Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3500 Ram Laramie 29 LTD Classic help

cmr287

Reaction score
I took a simple approach to it. Took me about 5 minutes and its been pretty solid even when I run a larger radio like my hr2510.

Wow, nice! How is that single point of attachment holding up for sturdiness and stability for the radio?

Any shaking when going done the road.

Thais is awesome! Great mount!!!!

80dc13ed3d0a4d762f3cbdde911067c7.jpg

Q: do you have to have a special licensee for that Ham R? I’m not up to speed on requirements of transmission.

I’d certainly appreciate further help looking into a better setup.

Respectfully
Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaleRider519

Reaction score
Wow, nice! How is that single point of attachment holding up for sturdiness and stability for the radio?

Any shaking when going done the road.

Thais is awesome! Great mount!!!!

80dc13ed3d0a4d762f3cbdde911067c7.jpg

Q: do you have to have a special licensee for that Ham R? I’m not up to speed on requirements of transmission.

I’d certainly appreciate further help looking into a better setup.

Respectfully
Chris

It’s been solid so far. I haven’t noticed any shaking or noise from it. If it starts making noise or shaking I’ll probably try putting a rubber washer at the mounting point. The AT6666 it not too heavy of a radio. I don’t have a licensed.

farmallboy

Stump Killer
Reaction score
GMRS requires $70 application good for family for 10 years

HAM Amateur License
Tech is first level. Requires a test and usually a donation to local club

General is second level same as tech

Extra is third. Same as tech

Each ham level allows for more power and more hf band access. Most people will run a dual band which allows 2m or 70cm access which local repeaters work off of and keeps you in touch with people with low power and often quite active.

cmr287

Reaction score
GMRS requires $70 application good for family for 10 years

HAM Amateur License
Tech is first level. Requires a test and usually a donation to local club

General is second level same as tech

Extra is third. Same as tech

Each ham level allows for more power and more hf band access. Most people will run a dual band which allows 2m or 70cm access which local repeaters work off of and keeps you in touch with people with low power and often quite active.

This is awesome! Thank you soooooo much! I’m looking into it now.

Respectfully
Chris

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
This is awesome! Thank you soooooo much! I’m looking into it now.

Respectfully
Chris

A GMRS license fee reduction to $35 was approved by Congress two years ago and has yet to hit the FCC website. Go figure.

cmr287

Reaction score
A GMRS license fee reduction to $35 was approved by Congress two years ago and has yet to hit the FCC website. Go figure.

If I were to get a GMRS radio & apply/ pay for the license, who do I fork over $ to?

If I go GMRS, do I have to swap out my antenna and mic or are those comparable?

Respectfully
Chris

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
If I were to get a GMRS radio & apply/ pay for the license, who do I fork over $ to?

Respectfully
Chris

Start here: https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/suppor...rces/applying-new-license-universal-licensing

You register for an FRN, then apply and pay the fee online.

The antenna will not work, tuned for different bands. The mic will be specific the the GMRS radio you get. Some are micro radios with controls in the mic, some controls on the radio.

TonyT

Reaction score

Respectfully
Chris

I just got a GMRS setup to put in the jeep. Seems like it's the more popular option between CB, UHF/VHF, and GMRS.

Here's the info I used. It's fairly easy though I wish they wouldn't use terms any person not deep into HAM/CB terminology would know while going through the sign up process.

$35 for 10 years seems like a very fair License to have and I hope more people sign up for their licenses to applaud the efforts this reduced fee.

Rugged Radio - "How to get your GMRS license"

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I had a 75WXST in the Toyota when I did a bunch of wheeling. I thought about keeping it for the CTD as an emergency form of coms, but the range is just too short in the mountains to be of any use.

I switched to carrying a SPOT, and now a Garmin inReach Mini. No range issues, but it does have a small monthly fee.

Users who are viewing this thread