Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3500 Towing Break In Period

Buckrub

Reaction score
There are some threads all over on this, various sites. But if there is any real world advice, I'd love to hear it.

Long time tower of 16,500+ pound 5th wheel. Brand new Big Horn. It's in 'shop' getting a spray in liner and new 5th wheel hitch (BD5D), running boards, etc. It is a 4X2 with Level 1 trim. Payload is 56xx and tow capacity 33,xxx. I forget exact digits. It has H.O. Cummins and Aisin transmission.

Book says 500 miles before towing anything. I'm retired, and it's been a week getting up to 100 miles!!! I also tow a bass boat on occasion. The first time I NEED to tow 5th wheel is end of October (it's now Sep 28). I can add a few miles before then, but I can't get to 500 before towing a boat trailer or 16' ATV/Utility trailer.

Just how serious is it to get 500 miles of 'varying speeds' before towing anything? Heavy towing obviously more than light towing, but not sure what I'd be messing up if I have to tow before 500 miles.

Comments??

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The break-in is meant for the drivetrain and gears. I’d try to get some more miles on the truck, you have a month. But a light trailer won’t hurt anything.

The owners manual also states you shouldn’t exceed 50 mph for the first 500 miles of towing. That’s not often adhered to, but doing what you can to limit hard heavy towing right away is good for drivetrain longevity.

ironmike

Reaction score
Just send it. Use it like you normally would. My experience, brand new 2020 Ram 3500 Mega HO 4X bought 6-3-20, 20 miles on it. Did not wait to tow anyhing. Payload was 2-5k weight added normal use loaded. 4-5K boat towed regularly. Sometimes 10k load. Never had any issues. If you do incur issues, which is highly unlikely, warranty will cover everything.... still zero issues except for fuel pump recall/ replacement @ 21k miles, currently at 43k...
Do you have the Aisin transmission which has the faulty production window for the faulty snap ring? That would be my only concern. That would be my only concern...

Buckrub

Reaction score
Just send it. Use it like you normally would. My experience, brand new 2020 Ram 3500 Mega HO 4X bought 6-3-20, 20 miles on it. Did not wait to tow anyhing. Payload was 2-5k weight added normal use loaded. 4-5K boat towed regularly. Sometimes 10k load. Never had any issues. If you do incur issues, which is highly unlikely, warranty will cover everything.... still zero issues except for fuel pump recall/ replacement @ 21k miles, currently at 43k...
Do you have the Aisin transmission which has the faulty production window for the faulty snap ring? That would be my only concern. That would be my only concern...
Uh...........I dunno! ???

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
What's the build date of the truck?

Buckrub

Reaction score
What's the build date of the truck?
Truck is in next town getting add-ons. I'm not sure. I do have the VIN. Can I look it up from that? Somehow my (faulty) memory says I saw June, 2023 somewhere........

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Truck is in next town getting add-ons. I'm not sure. I do have the VIN. Can I look it up from that? Somehow my (faulty) memory says I saw June, 2023 somewhere........

You're fine, only the first few '23 HO's off the line seem to have been effected.

Buckrub

Reaction score
Tow and don't worry.
Break it in best you can.
I betcha every one I've asked (not this site) is about the same 50/50.

I'll probably do what I can to TRY and break it in per specs, but doubtful I get the full mileage doing it.

I do appreciate all the input. This is a very different truck than the other brand 3500 I just traded in. It hasn't taken many miles to figure that out.

Firebird

Reaction score
Got my 21 3500 up to about 650 miles, then hitched up, been pulling ever since

Buckrub

Reaction score
Sorry to be anal about this, but I just got the truck back from 'shop' where the 5th wheel hitch and bed liner, etc. were done. So I haven't had the manual.

Now I read it and if my reading comprehension is anywhere near correct, the 2023 Ram 2500/3500 manual contradicts itself on page 133 and page 203.

Page 133 under Engine Break in for Diesel basically says (although it's not written well) that the best way to break it in is via towing, and specifically says "does not require a break in period due to its construction". Then it goes on to imply that the efficiency will be reduced the first 6,000 miles but towing will help!!!!! It even says that the time before engine is at peak efficiency will be INCREASED if it is driven under no load or light load.

Then page 203 says, in two boxes, what I said above.......that the break-in period is 500 miles with no load, THEN 500 miles towing under 50 mph. Fully contradictory.

I am now about to bet a nickel and a half that the second part, the one on page 203, is for gasoline engines. I have no idea why they can't make two manuals. Saving nickels to waste dollars. That may not be the case, but I can't find any other reason why the manual would be contradictory.

If any true Ram gurus have a comment on this, I'd love to hear it. Until such, I'm just going to drive it, tow light, then tow heavy, and get on with life.

Firebird

Reaction score
I hitched up the camper at 700 miles and never looked back.

Buckrub

Reaction score
Seems to be the norm. My issue is....So how does doing that impact longevity?

I ask all this, in detail, because I just traded in a 2016 GMC Denali 3500. The vaunted Alison transmission failed twice. Multiple issues.....DEF tank failure, two different wiring harnesses, ECM failures, and the last straw at 100,268 miles, the Turbo went out. I had 8 miles left on Extended Warranty and they paid off. And I traded it for this Ram.

So I'm not as concerned with "Will it tow ok and run fine if I just hook up and go?" as much as I am wanting to know what that might do to longevity and reliability.

Once burned, twice shy.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to be anal about this, but I just got the truck back from 'shop' where the 5th wheel hitch and bed liner, etc. were done. So I haven't had the manual.

Now I read it and if my reading comprehension is anywhere near correct, the 2023 Ram 2500/3500 manual contradicts itself on page 133 and page 203.

Page 133 under Engine Break in for Diesel basically says (although it's not written well) that the best way to break it in is via towing, and specifically says "does not require a break in period due to its construction". Then it goes on to imply that the efficiency will be reduced the first 6,000 miles but towing will help!!!!! It even says that the time before engine is at peak efficiency will be INCREASED if it is driven under no load or light load.

Then page 203 says, in two boxes, what I said above.......that the break-in period is 500 miles with no load, THEN 500 miles towing under 50 mph. Fully contradictory.

I am now about to bet a nickel and a half that the second part, the one on page 203, is for gasoline engines. I have no idea why they can't make two manuals. Saving nickels to waste dollars. That may not be the case, but I can't find any other reason why the manual would be contradictory.

If any true Ram gurus have a comment on this, I'd love to hear it. Until such, I'm just going to drive it, tow light, then tow heavy, and get on with life.

It’s not contradictory. The engine doesn’t require any break-in, but the rest of the drivetrain (mainly the differential gears) does.

If you follow the vehicle break-in and then load the truck you will get the best break-in for the engine and the drivetrain.

Many people don’t follow the break-in, or even know it exists and the world isn’t falling.

If you can’t meet the miles for the break-in then have your first bit of towing be smart. Don’t run 85 mph down the interstate without stopping for 8 hours. Let the gears get hot and then cool for a bit, wash/rinse/repeat.

They used to have a diesel supplement, but the break-in information is the same.

Don’t tow the first 500 miles.
The first 500 miles of towing don’t exceed 50 mph.

If you load the engine during the first 6000 miles it will break-in better. So from 500-6000 miles they want you using it like it was built for.

Enjoy the new truck!!

Buckrub

Reaction score
Since I don't commute to work anymore, it's going to be impossible to get 500 miles before I HAVE to tow big camper end of this month (October). I have 180 miles now. But I cannot imagine towing anything for 500 miles of 45 mph. I'd get shot by all the Road Rage guys having to trail me, or pass me.

I get the reason, and I appreciate the explanation, makes sense. I'll do what I can.

Firebird

Reaction score
Since I don't commute to work anymore, it's going to be impossible to get 500 miles before I HAVE to tow big camper end of this month (October). I have 180 miles now. But I cannot imagine towing anything for 500 miles of 45 mph. I'd get shot by all the Road Rage guys having to trail me, or pass me.

I get the reason, and I appreciate the explanation, makes sense. I'll do what I can.
That's all you can do. Hitch up, and enjoy the trip, I would imagine all will be fine.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

If that’s all you are able to do then that’s what will happen. Take the trip slow, add some longer stops, and enjoy the trip.

Take the truck for a weekend drive or two before then, and call it good.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought that was a ‘22 issue.

By and large it was, but it the first HO’s of MY23 are susceptible. The “get well” date on the assembly line is early December of 2022.

Users who are viewing this thread