camera in the CHMSL. There is also a version with just the FAKRA conenctor. That is what I have. Looks like your CHMSL but the camera only has a FAKRA connector, nothing else. That also plugs into the 8.4" NAV one without pinning anything else. So it seems tehre are different LED CHMSL with camera too.

Attachments

• 20220118_160539.jpg
    20220118_160539.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220118_160543.jpg
    20220118_160543.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Haleme

Reaction score
Yeah, every year something changes with the trucks.

I don't think that is the camera wire. That is most likely a GPS Fakra connector, as that aligns with the old location of the GPS antenna.

The factory cargo camera in the brake light uses a single connector to route the brake and bed lights and the camera out.

Reaction score
Yeah, every year something changes with the trucks.

I don't think that is the camera wire. That is most likely a GPS Fakra connector, as that aligns with the old location of the GPS antenna.

The factory cargo camera in the brake light uses a single connector to route the brake and bed lights and the camera out.
Hm.... I hooked up the wiring to the light to make the CHMSL work and the cargo lights and if I recall correctly, the Camera had a seperate connector, not part of the CHMSL connector. I would have connected it if it had not missed a food between this connector and the one on the cam. But I am 100% sure that there was a seperate connector on the cam in the version I have. But they also have 5 different part numbers for the same CHMSL with cam. Maybe I got a weird one, but it did not have a combined conenctor like the one in your video. With the GFC on it I cannot pull it back out now to take another picture. My GPS antenna is in the front between the cab lights.

Maybe because it is a 2015 (the weird year) they had wiring not common on 2016 and up....

Reminder to myself: Take more pictures of stuff I change! ;) But I can try to find the boy to get the CHMSL part # that I bought.

Haleme

Reaction score
So, to answer the OP's question, yes, you can add a cargo camera to your 2018 3500 and switch between the back up and cargo camera.

The video I posted above is one option that adds the soft button for the cargo camera to the backup camera screen. Works exactly as the factory version. It will require custom fab and AlfaOBD.

The unit you posted is what I had in my 1500. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L337DOS

The camera worked very well. See my install here: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/needs-more-camera.186476/

You will need to have a bridge adapter behind the radio to tie the camera wiring into. https://www.amazon.com/Brandmotion-FLTW-7627-Third-Brake-Camera/dp/B01MR7ZP1K/

Or replace the whole head unit like I did. https://www.ramforum.com/threads/new-kenwood-installation-in-2017-1500.186417/

Either of these two approaches, you will need to run the wiring from the CHMSL in the roof to the dash.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread