Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3500 + OEM air suspension + 5th wheel

ramazing916

Reaction score
Ok. I've got a 3500 with the OEM air leveling suspension. I also have a 5th wheel. Any tricks I should know so that when I hook up, the truck auto levels. I had the 1500 with air, and after I hooked up my travel trailer, the compressor kicked in and levelled it. Was a thing of beauty. I'm hoping same happens with the 5th wheel on my 3500. Please share experience. Thanks

D

Deleted member 80

Yes, it's pretty automatic. Select "Alt Ride Height" if you want to drop the rear a bit to level it out.

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
Knowing what happened on my 2500 air ride suspension, yes I’ve been using Alt Height as well just to let some of the air out so not fully pressurized so you don’t risk blowing 2 $2000 air bags of you hit a big bump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 80

Knowing what happened on my 2500 air ride suspension, yes I’ve been using Alt Height as well just to let some of the air out so not fully pressurized so you don’t risk blowing 2 $2000 air bags of you hit a big bump.

I wouldn't sweat it on the 3500 system. Too many folks towing super heavy for too long, and I have not seen anything like that on TDR, etc.

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
Just being very cautious do t want it to happen again. Plus I’m towing a Beast.
7d3219a20af51650e6c49ec71a9166c8.jpg

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
Just push the button once you have your trailer or a load inside. You will see it in your dash saying Alt Height.

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
So answer was yes. Sorry.

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
Mine doesn’t. Makes it ride very level so your RV Not up in air taking pressure off back set of tires on 5th wheel. Makes it ride on all 4 equally.

D

Deleted member 80

It doesn't sag, it takes the rake away and levels it out, which can be important for bed rail clearance with a fiver.

outdoorfun002

Reaction score
Just being very cautious do t want it to happen again. Plus I’m towing a Beast.
7d3219a20af51650e6c49ec71a9166c8.jpg

Where you over weight for them to blow put also are you using a 2500 or a 3500?
I am in the process of getting a 5th wheel and i have the 2500 with bags.

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
I was over weight with my 2500 and hit an extremely large dip in road. At first I didn’t have it on Alt Height which made bags 100% full and tight. Did however tow a few more times while waiting for 3500 with Alt Height to take some air out and left room to expand if I hit another. Not over weight now with 3500.

Northstarfire0693

Reaction score
From what I have read on another site, you may want to go under settings and disable the air suspension when you hook up. Once hooked then re-enable the system and let it do its thing. I know some people will do it that way and others just hook and go. I.m sure someone else will chime in on here.

Joe2bear

Reaction score
Where you over weight for them to blow put also are you using a 2500 or a 3500?
I am in the process of getting a 5th wheel and i have the 2500 with bags.

The bags have a sensor on it to let you know if you have overloaded them. I believe its around 3k-3500 on the rear.

However, if you are towing a 5th wheel or have a lot of weight in the back. It's best to have it on Alt Height due to how much pressure the bag is taking when at full height. Less air will have a lot less chance of damaging the bags.

Also, to comment on what happened to the Hoff. I do suspect their air bag popped due to not being in this mode, as these bags are very heavy duty and would take a lot to pop. It also could have just been manufacture defect as well.

Nick

Reaction score
According to the Manual that once hooked up you need to have it in ALT ride height . the suspension will drop in the rear approx one inch too have the trailer level.

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
The bags have a sensor on it to let you know if you have overloaded them. I believe its around 3k-3500 on the rear.

However, if you are towing a 5th wheel or have a lot of weight in the back. It's best to have it on Alt Height due to how much pressure the bag is taking when at full height. Less air will have a lot less chance of damaging the bags.

Also, to comment on what happened to the Hoff. I do suspect their air bag popped due to not being in this mode, as these bags are very heavy duty and would take a lot to pop. It also could have just been manufacture defect as well.

That’s correct. I was NOT advised to do Alt Height when hauling. I do now with my 3500.

Xflight29

Reaction score
my 2020 3500 automatically levels truck as soon as it has weight on the hitch and you can actually here the compressor come on with out the need to push any buttons.

Users who are viewing this thread