Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37's on a 6.7, What's Involved?

g00fy

Reaction score
Just want to start off by saying it really pains me to be that guy who started a thread about fitting XX tire size but i keep hitting dead ends

So I've been kicking around the idea of going up to 37's if it doesn't require much modification. I know 35's will fit no problem cause i already have a set of 35's (34.6") KO2's that i ran for a while. But i keep reading incomplete information on 37's.

I see there's plenty of guys with power wagons who added 37's but I'm getting conflicting information about how much taller a power wagon is than a 6.7 out of the box, and what's involved to make those 37's fit.

I see AEV makes wheels specifically for fitting 37s with minimal modification but no details beyond that.

Any help would be much appreciated.

yycdiesel

Reaction score

The power wagon sits 1.4 inches in the front and 1 inch in the back taller. But remember the PW have 4:56 gearings for 37 inch tires, unless you have 4:10's i wouldnt personally especially on a non aisin truck.

g00fy

Reaction score

The power wagon sits 1.4 inches in the front and 1 inch in the back taller. But remember the PW have 4:56 gearings for 37 inch tires, unless you have 4:10's i wouldnt personally especially on a non aisin truck.

Thanks for the info, I would be running the 37's strictly as a winter commuter tire, 99% of the somewhat heavy towing i do (9800lb loaded Toy hauler) is done in the warmer months and I'll be running 285/75R18's for those months.

yycdiesel

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I would be running the 37's strictly as a winter commuter tire, 99% of the somewhat heavy towing i do (9800lb loaded Toy hauler) is done in the warmer months and I'll be running 285/75R18's for those months.

is there a reason you want bigger winter tires? seems kinda odd.. i work in tired and ive ever seen someone do that quite the opposite actually lol.

g00fy

Reaction score
is there a reason you want bigger winter tires? seems kinda odd.. i work in tired and ive ever seen someone do that quite the opposite actually lol.

Honestly, I just like the look, and since I need to tow in the summer, winter is the only time I can get away with it.

BlackHillsTire

Reaction score
I'm a month out on a new 6.7 2500. Already have the 35's and the 37's in stock waiting for the truck. I'd like to tuck 37's under it stock (I own a tire store so it's a little easier to play around) I'll keep you updated! This will be only for looks, it'll tow a small airstream around so not worried about gear ratio in the slightest.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
you may not be,, but your trans will be fretting over 37's with 3.73 gears and towing. ;)

yycdiesel

Reaction score
The Powerwagon has 4.10 axles, not 4.56.

You may be right im unsure, just what i read here off the top of my head my apologizes.

When paired to the 4.56:1 gears, it made the Power Wagon the slow-speed trail champ. Best of all, engineers developed an impressive electronically actuated sway bar disconnect to free up wheel travel. It was a system Jeep would later use on the second-generation JK Wrangler Rubicon. And, if you got stuck, hidden in the front bumper was a factory Warn winch. Today, we’re very fortunate to have more than a few credible off-road packages with real capability. But back then,

Distillusion

Reaction score
That article is talking about when Ram reintroduced the Power Wagon with 4.56 gearing in 2005. It hasn't been an option for a while. The only gearing available from Ram on the current PW is the 4.10, since 2014, the same year they switched the standard engine from the 5.7L Hemi to the 6.4L Hemi.

The Power Wagon goes pretty much anywhere you could take a pickup with its existing 4.10. The off-road limits of the truck aren't really due to gearing, but to turning radius, wheelbase, and ground clearance. There really isn't a need for lowering the gear ratio any more than that, unless you wanted to tow a lot more. But the suspension isn't set up for that kind of tongue weight, anyway.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread