Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3500 Ram Laramie 29 LTD Classic help

cmr287

Reaction score
Ah. I misread that you attached the mount to the dash with something other than the screws.

Also keep in mind that in the event of a crash, that thing is likely to be a projectile in the cab if it's not super securely attached... Just saying.

Yes sir... With those two screws removed above, the screws are both long enough to hold the base plate of the mount and placed back in their original holes.

I am currently looking for some now however, I’m having a hard time finding the same thing just about 1/4- 1/2” longer.

Once I am able to find replacement screws and secure this mount, I’ll report back with photos and where to get the screws and costs. This was if someone wanted to do something like this they have as much information to go off of as I do.

If someone knows where to find dash replacement screws that are in the intention found on the center top of the dash where the cigarette lighter port is, please post here. Original photo is found in post #38.

8fd46442a7c1afa74f6440657f7e7f26.jpg

Thanks to [mention]Brutal_HO [/mention] for supplying this photo.

Respectfully
Chris.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reaction score
Could have done a Cobra75WXST or a Midland microMobile MXT275. Mounted control under a seat or upper glove pocked and then just had the mic to put up.

will say your last modification to hold the 29 looks pretty slick.

cmr287

Reaction score
Could have done a Cobra75WXST or a Midland microMobile MXT275. Mounted control under a seat or upper glove pocked and then just had the mic to put up.

will say your last modification to hold the 29 looks pretty slick.

Thank you sir. This has been a fun project for sure!!!! Extremely easy to make with no damage this far to OEM parts which makes me very Happy!

I have another mod to do to this setup. I also need to figure out where I can locate and use the same screws found in the dash but about .5” longer.

I have looked into a 75WXST, didn’t know about the Midland microMobile MXT275. I’m certainly going to look into this Midland setup. Maybe I’ll swap radios and use the 29 setup in my RV similar to a base station like radio.

7ec8cc786b52175e779672b5c4057262.jpg

0cbee901c1f4d7a094be851915e527d4.jpg

These ^^^^ are pretty slick!

I’m currently tinkering with this mount and by no means is it in its final state.

I appreciate everyone’s support and insights as I have ventured through this project.

Respectfully
Chris.

Last edited:

cmr287

Reaction score
Ah. I misread that you attached the mount to the dash with something other than the screws.

Also keep in mind that in the event of a crash, that thing is likely to be a projectile in the cab if it's not super securely attached... Just saying.

Do you think I could use Calk to dial in those indentions? Remember I’m staying away from anything that will permanently effect OEM parts.

Respectfully
Chris

cmr287

Reaction score
Keep up the good work and pictures. Due to size I wasn’t going to fuss with my 29 but inspiration can strike anytime

Check out my latest shenanigans.... ha ha ha

Respectfully
Chris

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you think I could use Calk to dial in those indentions? Remember I’m staying away from anything that will permanently effect OEM parts.

Respectfully
Chris

I just used round hollow spacers I had in the parts bin. Like a stack of washers, but a solid piece. I screwed my (RAM Mounts) plate down so I had to use longer screws than factory.

Something on the order of this:

1641977671329.png

cmr287

Reaction score
I just used round hollow spacers I had in the parts bin. Like a stack of washers, but a solid piece. I screwed my (RAM Mounts) plate down so I had to use longer screws than factory.

Something on the order of this:

View attachment 29810

Thank you much.

Respectfully
Chris

farmallboy

Stump Killer
Reaction score
Dang man. That thing came out great. Like the Bed liner material.

I personally was given one of those above cobra 75’s the range not anywhere near the capabilities of the 29. Especially with a little internal pump…….

Anyways. I like what you got. Hard to argue with something custom feasible and all that with being 100% reversible!

cmr287

Reaction score

I personally was given one of those above cobra 75’s the range not anywhere near the capabilities of the 29. Especially with a little internal pump…….

Anyways. I like what you got. Hard to argue with something custom feasible and all that with being 100% reversible!

It’s coming along brother. When I get done with it/ stop tinkering I’ll get everything measured out and posted for folks incase someone wants to do something like this.

Respectfully
Chris

Reaction score
have you taken one of the longer screws to Lowes or Home Depot to size up and gather a longer size. those bins will probably have what you need.

cmr287

Reaction score
have you taken one of the longer screws to Lowes or Home Depot to size up and gather a longer size. those bins will probably have what you need.

I have however the threads is where I have run into an issue as to what is available at the store.

Respectfully
Chris

farmallboy

Stump Killer
Reaction score
So I went down the path. I could not find the threads matching anything local at all.

I went a different approach that allowed me to use stock screws.

Keep up the good work!

cmr287

Reaction score
So I went down the path. I could not find the threads matching anything local at all.

I went a different approach that allowed me to use stock screws.

Keep up the good work!

It will be interesting. I’m still looking and trying locate two 1/4” longer screws.

They have got to be out there for geez sakes...

On my way home from Shot Show this afternoon.

Respectfully
Chris

flan

Reaction score
It will be interesting. I’m still looking and trying locate two 1/4” longer screws.

They have got to be out there for geez sakes...

On my way home from Shot Show this afternoon.

Respectfully
Chris

Get the next size up and cut them down to size.

cmr287

Reaction score
Get the next size up and cut them down to size.

I have had a bear of a time trying to find them.... Ace, Lowe’s, HD.... all didnt have this screw when I went in to go look for them.

If anyone has a link or knows where I can pic this screw up that 1/4” longer than the OEM screw please let me know.

Respectfully
Chris

flan

Reaction score
McMaster-Carr online hardware, if you don’t want to explore my simple solution.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

My 75wxst did pretty good with a cheap chicom 30w amp and properly SWR tuned firestick, but those are amps are hard to find anymore.

farmallboy

Stump Killer
Reaction score
My 75wxst did pretty good with a cheap chicom 30w amp and properly SWR tuned firestick, but those are amps are hard to find anymore.

I inherited one and only set it up once. Was told I was getting out but heard nothing. Who knows. Neat idea. If they made more models like that I think it would be more feasible to have a cb

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I inherited one and only set it up once. Was told I was getting out but heard nothing. Who knows. Neat idea. If they made more models like that I think it would be more feasible to have a cb

Uniden makes a similar one with a remote radio and mic controls. Midland makes on but the whole radio is in the mic.

Most are just installing GMRS radios these days.

cmr287

Reaction score
McMaster-Carr online hardware, if you don’t want to explore my simple solution.

I couldn’t find these screws at any of my locals stores in the thread that these two screws are in. This is why I asked. I will certainly look into your link. Thanks for providing:)

Users who are viewing this thread