Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37's on stock bead lock rims

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Gonna have to buy new tires before long. Been thinking about going up to 37's from 35's. But I want to keep my factory rims. So my question is, does anyone run 37's on stock rims? If so, what issues, if any have you had? And trimming you did? How bad did it affect towing with the 37's as far as power to the ground? Does it take longer o get going, or accelerating when towing?

I ask these questions as I put 37's on my wife's '04 Chevy and it has issues pulling a trailer up hill. It does have 4:10 gears, but only a 4 speed.

If you are running 37's on stock rims, post up some pics.

Thanks.

jadmt

Reaction score
heck I noticed the power suck going to 35's on my 2020. I run two sets of tires one set of 35's on AEV wheels and stock and I absolutely feel the difference when I put the stock ones on I feel like i added 50 hp. I calibrate my speedo for whatever ones I am running. I switch back and forth depending on what I am doing. I think 37's look great but just not worth the loss of performance to me. to each his own tho.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Thanks. That's what I'm looking for.
I didnt notice much of a difference going to 35s. She still tows just fine.
But worried about 37s.

knapprd

Reaction score
I ran 37in KO2s on my stock bead lock capable wheels and had no rub (no trimming) in any normal driving situation. Eventually I moved those tires over to some AEV wheels and it continued to work very well, even with some solid sway bar disconnected wheeling in the Colorado passes this summer. I think the "small" BFGs make this set up possible, but it works great for me.

As far as performance goes, the BFGs are pretty light (relatively) and the truck can still accelerate very well if you need it to.

jadmt

Reaction score
Thanks. That's what I'm looking for.
I didnt notice much of a difference going to 35s. She still tows just fine.
But worried about 37s.
I will say when I put the 35's on I don't think about it too much as I put them on to go offroading like in Moab etc. When I really notice it is when i put the stock ones back on for road trips and just running around. funny as I am driving home from Moab or other offroad destinations I start thinking man I can't wait to get the itty bitty tires back on :). I would love to see a drag race between three identical trucks one with stock, one with 35's and one with 37's.

UNifc6pF

Reaction score
I had 37 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss MT's on the beadlock capable wheels. Ran fine; definitely noticed the accerlation loss - but I'm not drag racing and it still had plenty of power to put a smile on my face. These did rub on the radius arm at full lock.

JeepingNet

Reaction score
I'm on 37s and yeah there was a bit of loose of acceleration and brakes, but after a few days, I never noticed it.

It's still the most fun off the line in my garage: 2021 BMW X5 - 2005 Jeep LJ Rubicon on 35s (4.88 gears)

Bbasile

Reaction score
Here is mine with 2 inch front level, painted to match OEM wheels, and 37 inch BFG KM3 MTs
very very minor rub on radius arm at full lock on drivers side, no other rubbing
no power issues, pull my 30 foot trailer like it’s not there
love this truck

Attachments

• BE9669D9-1F13-42EA-BBAF-08898C10B6F3.png
    BE9669D9-1F13-42EA-BBAF-08898C10B6F3.png
    247.4 KB · Views: 95
  • C6FCE75A-3245-4008-90C5-CBF042E65629.png
    C6FCE75A-3245-4008-90C5-CBF042E65629.png
    265.6 KB · Views: 95
  • CFE7C3E0-4229-489E-BF6F-677BB4D4E544.png
    CFE7C3E0-4229-489E-BF6F-677BB4D4E544.png
    309.3 KB · Views: 95

rdaled

Reaction score
Here is mine with 2 inch front level, painted to match OEM wheels, and 37 inch BFG KM3 MTs
very very minor rub on radius arm at full lock on drivers side, no other rubbing
no power issues, pull my 30 foot trailer like it’s not there
love this truck
Awesome looking PW!

Do you use a WDH for your trailer? Does the 2" leveling kit cause the rear to squat more when towing?

I also want to black out my OEM bead lock wheels. What paint did you use?

Bbasile

Reaction score
@rdaled thanks!

I use the CURT 17601 TruTrack 2P Weight Distribution Hitch with 2X Sway Control, Up to 10K, 2-in Shank, 2-5/16-Inch Ball. Really nice setup and works well.
I also have air bags in back and set it up in pressure when towing to keep it level.
Only thing with the air bags is they are a little too bouncy for me. I am considering a full suspension overhaul with Carly or Thuren.

I used plasti dip matte black to paint wheels. It worked fine and give me option of going back to stock if I ever wanted.

rdaled

Reaction score
@rdaled thanks!

I use the CURT 17601 TruTrack 2P Weight Distribution Hitch with 2X Sway Control, Up to 10K, 2-in Shank, 2-5/16-Inch Ball. Really nice setup and works well.
I also have air bags in back and set it up in pressure when towing to keep it level.
Only thing with the air bags is they are a little too bouncy for me. I am considering a full suspension overhaul with Carly or Thuren.

I used plasti dip matte black to paint wheels. It worked fine and give me option of going back to stock if I ever wanted.
Thanks for the info.

I'm pulling a 21' travel trailer that is probably less than 5,000 lbs loaded and no WDH, just a sway bar. No clue how much tongue weight, but the fridge is all the way on the rear so I'm sure that helps pull some of the weight off the front. The truck just barely squats below level when connected and it pulls great. I had considered adding air bags, but it just isn't needed on our current setup. Thinking that the money would be better spent on upgrading the shocks to improve on-road performance.

I do plan to upgrade to 35's when the funds are available, and keep the OEM wheels. You just plasti-dipped the ring, correct? And I'm assuming replaced the lug nuts.

Sorry for hijacking your thread @Crusty old shellback

Users who are viewing this thread